Roku 3 or Microsoft Wireless Adapter

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
The Roku 3 now has screen mirroring and it works extremely well. Do any of you see any reason to purchase the MSFT Wireless Adapter if you already have a Roku 3?

I know the Wireless Adapter will be great for traveling and if you need to mirror on the go. However, if your planning on just mirroring at home and already have a Roku 3, do any of you still plan to get the Wireless Adapter?

Buy Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter - Microsoft Store

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Native Miracast is faster than the Roku 3 (atleast for now). Unless Roku improves the performance, i would stick with the Microsoft adapter instead

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Alright, we had a sales manager do his first presentation on the Microsoft Wireless Adapter. We've had experience with the Netgear PTV3000 which is also a Miracast device so I've got a means to compare the two.

Note: The Netgear was upgraded to the latest firmware in case people are asking whether it's been upgraded. There were a lot of connectivity issues with the Netgear before and the firmware upgrade did improve things.

But a clear difference between the Netgear and the Microsoft one. The Microsoft wireless adapter never lost connection with the Surface Pro 2 that the manager used. Even when the SP2 went to sleep. The Netgear (from previous experience in the same conference room) would often disconnect (usually around the 5-15 minute mark) and would occasionally have problems reconnecting, even requiring a system reboot at times. With the Netgear, we had to make sure the sleep on the laptop or Surface was turned off to minimize disconnect issues. Nothing disrupts a presentation more than tech issues.

Another thing to keep in mind for those considering the Microsoft Wireless adapter. It doesn't come with a USB power supply. I would definitely recommend it if your sales rep or manager is taking this device to multiple offices. The HDTV in this office for example doesn't have a USB port. The TV is immobile and not immediately near an outlet. So we had to use a USB extension cable and a USB power supply to reach the sockets. Those do not come with the adapter.

As a rep, you have to adapt to different office configurations so getting a USB extension and power supply will ensure you can use your equipment.

We love the wireless adapter here. Just put it in a small pouch (wish it came with one) or bag pocket and just go.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
i haven't tried the microsoft adapter, but own a ptv3000 and will try roku next week at my brother's. the only time i had issues with the ptv3000 is streaming high bitrate video from my nas to my SP2 to the ptv3000. under that load, the SP2 needs to be closer to my ptv3000. beyond that, i've used it hours at a time with no issue.

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
The Netgear for me is inconsistent. For one of my TVs, it was rock solid. But for the other TV, it would disconnect a lot. I have no idea why.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The Roku provides so much extra functionality that I'd go with that. I'm not even using a Roku 3, but instead a Roku Streaming Stick, which provides the same on-the-go type form factor. I own the Microsoft one as well, but I've barely used it. I couldn't tell a difference in lag myself, but that's not to say that there isn't one. That being said, there's lag on all Miracast dongles, so it's really something you just have to put up with.

strollin

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I have no plans to buy the MS Wireless Adapter. I have a Roku 3 but have never gotten the mirroring to work on it. I have a Chromecast and an ActionTec SBWD100A that I have used for mirroring on occasion.

I should mention that the mirroring works fine with my Roku 3 and Nexus 7 Android tablet, just won't work with the SP3 or a laptop I have that's running win 8.1.

Last edited:

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
That's the thing. If it doesn't work then it's just a bullet point. No one has reviewed how good the Miracast implementation is on the Roku

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Just curious what the extra functionality is of the Roku over the MS Adapter. I have the later and really enjoy watching Netflix and Amazon movies and tv shows with it. It is so easy to use, whatever I can watch on my Surface I can see on the TV. Plus of course, e-mail and web surfing across the room on the big screen.

wookiee2cu

Mar 25, 2005
Visit site
I had the Chromecast and there is a work around to mirror the screen but it bugged me that I had to use Google Chrome as it is a battery hog on the SP3. Picked up a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter and it works flawlessly... so much so that I picked up a second one so I can leave one connected to my TV at home and keep one in my laptop bag. The only weakness I found is it doesn't really like streaming 6+gb movies but lets be honest, it's 6gb's. I didn't have a problem with lower file sizes around the 1-2gb range. This and the ARC bluetooth mouse are the best two accessories I have picked up for the SP3... I just wish Microsoft would come out with a power cover for the SP3 (I know the one for the SP2 works but doesn't protect the whole screen).

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Just curious what the extra functionality is of the Roku over the MS Adapter. I have the later and really enjoy watching Netflix and Amazon movies and tv shows with it. It is so easy to use, whatever I can watch on my Surface I can see on the TV. Plus of course, e-mail and web surfing across the room on the big screen.

In addition to Miracast support, the Roku allows you to display content on the TV without mirroring. The Roku has native Netflix, Amazon, etc. which means that you're not killing your tablet battery by streaming Netflix to the tablet AND also streaming your tablet display to the TV. It also leaves you free to do other things on the tablet while watching video... and on top of that has more convenient control with a dedicated remote and an interface designed for a TV.

But like I said, Roku's Miracast support IS only in beta. It works just as good for me with my Surface Pro 2 as the Microsoft adapter, but your results may vary.

There are other options too though. I believe the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick are supposed to have Miracast as well, for example.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a Roku 3, but I haven't tested Miracast support with it yet. Overall, the Roku offers a lot of value, we watch Netflix and Amazon more through our Roku than we do the satellite TV at my house.

strollin

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
In addition to Miracast support, the Roku allows you to display content on the TV without mirroring. The Roku has native Netflix, Amazon, etc. which means that you're not killing your tablet battery by streaming Netflix to the tablet AND also streaming your tablet display to the TV. It also leaves you free to do other things on the tablet while watching video... and on top of that has more convenient control with a dedicated remote and an interface designed for a TV.

But like I said, Roku's Miracast support IS only in beta. It works just as good for me with my Surface Pro 2 as the Microsoft adapter, but your results may vary.

There are other options too though. I believe the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick are supposed to have Miracast as well, for example.
The Roku 3 has literally hundreds of channels that can be installed in addition to the Netflix and Amazon channels that jhoff80 mentioned. It is an independent device so it can stream content to your TV without using the SP3 but still has the ability to mirror the SP3's screen should you want to do that.

If all you want to do is mirror the SP3's screen to your TV then the MS Adapter is a good choice but if you want to be able to do that and view lots of other content, then the Roku 3 is a better choice.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
@jhoff80, I keep my Surface plugged in when watching Netflix or Amazon Prime, so battery is not an issue. And I find that having the same interface when watching on the tablet or big screen makes it all easy and intuitive. A remote is not a big deal either since once I have the Surface on a table or floor next to me. If I want to do other things I used my Surface RT. Over Thanksgiving I took the MWA along with my Surface and the whole family got to view family photos and a movie afterwards.

Thanks for the info. I guess if I didn't have the MWA the Roku would be nice, but thankfully I don't see any major advantages in what you've mentioned to make me regret the purchase.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
@strollin, is there a fee to subscribe to those hundreds of other channels or are they free? Between bundled Premium Cable & Internet, Netflix and Amazon I really don't need/want to be tempted to sign up more monthly or even per viewing costs.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
@strollin, is there a fee to subscribe to those hundreds of other channels or are they free? Between bundled Premium Cable & Internet, Netflix and Amazon I really don't need/want to be tempted to sign up more monthly or even per viewing costs.

I was just having this conversation with a colleague. I don't have a Roku because my BD, TV and XBOX all have those apps loaded. The only thing I couldn't do was mirror (more so extend) my desktop to the TV wirelessly. Now I can with the MS WDA. However I too was wondering what was so enticing now with what Netflix and Hulu was offering. I get YouTube's draw which I use on the big screen all of the time. I used to subscribe to both, but lost interest when the movie choices weren't that great and I'm already able to stream directly from the TV/Cable network channel's websites for free.

strollin

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Many are free (supported by advertising) while others are fee based. I also use my Roku to connect to my MediaServer and watch movies I have ripped from DVDs. You can do most everything the Roku can do with your Surface so if you are happy using your Surface to watch movies and such I don't see it as very compelling for you to change.

strollin

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes. The Media player is just a channel that you can add to any Roku player, including the stick. I just ordered 2 of the lowest priced models, Roku LT, and they work fine to stream video from my Media Server. I originally was going to order 2 of the sticks ($50 each) but this past weekend they had the Roku LT on sale for $30 (regularly $40) so I got 2 of them instead.

If you go to the Roku website, you can compare the various models.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3