windows 10 / insider

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Fancy trying out window 10 preview on my surface pro 3.

Question...
1. Can I easily restore it back to windows 8.1 later? is there a backup partition of it anywhere?
2. Window10 is suppose to be free upgrade from window8.1. If I install the preview, can I still upgrade to a proper window 10 when it comes out?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
easily restore

Those words do not apply once you have upgraded to W10 :p Make a recovery disk, unless you already have one and back up everything you have or that you consider remotely important and go ahead. You will be able to revert, but only by reinstalling the previous version you had

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
How has it been performing and is it worth trying out?

Its been performing great for me, I would definitely say its worth trying out and being part of the development process. That said I wouldn't run it on a system that i relied on for work (CG Animator) just incase something went wrong or didn't work as required - Adam

Any word on when the official Windows 10 will launch??

Latter part of Q3/Q4 is my guess, definitely no sooner. I wouldn't even rule out a delay taking us into early 2016 tbh - Adam

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info. How about peripherals, like printing? Does the pen have any issues at all?
I havn't actually tried printing so can't comment on that, bluetooth works fine ive got my pen and BT keyboard connected. The one pen issue is that the purple button no longer opens onenote, it doesnt do anything at the moment. I imagine it could be fixed in next weeks big TP update though! as far as pen sensitivity goes it seems absolutely fine - Adam

ddewar10

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking about doing this as well with my surface pro 2. My only concern is I don't think I have a windows 8.1 activation key to revert back to 8.1. Is that needed if you use the create recovery media ability in the windows 8.1 settings?

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
What features will I lose if I install this? I am less concerned about Purple cap on pen functioning then I am with Miracast Wireless Display adapter.

If it runs fine, doesn't compromise battery, doesn't cause unnecessary overheating, I'll give it a try.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Question...
1. Can I easily restore it back to windows 8.1 later? is there a backup partition of it anywhere?
2. Window10 is suppose to be free upgrade from window8.1. If I install the preview, can I still upgrade to a proper window 10 when it comes out?

I would suggest you read their disclaimers since they are very clear about your first question. The answers though are:
1) No, it is a rather involved restore. There is nothing quick about it and people have had problems restoring successfully with the previous TP.
2) Almost certainly no based upon past Microsoft practice with beta OSs. You can still get the free upgrade but I would say with at least a 90% certainty you will have to roll back to Windows 8.1 first. Even their current promos about "free" are rather clear about what does and does not qualify and the TP is not listed.

eds817

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Just installed W10TP 9926 and everything seems to be working fine except the SP3 seems to be running a lot hotter than before. Have only been exploring it for about an hour and so far I like the changes a lot.

​Will continue to explore and post here.

Thanks for the info. How about peripherals, like printing? Does the pen have any issues at all?

​No problem printing on a Brother MFC

I havn't actually tried printing so can't comment on that, bluetooth works fine ive got my pen and BT keyboard connected. The one pen issue is that the purple button no longer opens onenote, it doesnt do anything at the moment. I imagine it could be fixed in next weeks big TP update though! as far as pen sensitivity goes it seems absolutely fine - Adam

​My SP3 pen opens OneNote when the purple button on the top is pressed.

eds817

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Question...

Today I used W10TP for the first time and had several issues. Could not uninstall some programs, couldn't get it to not go into tablet mode and it seemed to run quite a bit hotter than before. Since all of my important information is in the cloud, OneDrive, Dropbox and Google Drive I elected to do a full system restore. This put the SP3 back to the way it was right out of the box.

The cleanest way to go back to 8.1 is to do a recovery. Settings -> PC Settings -> Update & Recovery.

I may try it again in the future but for now I want to get to know my SP3 better since it's only a few weeks old.

TheKingsEighth

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I was able to revert my Surface Pro 3 back to 8.1 with some minor hiccups. If you did the upgrade to Windows 10 through Windows update it creates a "Rollback" option every time you boot into Windows. My Surface was running hotter due to a sync process constantly running in the background and it would not wake up from standby after 15 minutes or so off the charger. So I reverted back. On boot up you select the rollback option and it walks you through. The only problem I had upon getting back to 8.1 was it would not let me sign into my account at all on any application. I had to disconnect my account from the Surface, create a local account, get back into the windows store app, sign in and force it to switch to a Microsoft account again. Once that was done it was back to normal.

gricardo

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I have some questions too:
1) If I install, would I lose the warranty?
2) Does it really worth install it on the SP3? It's not my main device, but I'm not really sure if in the moment Win 10 is better than Win 8.1 for touch screen devices

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Someone just let me know when they fix the power related issues. Then I'll take the plunge on my SP3 (which is my primary system). Till then I'll hold back.

Rich Rogers1

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Fux mobile 10 i just sold my lumia 920 for 25$ and bought a damn LG G4 Microsoft should just stick to wtf its good at and thats the PC windows mobile should just be put out on the pasture and laid to rest already lol smh

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise