Pics comparing the new Surface Pro (2017) and the Surface Pro 4

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I finally got around to taking some pics. I'll soon post pics of my skin on my new Surface Pro. But here are pics comparing the Surface Pro to my Surface Pro 4. I actually have 2 Surface Pro 4 machines. Both with Core i7 with 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB of storage. I'm selling one of my Surface Pro 4 machines to a friend. My new Surface Pro is also a Core i7 with 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB of storage.

IMG_1858small.jpg
Let's start off with the boxes. I was surprised that the new box is shorter but slightly thicker. The new package is now shrinkwrapped whereas the Surface Pro 4 was not. I actually like the Surface Pro 4 packaging more. And opening the new Surface Pro box is crazy. There is a crazy vacuum effect so it's really hard to pull the top off. You either shake the box or you slowly shimmy off the top. The Surface Pro 4 was just held closed by a single sticker. You then just slide the cover off. Really easy.

IMG_1856small.jpg

IMG_1860 small.jpg

IMG_1857small.jpg

IMG_1862 small.jpg

IMG_1864 small.jpg

So the Surface Pro 4 box is on top while the new Surface Pro box is below. Obviously, there is no slot for a Surface Pen anymore. Microsoft moved the box for the power supply from the right side of the Surface Pro 4 box to the middle of the Surface Pro box.

IMG_1866 small.jpg
Now, SOME reviewers (and surprisingly not all which would seem to suggest they have no significant experience with the Surface Pro 4) have mentioned that the new Surface Pro has curved or rounded sides now whereas the SP4 has sharp angled sides. The feel is really nice. The look is somewhat polarizing depending on whether you like curves versus sharp angles.

IMG_1867 small.jpg

IMG_1868 small.jpg

IMG_1869 small.jpg

The vents of my Surface Pro 4 have always been very noticeable which reminds you that it's a computer versus a tablet. The vents on the new Surface Pro are awesome! They're wider, more narrow, but is on a different facet which makes them much much harder to see.

IMG_1872 small.jpg

IMG_1871 small.jpg

InkedIMG_1865_LI small.jpg
The power supplies are exactly the same. The only difference I saw was that the new Surface Pro power supply has a "44W" label.

And the last major difference between the Surface Pro and the Surface Pro 4 are the camera and sensors along the front bezel.

InkedIMG_1880_LI small.jpg
So the above pic is of the Surface Pro 4. So you see the camera, the "on" light as well as the 3 sensors (ambience, Windows Hello, etc.), and 1 mic hole.

InkedIMG_1881_LI.jpg
The above is the Surface Pro. The camera and sensors are practically invisible. The mic hole is obvious. The photograph actually makes them easier to see than in reality with your actual eyes.

I'll post pics of my new Surface Pro with my skin attached. And yes, the skin templates for Surface Pro 4 will also fit the new Surface Pro perfectly (well, as perfectly as skin manufacturers make them). The skin pics will be at: https://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-pro-2017/459583-my-new-skin-my-surface-pro-new-post.html

Last edited:

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
Nice work... the softer edges don't look that noticeable in the pictures, but there is a big difference in when you hold it for a while in tablet mode. Feels much more comfortable.

paul87russell

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Really nice, I've been waiting for quite a long time to get one, but i'm still contemplating if the purchase is worth it coz i already have a tablet and a laptop...

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I think the most refined feature for me would be the change of the vent line. To me, it makes the tablet look even thinner without all the obvious perforations.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I think the most refined feature for me would be the change of the vent line. To me, it makes the tablet look even thinner without all the obvious perforations.

yeah, by putting the vents the way they did, you have to angle the machine a certain way just to see them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)