Surface Pro 3 fit and finish

noone3000

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a Surface Pro 3 a few weeks ago and its a very nice machine.

However, I have noticed that the fit on the top 'bar' piece that is the different color grey, the side that has the power button, does not sit flush with the rest of the chassis. If you rub your finger over it, one side is raised from the rest of the chassis by a 1/2 mm or so and the other side of this piece is recessed about a 1/2 mm. It might be a millimeter, I don't really know, all I know is that it is not flush with the rest of the chassis when your finger slides across it.

Is anyone else's SP3 like this? Am I just being too picky? I haven't actually gone to the store yet to check other units and wanted to get a general consensus on this first world problem. :smile: This thing cost me $1130 + tax with the keyboard, so I want the best I can get.

Thanks in advance.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The different coloring is due to different materials used. The top middle uses plastic to allow radio waves to pass through so you can use WiFi and Bluetooth. All metal tablets need a plastic area for RF.
As for the raised metal, I think you're just nitpicking

noone3000

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
That plastic piece is designed to not sit flush with the rest of the chassis?

Is everyone else's unit like this?

If so, then I guess I can accept it, but was wondering if that was just the way it was or if i had a slightly defective unit.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
My unit has a tiny like 1/4mm height difference between metal and plastic too. I mean it is supposed to be flush, but there's a limit to mass production efficiency and quality.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
My unit has a tiny like 1/4mm height difference between metal and plastic too. I mean it is supposed to be flush, but there's a limit to mass production efficiency and quality.

This.

My Surface 2 has a very slight difference as well. It's just normal manufacturing issues.

Although I will say Apple has perfected that some how as most of their devices don't even that slight disparity.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a Surface Pro 3 a few weeks ago and its a very nice machine.

However, I have noticed that the fit on the top 'bar' piece that is the different color grey, the side that has the power button, does not sit flush with the rest of the chassis. If you rub your finger over it, one side is raised from the rest of the chassis by a 1/2 mm or so and the other side of this piece is recessed about a 1/2 mm. It might be a millimeter, I don't really know, all I know is that it is not flush with the rest of the chassis when your finger slides across it.

Is anyone else's SP3 like this? Am I just being too picky? I haven't actually gone to the store yet to check other units and wanted to get a general consensus on this first world problem. :smile: This thing cost me $1130 + tax with the keyboard, so I want the best I can get.

Thanks in advance.

The different color gray is normal as others have pointed out. As for whether things are flush etc., I haven't noticed any variations in mine. I must ask though whether people are seriously getting out calipers to estimate 0.5 mm and 0.25 mm variances? That is about the only way you could really come up with such numbers since it is not measurable otherwise. If so, one should expect to be disappointed. There are not hand crafted and individually inspected machines. They are mass produced and, as has been the case since the inception of mass production, all such products are produced with tolerances for minor variations. Such things are also not defects - just stuff that falls within the tolerances of factory equipment.. It doesn't matter whether it is an $1100 computer of a $30,000 car, there is no such thing as perfection in a mass produced world. If something is legitimately wrong with the device then return and/or exchange it. If you want perfection be prepared for a lot of disappointment....

noone3000

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I only noticed this issue while handling it normally. I will take a look and figure out if the majority or minority of these units are like this. I'm also having occasional wifi issues where I have to toggle the radio on and off to get it to work.

noone3000

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Was in the area and stopped by the Microsoft Store. Only 1 of the 5 display models was like mine. I'll probably be looking to swap out in the next few weeks.

AndyCygan

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue as you do and I was just wondering what you decided to do... I was thinking about returning since the edges are quite rough and like you said, when you pay this much, you should get a quality device.
Thanks for your help..

noone3000

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
To be honest, I returned my SP3 and bought an iPad Air 2. In the end, that's all I needed to meet my needs. Surfing the Internet and consuming content is much nicer and smoother on the iPad in my opinion. It's just a more refined OS for touch. I bought a Microsoft portable keyboard that fits it perfectly and stays detached so it's available only when I really have a boatload to type out. I use RDP when I need to manage my home servers and occasionally my work PC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans