USB port doesn't support external optical drive

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Has anybody else tried to plug in an USB DVD drive? Mine tells me that a high current device has been plugged in and it is not supported. It shuts down the USB port. The drive worked on my old SP1.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, mine loads the drive but it just keeps disconnecting and connecting it, you can hear the new device connected and disconnected sound looping every 15 seconds or so...

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Has anybody else tried to plug in an USB DVD drive? Mine tells me that a high current device has been plugged in and it is not supported. It shuts down the USB port. The drive worked on my old SP1.

Works fine for me. I am using an LG Slim Portable DVD Writer that I purchased at BB two weeks ago. It's specifically designed for use with mobile devices, and has only one USB plug, vs. my old Lenovo that had two. It apparently draws very little power. I have only tried it with my SP3 plugged in though.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like the DVD drives those of you having issues are using require more power than the SP3 can provide. Did your drive come with the double port cable?

Peter England

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Apparently the Surface Pro 3's USB port outputs a max of 900ma (4.5v) which isn't enough for some USB devices. I've got some hard drive enclosures that need 1amp to function. There is one though that works if I put in a lower powered 2.5" hard drive.

You may need a powered USB hub. Or if the device you have has a USB cable thar splits you can plug the second plug end into your Surface power brick. Or buy a lower powered device.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I have the Buffalo DVSM-PN58U2VB.

My drive did come with a double plug cable. One of the USB plug specially says "Power"

Guess I need a invest in a new external optical drive if I really want to use it with SP3.

Thanks.

jedge

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Do you have another computer at home with a cd drive? If yes, then join them to a Homegroup and make the cd drive a shareable resource. Works for printers too. *Only works in Win 7/8

Windows.Microsoft.com Add computers to a homegroup
Additional helpful links are on the right side of that page too.

If you have problems sharing your DVD-RW, let me know, for me it was a little tricky.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Another alternative - if it's possible to take an ISO image of your disc on a PC you could just copy it across (either by USB stick or over the network) and just mount it on the Surface.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Yea, I got another computer at home. So it's no biggie. I'll try plugging it into the USB charging on the AC adapter a try though.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
OO! Confirm working! Neat idea,but it's definitely inconvenient because I won't carry the power cord with me at all times, and also this means my surface will have to be very close to the power supply

Marcellus1

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
As mentioned above, you can mount an ISO image. I used ISO images to load some of my software onto the SP3 and was really happy to learn that you can natively mount ISO images on Windows 8 without having to use third party virtual drives. It's awesome!

michenerpark

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Works fine for me. I am using an LG Slim Portable DVD Writer that I purchased at BB two weeks ago. It's specifically designed for use with mobile devices, and has only one USB plug, vs. my old Lenovo that had two. It apparently draws very little power. I have only tried it with my SP3 plugged in though.

Hi, can you tell me the exact model number of this "LG Slim Portable DVD Writer" or direct link to Best Buy for this product ?
The Surface Pro 3 doesn't power my current DVD writer and I have to purchase this one that works.

Thanks

michenerpark

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi, Thanks for the model name.
Can you confirm that
1) You only power it with SP3's USB port and not using any powered USB hub
2) Can you write to DVD/CD with this drive in SP3 ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss