Is there any advantage or disadvantage to buys the SP3 at the Microsoft Store vs Best Buy?

anon(5061193)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
This is a strictly laziness question.. I have a Best Buy 10 minutes from my house and the nearest Microsoft Store is about an hour...WIl pricing and options be the same at both?

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much. Advantage may tip to BB if you need their special financing or have reward points.

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Most likely.. If you are a student, Microsoft's student discounts would apply. Not sure about Best Buy, I here about these kinds of discounts from them too

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
The advantage for buying at the MS store is SUPPORT. If bought from there, they have a record and they will bend over backwards to help you (been there, done that)

If bought from BB, you have to go through BB support, which in my humble opinion, sucks (been there done that). After you go through the run around of BB and their lack of support, you become desperate and go to the MS store (been there done that). The MS rep will tell you that you have to go through BB because that is where you bought it. You then plead your case and say that you already went through BB and they didn't help and you are desperate (been there done that). The MS rep will bend the rules to the breaking point to help, which in the end was 200% more than the BB support ever did.

But that's just one persons experience. I take that back, twice I had to do it. Once for myself, and once with a friend. We both now shop at the MS store.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'll echo guzzler3's comments. Support is likely to be much better from the Microsoft store. Also ask about insurance/protection plan options. I am 100% buying my next phone from the MS store and not AT&T or BB.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
For a SP3, Microsoft charges $150 for their 2yr protection plan. I believe BB charges $230-$250 for their 2 year plan. And if you need technical support, all kidding aside, who do you think is better equipped to help?

wizll

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I had similar experience as guzzler. Purchased original surface pro and keyboard from bestbuy. Keyboard started having issues. Took it to ms store and initially said I'd need to go to bb, but then he said he'd talk to his manager. They ok'ed replacing the keyboard with a new one a few mins later. This is with no protection whatsoever. Bb probably wouldn't have done anything with no protection plan. Ms guy went on to say that if I purchase from Ms store, they'd have record of it and will more than likely take care of any problems.

jamvng

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Yup support is way better at Microsoft. Even their extended warranty is better for geeks, since we don't need best buy to for example setup our devices for us. Microsoft complete also covers accidentals whereas you have to get bestbuy's total protection plan to get accidental coverage I believe.

spinedoc

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Bought mine at BB, but always go to the MS store for support. I've had mine replaced 3 times under warranty and the MS store never batted an eye when I told them I bought it at BB. This is 2 different MS stores as well.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
For a SP3, Microsoft charges $150 for their 2yr protection plan. I believe BB charges $230-$250 for their 2 year plan. And if you need technical support, all kidding aside, who do you think is better equipped to help?

You do not have to buy a support plan from BB so the cost and terms are irrelevant. Microsoft Complete can be purchased after the fact regardless of where you bought the device.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yup support is way better at Microsoft. Even their extended warranty is better for geeks, since we don't need best buy to for example setup our devices for us. Microsoft complete also covers accidentals whereas you have to get bestbuy's total protection plan to get accidental coverage I believe.

:.... and you can buy a SP3 at BB or Staples or any legitimate retailer and then go to Microsoft and purchase Microsoft Complete. Even the people at the local El Paso BB acknowledged that when they asked if I wanted to purchase their warranty and I declined a d said I would purchase Microsoft Complete. Took an extra ten minutes to purchase separately when I got home....

jamvng

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
:.... and you can buy a SP3 at BB or Staples or any legitimate retailer and then go to Microsoft and purchase Microsoft Complete. Even the people at the local El Paso BB acknowledged that when they asked if I wanted to purchase their warranty and I declined a d said I would purchase Microsoft Complete. Took an extra ten minutes to purchase separately when I got home....

Oh I did not know that. Good to know thanks

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
This is a strictly laziness question.. I have a Best Buy 10 minutes from my house and the nearest Microsoft Store is about an hour...WIl pricing and options be the same at both?

There are no real advantages to the Microsoft Store other than the fact they know the devices better than BB staff. You can buy the Microsoft Complete warranty after the fact directly from Microsoft and the Microsoft Store will provide support if you have problems. I purchased SPs and SP2s at the Microsoft Store in Scottsdale and dealt with them for service but there were always people with devices from other retailers in the queue as well.

In my case I purchased SP3 from the BB in El Paso, 1) because the nearest Microsoft Store is in Scottsdale, AZ and I don't live there anymore; and 2) they gave a nearly $500 trade in for my SP2. I also then did purchase Microsoft Complete after the fact from Microsoft. When I was in Phoenix though and the SP3 pen was being difficult, the Scottsdale Microsoft Store dealt with it without even looking up my information. BTW, if you live near a Staples, their laptop and tablet coupons often work with Surface devices.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
...BTW, if you live near a Staples, their laptop and tablet coupons often work with Surface devices.

That's strange considering that the disclaimer associated with those coupons say:

Valid in Staples? U.S. stores only. Excludes clearance items, tablets and Microsoft? Surface. While supplies last. Limit one coupon per customer, nontransferable. Minimum purchase requirement must be met with purchases to which no other coupon or instant savings offer applies. Tax is not included in calculating the minimum purchase. Each item purchased can only be discounted by one coupon, applied by cashier in the order received and prior to tax. Coupon not valid if purchased or sold and must be surrendered. No cash/credit back. Not valid on prior purchases or purchases made with Staples? Procurement or Convenience Cards.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
If you can buy MS Complete after the fact, and if MS store policy is to support Surface users no matter where they purchased, then the only differences would be pricing (base, promotions, trade-in), the in-store experience, and any feelings you have one way or the other about BB or MS.
My own bias would be to go to the MS store unless there was a real price difference. I tend to enjoy my time at the MS store; I tend to not enjoy my time at BB. And if I'm spending $800-$1500+ dollars, then a nice experience is a welcome bonus. Otherwise I would just buy online.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
That's strange considering that the disclaimer associated with those coupons say:

...miss the word "often?" Always helps to read all of the words, and yes, Staples has been known include Surface devices in their coupon discounts dating back to the original Surface Pro and Surface RT. In fact, the first Surface Pro I purchased was through Staples at a $100 discount over the retail price. The word often does not mean always so grabbing exclusions on one coupon is the equivalent of there will not be any lunar eclipses because you walked outside tonight and didn't see one..

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Def. get the MS support - if you drop your surface, and the screen cracks, they hand you a new one (or at least, that's what im told, hasn't happened to me yet - or should I say, the SP4 hasn't come out yet, which hasn't led my surface to be dropped)..........To me, that's the definition of support.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb