Want a i5/8GB/256GB but found a cheap i7/8GB/512GB

MojoDoj0

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys.
I live in Sweden but have a friend who lives in the us. Im waiting for black friday to buy a SP3, i5, 8gb of ram, 256gb storage. Ive thought that version will suit my interest best.
But now I found a i7 with 512 gb of storage, type cover and a dock. All for 1300 dollars.

I know its a very good price but I have some concern regarding the overheating problems and the noisy fans people have with the i7 versions.

What do you guys think? Is it worth buying the i7 or the i5 version?

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
In all honesty you more than likely would have no need for an i7 unless you're into serious video/photo editing or serious engineering AUTOCAD programs. Or for serious PC gaming, but I wouldn't recommend a SP3 for an avid PC gamer because prolonged gaming on such a thin tablet would pose heating issues, just by nature of the design and the i7's power.

Short Answer: i5 will suit the needs of the vast majority of SP3 users, unless you're planning on running serious and demanding software then the i7 is overkill, and a battery guzzler.

MojoDoj0

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm a mechanical engineer student so I will install programs like AutoCAD, Solidworks and Spaceclaim on it. It seems to good for a price to miss out on. It's okay for me to get the i7, even tough I will not use it at maximum because the price will be the same. I'm more concerned about the heating issues people are having.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
If you can get an i7 for the same price as the i5, then I wouldn't even care if I could use it to the max.

As for the heating issues. I haven't seen them like the early adopters did. The fan will cut on during initial updates and maybe prolong video or very stressful applications. However mine has never been more that warm to the touch. I've only noticed that the fan has come on about 3-4 times since purchase. Other than that, I've seen no heat issues with the i7. I've only been very impressed.

​Besides if you aren't taking it to the max, then heat issues will not be a concern.

Pinger#WP

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I haven't heard of the fan issues you mentioned but I can honestly say I've yet to hear the fan in my i5.. You do seem like having the i7 would suit your needs and if you can get a i7 that cheap then you can't lose.. I always like to get a little more horsepower then I need, I could have prob gotten away with using a i3 but like you I got my i5 w/128Gb for actually a little less then a i3 w/64Gb would have cost me..
I say get the i7, if it isn't to your liking you can always sell it for what a i5 would cost you and pick a i5 up...

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Providing the i7 is from a legitimate source i would always buy the better version if the price was right. That said, my i5 runs Maya, 3dsmax, LR, Photoshop etc like a dream - Adam

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
It depends on what you use the machine for. Peak performance is still great. If you're going to be doing video encodes for hours or play intense games for hours you will run into throttling to keep the CPU from overheating. But you don't get throttling under normal usage. And if the price is great and you can afford it, go for it

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
honestly, in a form factor that thin and light, i'll put up with fan noise to have an i7 and large GPU. That is a cray amount of processing in that size.

MojoDoj0

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I live in Sweden so I found it on a Swedish site called Blocket. Bought it today tough. I feel very happy but I'm nervous about the fan noise people are having. On the presentation, Panos Panay said that they reinvented the fan and that people will not even here it. I can accept a little exaggeration but not like Annie UK's that could been heard from a different floor.

Annie UK

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I live in Sweden so I found it on a Swedish site called Blocket. Bought it today tough. I feel very happy but I'm nervous about the fan noise people are having. On the presentation, Panos Panay said that they reinvented the fan and that people will not even here it. I can accept a little exaggeration but not like Annie UK's that could been heard from a different floor.

My Surface i7 was in the loft room with the door open and I was standing on the landing below and the fan noise could easily be heard.

Pablo Sormi

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I think we should consider looking for something to blame, because my I5 is also having heat issues and loud fan from time to time...
I think the Desktop apps like Chrome is one major one to blame - it even kills desktops with large cpu/gpu. It just loops and kills until it is killed manualy or by restart.

I did not try going without chrome, because it is my daily driver browser - but who now?

anon(5061193)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I have the I5/8GB/256GB and have had no problems. It heated up ONCE and that was when I was running a full security scan..which I heard could do it. It was the only time it got hot and I don't even notice the fan

nutsco

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
When looking for a SP3 I also initially didn't want i7 due to all the noise/fan/overheating complaints. After chatting with the Microsoft sales staff they re-assured me I would get a refund if I didn't like it. After the initial updates I barely hear the fan now, and heat issues, in my case I would call them minor and only after starting to render in Sony Vegas. Overall I am extremely happy I opted for the i7 and will not be returning this at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3