Potential 1st Time Surface Purchase Question

eseerc

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Good Morning,
For the past 6 years, my family has been an Apple family, with all of our phones, tablets and computers being Apple products. About a year ago, we purchased a home Office 365 plan and have since moved our software needs (email, calendar & cloud storage) to Microsoft's Outlook.com and OneDrive.

I'm considering a purchase of a Surface Pro 3 to replace an aging iMac and iPad that I use. I have actually never used one before, but would like to give one a try if it can suit my needs. I'm hoping to have a few questions answered by others who have a Surface Pro 3 :)

1) 100% of my personal files are stored in OneDrive. How does the Surface Pro 3 integrate with OneDrive? Am I able to seamlessly keep all of my files in "the cloud" so storage space is not utilized on the Surface?

2) Does the Surface Pro 3 have the capability to send/receive text messages? (similar to how I can on my iPad)

3) How is the camera quality?

Thanks!

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1) Yes. OneDrive is integrated with Windows Explorer, so while you're attached to the internet, you can use it just like a folder.

2) Only with software or those websites that allow you to send text messages. The Surface Pro doesn't have a sim card.

3) Not sure, never really tried it and I don't do video chats. I rather use my phone or camera for taking photos.

dhbailey

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
The camera is okay for video chats and for taking pictures in the distance, but it's a fixed-focus camera so it's impossible to take close-up shots that can be turned into PDFs or used to scan QR codes. This is the one aspect of the SurfacePro3 which is not very good, in my opinion. But since I have an iPhone which is always with me, and it's easy enough to carry and use my iPad if I want to go to the library and do research and get PDFs of certain pages, the inferior camera is not a big deal for me.

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
1) Yes

2) Skype does

3) Use your phone > Onedrive > Surface. You shouldn't really be wanting to take photos with a tablet anyway.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Photography has never really been a key feature of the surface line. It does enough for video conferencing, but not much beyond that.

But the point is granted, you do see a lot more people waving iPads in the air at sporting events than Surfaces.

anon(5061193)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
My 2 cents..... I was in your exact same boat.... I bought the SP3 and returned it a week later.... I was hooked by the ad comparing to my MacBook Air...I thought sell the Air and the Ipad and have one device for everything........It does not sit on your lap as well as a regular laptop (which I and do every night on the sofa)...and it was a big change... I should have given it more time....It was a quality built machine and I regret returning it, and now that I am on a Windows phone I am probably going to rebuy it...

doublestack1

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Just purchased a SP3 two days ago. Have been using a Macbook Air since 2009. Had the original then upgraded to the mid-2011 model i7 and was drawn in by the most recent TV ads. So far I like the SP3. A few issues I am dealing with:
1. Google contacts are not syncing to the Google server when I make changes on the SP3 people app.
2. iCloud is working nicely via their app that integrates into Outlook 2013. Calendar, contacts and safari bookmarks
Had to add One Calendar to sync with Google calendar (which I use for everything except for exchange meeting invites)
3. Performance is good. Thinking about upgrading to the i7 version to match what I was used to on my Air.
4. I too was surprised the unit did not sit well while using on my lap. I purchased a leather case that had a built-in stand which seems to allow better balancing.
5. OneDrive works well. I used to use Dropbox but their app for Win 8.1 sucks compared to the mac version. I suppose OnDrive will replace Dropbox for me (use everyday to send files to my team, sales reps, etc)

Last edited:

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Depending on what you do with your iPad, you might find the SP3 falls a little short for some uses. There are some iPad apps that you can't get with Windows, although in a lot of cases, there's a web based equivalent you can use. Other than that, I love my Surface.

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Personally I don't get it, when I also see a lot of people using Ipads to take photos, I wonder what phone they have.

I wonder whats going through their heads at all, its relentless aswell I see it all the time, shows, concerts, in the street... the mind boggles - Adam

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion