Install Jan TP on SP3? Read this first

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Here is a link to specific things with the SP3 and the newest TP release. They mention the video driver should be at .4079 or later amongst other issues with some sleep functions.
Microsoft Surface | Windows 10 January Technical Preview | Install Windows 10 Tech Preview

I would update the graphics driver first Here is a link to Intel for version .4080 which was released a week or so ago.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24348&lang=eng&ProdId=3719

I just did this on my SP3 and it is a manual update. First, download the zip version and extract the files somewhere. From device manager select the display adapter select update the driver. From the next dialog box select "Browse my computer..." From the next dialog select "Let me pick..." , select "have a disk" and then browse to the folder where you extracted the download and pick the "graphics" subfolder. There is an .inf file there called idglh64.inf. Pick this and away you go. Doesn't even require a reboot although I recommend one before installing the TP.

Last edited:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Oooff. I think I might hold off personally. I don't mind being a guinea pig, sometimes. But some of those issues are show stoppers for me.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
After reading the TP forums I think I am going to hold out for now on all my machines. Lots of issues and under 8.1 my devices work great.

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
For those of you that have the 4079 or 4080 graphics drivers are mp4 video files playing for you? The only way video files play for me is using the Chrome browser WMP doesn't even work. Any you tube video in IE will also crash the browser. Please tell me I'm not the only one!!

cgavula

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm still seeing a number of issues - Cortana doesn't work correctly with audio input, many apps crash, especially video based ones (but iTunes works). Magic puzzle doesn't display the pieces correctly and so on.

​But it is a preview, not even a public beta, so I expect significant issues still at this point and I expect things will improve over time.

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I reached out to Gabe Aul to see if MS or Intel is working on a functional driver update to fix the remaining issues but haven't heard back yet. If you uninstall the driver and delete the software it will switch you back to the Microsoft basic driver which will allow you to use videos etc. but it is extremely limited (no dual monitor support etc.)

A.

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way for me to remove the download? Meaning, I downloaded the TP and tried to installed...it failed...twice...but now I do not want to install it..However, I keep getting update pop-ups that tells me it's ready for install...any way to remove that so I don't keep getting the pop up?

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I reached out to Gabe Aul to see if MS or Intel is working on a functional driver update to fix the remaining issues but haven't heard back yet. If you uninstall the driver and delete the software it will switch you back to the Microsoft basic driver which will allow you to use videos etc. but it is extremely limited (no dual monitor support etc.)

A.

There was another solution on another thread. Disable hardware acceleration in IE Advanced settings. Videos will work after that! No need to delete the driver. That just causes so many more issues

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb