Rebooted, then stuck at SURFACE logo

Perdu Perduan

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Hello, it is me again. So MS confirmed that this is not a software problem. Indeed, it is a hardware problem with my surface 3. So they want to send me a new one.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Question for those who have run into this issue: Had you done a "reset" back to factory before, or a "refresh". If you did, did you do it via the hidden recovery partition, or via a USB recovery drive?

Perdu Perduan

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Hello it is me again,
I was in an informatics center in our city and we were able to produce this problem on 4 new surface pro 3. Here is the procedure:
When we have a new surface pro 3, whose firmware software is not up to date it restarts normally even if we have the type cover folded behind.
So in order to have the problem, we have only performed a Firmware update and Voila! the surface pro 3 does not restart when having the type cover folded behind. We repeated this procedure on four different surface pro 3 and we have had always the same results.

deezknuts

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I reported this problem back in November. it's a bug. It started after the Nov firmware update. If you want it fixed, rollback to pre-Nov firmware and wait for the fix.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, I can confirm it is a keyboard firmware issue.

I popped up to my MS store last weekend and started experimenting with all their surfaces and their keyboards. Half of them had restart issues with the keyboard folded under.

The ones that did NOT have an issue, I put those keyboards on to my SP3 and it restarted properly without any delay.
The ones that did have issues, I put those keyboards on my SP3 and those had issues with delayed restarts.

After playing around I looked at the time and realized I was going to be late to another appointment and had to leave. I didn't get a chance to look at firmware revisions in detail, but I did notice those that worked hadn't had the most current updates, or grab a tech and ask for a new keyboard to experiment with.

Last edited:

cdf3

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Well, I can confirm it is a keyboard firmware issue.

I popped up to my MS store last weekend and started experimenting with all their surfaces and their keyboards. Half of them had restart issues with the keyboard folded under.

The ones that did NOT have an issue, I put those keyboards on to my SP3 and it restarted properly without any delay.
The ones that did have issues, I put those keyboards on my SP3 and those had issues with delayed restarts.

After playing around I looked at the time and realized I was going to be late to another appointment and had to leave. I didn't get a chance to look at firmware revisions in detail, but I did notice those that worked hadn't had the most current updates, or grab a tech and ask for a new keyboard to experiment with.
I refreshed my Surface Pro 3, and reinstalled all of the updates. The issue with the splash screen being frozen seemed to be gone. When I folded my keyboard under, the issue came back. It over 2 minutes for my device to reboot. When I tried it again with the keyboard out, it booted up within 10-15 seconds.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I had fun at the second MS store in my area today. Went in to see if they would be willing to spend time to bounce any different ideas on this issue. First they were disbelieving of the issue, till of course I pulled out my SP3 and showed them. Had 3 employees standing around watching my demo, they all were "Wow!!" They scheduled me to be the next available time for a tech (15 minutes).

The tech came out and at first was, "Ok.. show me this weird issue with the keyboard that you have." With a complete disbelief on his face, till I showed him. Then it got serious. We spent over an hour experimenting with various things. Swapping keyboards, SP3 and SP2's. Trying all the locations in the O/S to restart (start screen, charm bar, command prompt). Verify updates were clean, went through the system logs, etc.

We did find another weird quirk though. If you keep the keyboard in the passive position (folded back) at all times, you can restart repeatedly without issues. But, once you flip it into active, then back to passive, and restart, you get the dreaded delay.

He's going to keep digging with his contacts in the company, and took my existing MS case number to add that it has been a verified issue.

He was bummed that we couldn't figure it out and remarked at the end "I hadn't seen, nor heard about this before. But now that you've shown me, I have a feeling I'll be seeing this issue more."

So, I would recommend anyone with this issue, please contact Microsoft so they might be able to keep track and tally up the number of people having this issue. And maybe light a fire under them to find a solution.

deezknuts

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I have the same problem. The bug surfaced itself from the Nov firmware update and I reported this to Microsoft last year but no fixes yet.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Like I said, it's been confirmed as a firmware bug, and MS is being slow to fix it.

So... if you have encountered this issue, PLEASE contact MS support and report it. If enough people report it, maybe it will get fixed sooner.

plbraveheart

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I've found this works for me: Use this two-button shutdown process to ensure that your Surface is turned off completely. Here’s how:

Step 1: Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds and then release it.
Step 2: Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds and then release both.
The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
Step 3: After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
Step 4:
Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on.

If your Surface turns on: Charge the battery for a while. When it has at least a 40 percent charge, install the latest Surface and Windows updates to help prevent future problems. For more info, see Install Surface and Windows updates.
If your Surface still won’t turn on: Your Surface may need service. For more info, go to Send my Surface in for service.

Source: microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/surface-wont-turn-on-or-wake-from-sleep?os=windows-10

Sorry I have less than 10 posts to be able to post an actual link....

Gordon2001

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I've found this works for me: Use this two-button shutdown process to ensure that your Surface is turned off completely. Here’s how:

Step 1: Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds and then release it.
Step 2: Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds and then release both.
The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
Step 4:

If your Surface turns on: Charge the battery for a while. When it has at least a 40 percent charge, install the latest Surface and Windows updates to help prevent future problems. For more info, see Install Surface and Windows updates.
If your Surface still won’t turn on: Your Surface may need service. For more info, go to Send my Surface in for service.

Source: microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/surface-wont-turn-on-or-wake-from-sleep?os=windows-10

Thanks!!! This did it! Works again :)

JetFixxxer

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

Step 4:

This didn't work for me. I'm still stuck at the "Surface" screen. I will leave it on the charger a bit more and see what happens.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Have you installed the latest firmware, “System Firmware Update – 9/29/2015”? This took care of the delayed boot up for me, and others.

nigel wong1

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I had this happen to me the other day. Freaked me out. What ended up working for me was a two button shutdown. Turn it on - when you get stuck with just the Surface logo, press and hold the Volume Up + the Power button for at least 15 seconds. My screen shut off almost instantly - however, it vibrated about 10 seconds later. Then wait 30 seconds and press the Power button to start it back up.

Many thanks. Worked for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReynoGills