Just Got My SP3 Via SP2 Warranty

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Just a half hour ago, I brought my SP2 128GB to the MS Store and traded up to SP3 256GB via Microsoft Complete (Extended Warranty).

If you bought it at MS Store, and have their warranty you may want to think about it before doing it as I'm not too sure if it was a good thing. The reason for this is because it could potentially cost you $350 to "trade up." Where did the $300 figure come from? Well, the extended warranty ($150, but I do recommend it as I did use it a few months ago to swap to a new SP2 when there was a problem with the digitizer) is tied to the SP2, and it won't carry over to the SP3. Therefore, the $150 paid for the warranty on the SP2 is now gone. In order to trade up to the SP3, there is a $50 deductible, and this may still apply if I had to swap out the SP3 for any hardware issues in the future. Lastly, you need to buy the extended warranty again for $150 and although it is completely optional for you to do so, it's kind of necessary in my opinion.

So there you have it, it cost me $350 to swap out my Surface Pros. It's as if I did a trade in or sold my (7 month old) SP2 online for $650. I don't exactly feel like this was a good move on my part. :unhappysweat:

DynaDog

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
So, you had a perfectly functioning SP2 with the extended warranty and they just swapped you upward to the 256 with 8gb SP3? For $350? I have the same SP2 and the same warranty. This is a no-brainer for me.

My leg feels as if it is being pulled.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I think you made out ok. Your original SP2 cost $999 and you'd probably not get more than $6-650 for it now then have to come up with the extra to take you to the $1299 for the SP3. So you're still looking at around another $700 but that also includes the hassle of selling your old SP. This was a quick swap and you've got a better machine for $350, think it was a good move.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
So, you had a perfectly functioning SP2 with the extended warranty and they just swapped you upward to the 256 with 8gb SP3? For $350? I have the same SP2 and the same warranty. This is a no-brainer for me.

My leg feels as if it is being pulled.

Go ahead and bring it in. The only thing is that they might say it's not broken, which is required to initiate the process. The rep last week told me to just break it, but I ... I couldn't do it. Can't take a great condition Surface (or any electronics for that matter), and break it. Since I was still experiencing digitizer issues, I deferred to that. They didn't even need to check the actual issue.
Here's a pic of my SP3 rocking my old SP2 Touch Cover-sorry for the potato quality. The local Best Buy ran out of Dark Blue, and that's the color I want. I'd snap a pic of my receipt to prove it, but you can believe it or don't.

FreshPaint6_20_2014 2_22_07 PM.jpg

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I think you made out ok. Your original SP2 cost $999 and you'd probably not get more than $6-650 for it now then have to come up with the extra to take you to the $1299 for the SP3. So you're still looking at around another $700 but that also includes the hassle of selling your old SP. This was a quick swap and you've got a better machine for $350, think it was a good move.

Thanks. I guess I feel a little bit better. I do lose out on the taxes though, but you're right it would have been a bit of a hassle to sell the old one. I did get to use $160 in MS Store credit after trading in a bunch of my old games during their last promotion, so that at least put a dent. I was going to use it on the XBOX One.

DynaDog

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The reason I was dubious was because you so clearly got a great deal, one I hope to get myself.
Your total outlay was 999+150+50 for a total of 1199. You received a new machine selling for 1299. Throw in your warranty on the new machine and you are out only $50. That's amazing. I'm glad you got a great deal and I hope you understand my skepticism.

nrnw

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Just a half hour ago, I brought my SP2 128GB to the MS Store and traded up to SP3 256GB via Microsoft Complete (Extended Warranty).

If you bought it at MS Store, and have their warranty you may want to think about it before doing it as I'm not too sure if it was a good thing. The reason for this is because it could potentially cost you $350 to "trade up." Where did the $300 figure come from? Well, the extended warranty ($150, but I do recommend it as I did use it a few months ago to swap to a new SP2 when there was a problem with the digitizer) is tied to the SP2, and it won't carry over to the SP3. Therefore, the $150 paid for the warranty on the SP2 is now gone. In order to trade up to the SP3, there is a $50 deductible, and this may still apply if I had to swap out the SP3 for any hardware issues in the future. Lastly, you need to buy the extended warranty again for $150 and although it is completely optional for you to do so, it's kind of necessary in my opinion.

So there you have it, it cost me $350 to swap out my Surface Pros. It's as if I did a trade in or sold my (7 month old) SP2 online for $650. I don't exactly feel like this was a good move on my part. :unhappysweat:

Well, Microsoft has previously confirmed to me that the SP2 Complete Care (CC) CAN be transferred to my new SP3. While the CC is attached to the serial number, since both devices will be linked to the same Microsoft account, I am allowed to swap it to the SP3. I intend to do just that next week and then sell the SP2.

mutant 9

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I did a similar thing yesterday. Switched out my sp2 for the SP3 had an issue that required a new device and since I paid $1k for it I was able to get the sp3 for nothing out of pocket as it was a defect. Also was able to have them switch my type cover for the pro 3 one at no cost. If you get a surface get complete. I went from pro 1 to 2 to 3 and rt to surface 2 for no cost...

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I've been planning on taking my SP2 in to see if they will replace it due to the bent kickstand using my complete. I figure I could sell it for a lot more if it doesn't have a bent kickstand (it is not bent so badly that it doesn't work, but it no longer lays flat when folded, and there is a visible dent). Wonder if I'll end up with an SP3 instead.

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Well, just to report back, I took mine in and they swapped it for a SP2. But that's fine, since I already purchased my SP3 anyway, and now the one I have to sell is NIB, and still have one replacement available on Complete, since that's transferable to whoever buys it. Like sdreamer, I do also have an SP1 that's still got time left on the Complete warranty. It's got some dents, but nothing that causes any functionality issues, so I don't think they would replace it. But if I were able to get it replaced, I'd sort of be tempted to ask if they would trade it for a Surface2 in instead of a Pro.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, Microsoft has previously confirmed to me that the SP2 Complete Care (CC) CAN be transferred to my new SP3. While the CC is attached to the serial number, since both devices will be linked to the same Microsoft account, I am allowed to swap it to the SP3. I intend to do just that next week and then sell the SP2.

Let us know how it went. They supposedly ironed out the warranty terms, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out in your case.

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I am curious about this too. As mentioned above, I got my SP2 swapped out for a new SP2 yesterday, but the Complete care didn't automatically transfer over, which is what I would have expected. So I spent time on Chat this morning with a support person who supposedly took care of it. But now, when I look at my account, the old unit is still showing there, and the new one just shows as being registered, but without Complete tied to it. Since there is still a good period of time on the coverage, and one replacement still available, I would like to advertise that with the unit when I put it up for sale. Oh how I hate calling them up about this... Maybe I should just run to the store again.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Just a fair warning for anybody who wants to use their Best Buy warranty to upgrade to the SP3. Surface's go through the Rapid Exchange process, so if you bring a "broken" Surface under your protection plan, a new one (exact model you have) will get shipped to your house or store within 3 days. No SP3. Thought I'd save you that inconvenience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon