Cost comparisons....

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Given this is very much a global site, I've seen in a couple of threads references to costs already...

Using the i7 256 as my comparison, as it is the one I am after....
And using google currency exchange rates...

US store : $1549 = ?917 = €1134 = AU$1681
UK store: $2260 = ?1339 = €1654 = AU$2541
EU store: $2115 = ?1253 = €1549 = AU$2296. (used Germany as example Europe store)
AUS store: $1685 = ?998 = €1234 = AU$1829

I have no idea why the huge difference between Europe (inc UK) and the US and even Australia :(
But annoyingly (for me) the UK is actually a whopping 46% more expensive that the US :crying:

Time for me to arrange a business trip to the US :angel:

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Chat transcript:

You: quick question... do we know why the UK spec is over ?400 more than the same spec in the US?
Matthew M: I'll be more than happy to help you with your order question today!
Matthew M: Unfortunately, This is due to the demand of the product, This will cause a differences in pricing depending on region.

So, there we have it, the UK has higher demand, so we get a later shipment date and a 46% price hike :straight:

jordanzhninja

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Given this is very much a global site, I've seen in a couple of threads references to costs already...

EU store: $2115 = ?1253 = €1549 = AU$2296. (used Germany as example Europe store)

I have no idea why the huge difference between Europe (inc UK) and the US and even Australia :(
But annoyingly (for me) the UK is actually a whopping 46% more expensive that the US :crying:

The core i5 128gb model is $999 + $130 which is equal to ?670.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Do Germany/UK use a value added tax which adds the tax into the purchase price rather than a sales tax (US) which adds the tax in at time of purchase separately?

Not sure what the VAT rate is for Germany/UK if they have it. Also may want to look into additional tariffs that may be applied to it.

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Do Germany/UK use a value added tax which adds the tax into the purchase price rather than a sales tax (US) which adds the tax in at time of purchase separately?
Not sure what the VAT rate is for Germany/UK if they have it. Also may want to look into additional tariffs that may be applied to it.
That... is an excellent reply.
VAT rate is 20% and is included... how much is the US sales tax then?

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Chat transcript:

You: quick question... do we know why the UK spec is over ?400 more than the same spec in the US?
Matthew M: I'll be more than happy to help you with your order question today!
Matthew M: Unfortunately, This is due to the demand of the product, This will cause a differences in pricing depending on region.

So, there we have it, the UK has higher demand, so we get a later shipment date and a 46% price hike :straight:

UK and AUS would need higher demand so Microsoft can sell more units, thus price would be lowered....I would think.

With the cost difference, probably doesn't make sense to pay out of your pocket to come to US. But for "business trip" that's a whole different story!! You need to come to the US to help us with our economy. :evil:

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

The US does not have a national sales tax, however most states/counties have a sales tax... around where I live it's about 7%.

Discounting the VAT it's still a little more expensive... I would guess there are tariffs as UK and EU store have different prices as well...

toddpart

Jul 17, 2004
Visit site

It varies by state... here in Massachusetts, sales tax is 6%. I paid $70.26 sales tax on my $1128.99 order (128GB/4GB SP3 @ $999 and Type Cover at $129). I've had friends in the UK ask me to buy them things and ship to avoid the high VAT... that's where the bulk of the difference is. Can't blame MS for that ;-)

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

It varies by city and state, and is *not* included in the US list price. So you guys are still paying more, just not *quite* as much more.

I'm surprised you're surprised by the cost difference. Every time I've been in the UK the prices have been nearly $1:?1 official exchange rate notwithstanding; a $4 beer here was a ?4 beer there, a $1800 apartment here was be a ?1900 flat there, etc.

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised you're surprised by the cost difference. Every time I've been in the UK the prices have been nearly $1:?1 official exchange rate notwithstanding; a $4 beer here was a ?4 beer there, a $1800 apartment here was be a ?1900 flat there, etc.
Yeah, I guess so, but with technology, the pound wasn't quite so strong against the dollar... I remember *many years ago* lol, I had a business trip to the states and picked up a Sony PSP for the equivalent of ?190, the UK price was something like ?220 - so a 10-12% difference... That's sort of what I was expecting now... not 40%.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

EU and UK taxes and tariffs are substantially more than those in the US. That subject has been addressed ad nauseam in the past for any number of products. Warranty terms in EU countries and certainly UK also have far fewer exclusions and limitations than US warranties, which works out to be another premium. That has also be discussed many times for many products.

As for buying in the US and taking it home, the US warranty is never transferable outside of the US for the reason immediately above. The product becomes gray market, not unlike buying products like DSLRs in the US with non-US serial numbers/SKUs. Things need to be shipped back to the US for service or paid for out of pocket or many times both. Yes, companies can always tell by the serial number in which market a product originated and which warranty terms, if any, apply. Last I checked Microsoft Complete also only applies in country of origin.

In spite of the fact that I am a member of a more and more rare breed in the US (far left liberal), this is one subject where I think the pricing discrepancy is (mostly) fair. Companies should not be expected to adjust their pricing and then eat much higher costs of doing business. They also should not be required to provide EU/UK mandated level warranty coverages on a US serial product owned by a citizen of another country living in their home contry. That's not even a US business thing, it is international trade law.

benrp

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Really happy with the Australian pricing, when accounting for the 10% GST and extra costs associated with selling in Australia they turn out to be about he same with the US. Unfortunate for the UK though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720