Bugs and Defects Thread - Surface Pro 3

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
While we hope there won't be any, as long as we're human, there will be bugs and defects. Here's the place to put them.

mrZoSo

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
During setting up my screen was acting like it was being touched on the right side. About 2 inches in. It did it a little also after setup. Updating the firmware now, I hope it takes care of it.

UPDATE: Gave the screen a good wipe down with a micro fiber cloth and did a Windows Update which also downloaded the new firmware, and all seems OK now. I'll definitely be putting it through some paces in the next couple of days to make sure it's all good.

Last edited:

M4A1Walter

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I've been having issues getting it to turn on/resume.

I have updated the firmware. Pretty frustrating. Took me a while just to get it turned on the first time.
Am I missing something here. I own a Surface Pro 2 and am not doing anything differently.

*Edit - Not sure what was going on, but seems to be fine now.

Last edited:

omegafiler

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Just the pen, which seems to not be sensitive enough, at least in my hand. Noticed this in the two tablets I had as well as the store demo model. It requires too much pressure. Normal use results in loss in contact while drawing.

Fortunately I'm not a big pen user, but would be nice if it were fixed for whenever I decide to start taking notes. :)

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I notice the type cover trackpad becomes unresponsive and I have to remove it and attach it again to get it to work. Anyone else notice this?

jedge

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Two things so far bother me.
1) the pen loop isn't as bad as i feared, but it still looks cheesy.
2) in tablet mode you swing the cover around the back, but then when you hold it your fingers hit all the keys. Yes, the keyboard is disabled so it's not actually causing a problem, but it still feels weird. Of course the solution is to pop it off, twist it around and voila. So not a big deal at all.

*Just thought of one more. And this really isn't MS or the SP3's fault but:
Why does Chrome look like garbage on the SP3? Is it the high resolution combined with the scaled desktop? Because IE11 looks gorgeous whereas reading text on a Chrome webpage looks like it's smeared with vasoline. Even their icons on the task bar are little pixelated messes. I don't have anything against IE11, but all my bookmarks are synced through Chrome (including work/home/phone) and i don't want to change. I would be very appreciative if Google fixes this soon.

Last edited:

koolnaija

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Power Cover does not work as an additional battery with the SP3.
I've been searching the Microsoft site to see if this will be addressed in a future update but cannot find anything

acsn

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Such a let down by these annoyances that detract points from the SP3. :unhappy: Have encountered the following so far:

• Type cover becomes unresponsive requiring a disconnect and reconnect
  • More than a few times now, wireless connection shows 'Limited connection' requiring disconnecting/reconnecting or disabling and turning it back on
  • SP3 fails to rotate for some reason requiring a restart
  • Device is definitely not quiet. When it kicks somewhere above 20% CPU usage, fans rev up.

jedge

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Power Cover does not work as an additional battery with the SP3.
I've been searching the Microsoft site to see if this will be addressed in a future update but cannot find anything

Isn't it the wrong size anyway?

When headphones are plugged in, but not sound is being played, there's a consistent clicking coming through.

When the headphones are plugged in, try adjusting the volume on the Charms Bar -> Settings. Do you hear a sound from the headphones?, or from the speakers?

Such a let down by these annoyances that detract points from the SP3. :unhappy: Have encountered the following so far:

• Type cover becomes unresponsive requiring a disconnect and reconnect
  • More than a few times now, wireless connection shows 'Limited connection' requiring disconnecting/reconnecting or disabling and turning it back on
  • SP3 fails to rotate for some reason requiring a restart
  • Device is definitely not quiet. When it kicks somewhere above 20% CPU usage, fans rev up.

I haven't had any problems at all with the type cover.

I've also experienced "Limited Connection" with the SP3 a couple times. Both times i did the same thing you did and it worked fine. My router does have both a 5GHz and 2.4GHz band... might try switching down to the 2.4GHz if it happens again. Btw, this is fairly common on other Win7 (and Win8?) laptops too. On my SP3 it hasn't happened in a while. Check to see if there are any Windows Updates available and don't forget to restart afterward. There have been a few as of today.

Failing to rotate is one of my biggest pet peeves. Used to happen ALL the time on both of my old HP Tablets. But i haven't had any problems with my SP3, in fact i'm quite impressed with it. It's way better at knowing what orientation i want than my iPad, where i invariably lock the screen orientation because it gets so annoying.
Like i said, happened a lot on my old tablet so i put a shortcut on the desktop to Control Panel -> Display -> Screen Resolution. There's a drop-down there for "Screen Orientation". At least that way you won't have to restart every time. Though if it continues it could be a defect.

Yeah, the fan will rev up as needed, but it's pretty infrequent in my experience. My SP3 on my lap is quieter than my pc under my desk (which is pretty quite). So far i'm impressed, during normal operation it's practically silent. Again, i hope you don't have a defective unit.

mazel_t

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Two things so far bother me.
1) the pen loop isn't as bad as i feared, but it still looks cheesy.
2) in tablet mode you swing the cover around the back, but then when you hold it your fingers hit all the keys. Yes, the keyboard is disabled so it's not actually causing a problem, but it still feels weird. Of course the solution is to pop it off, twist it around and voila. So not a big deal at all.

*Just thought of one more. And this really isn't MS or the SP3's fault but:
Why does Chrome look like garbage on the SP3? Is it the high resolution combined with the scaled desktop? Because IE11 looks gorgeous whereas reading text on a Chrome webpage looks like it's smeared with vasoline. Even their icons on the task bar are little pixelated messes. I don't have anything against IE11, but all my bookmarks are synced through Chrome (including work/home/phone) and i don't want to change. I would be very appreciative if Google fixes this soon.

I have found that it isn't just Chrome which does this and yes, it is due to scaling. The surface is pre-scaled to 150%. If you go to Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Display > you can drop it down to 125% or lower and everything looks gorgeous, but VERY small. You can also right click google chrome shortcut on the desktop and click on Properties > Compatibility tab > check the "disable display scaling on high DPI settings." This makes it so chrome is set to 100% scaling dispite any scaling in the control panel, so you could scale the SP3 at 150% but leave chrome scaled at 100% (my current configuration).

Chrome, along with many other applications need to provide a fix for high DPI touch screens. It is painful to have to pick between beautiful or functional.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros