4GB vs 8GB

dcbo89

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I am thinking about picking up one of the Pro3. Now I'm just wondering if the extra 4 GB is worth the premium. I admittedly would like the 256GB over the 128GB but its far from mission critical and not worth it alone to me. The ram on the other hand...

I haven't had a PC or laptop with less than 8GB in a while the thing is this is a strange device, half laptop half tablet. Is it worth it for this form factor?

rynoa

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I have the i3. I only use my surface in addition to my desktop PC (i7 with 32 GB RAM) and I think it all depends on how you will use it. For me, the i3 is just fine, I'm very happy with it. But, I don't run any real demanding applications on it, I mainly use it in college to take notes, read textbooks, surf the web, run MS Office and that sort of stuff. If you want to use the surface kind of like your main computer, I would definitely recommend 8GB (actually I would recommend more than 8GB, but they don't sell that :))

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
8GB hands down no questions asked! like you say even the cheapest of cheap laptops come with 8GB+ these days!!!! 4GB simply just doesnt cut it these days for such a device - Adam

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I would recommend going to a store that sales both of the varieties and decide which one works better for you. Especially if you find yourself rarely running anything that requires all 8gbs.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I got my hands on a baseline SP2, and 4 GB of RAM hasn't bitten me yet. I do some moderate web browsing and sometimes heavy gaming.
Planetside 2 used almost all the available RAM in my test (its a heavy game) and it concerned me, but wasn't an issue.

It's good for lighter use, but I would've preferred an 8 GB model if I could. Especially if its your main PC.

dcbo89

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I would recommend going to a store that sales both of the varieties and decide which one works better for you. Especially if you find yourself rarely running anything that requires all 8gbs.

The problem with this is the ones in stores never have anything that I actually use installed and I've yet to find a store that I can actually use a device as I would when not in the store. You can get a feel for the look of the device, how it feels in your hands but never how you would actually use it.

And thanks everyone else for the feedback. Ideally this would be my laptop and it is sounding like I would need the 8GB version for me to feel comfortable doing that.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking about picking up one of the Pro3. Now I'm just wondering if the extra 4 GB is worth the premium. I admittedly would like the 256GB over the 128GB but its far from mission critical and not worth it alone to me. The ram on the other hand...

I haven't had a PC or laptop with less than 8GB in a while the thing is this is a strange device, half laptop half tablet. Is it worth it for this form factor?

It depends upon what you intend do with the device. If using memory intensive applications like Adobe's CC products or work with other graphics programs or simply work with large/complex files 8GB is worth it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3