Tingling/electric sensation when touching SP3 while charging

mad820

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi

When I touch the glass or the back of my SP3 while it is charging, I get a tingling/electric sensation.
It doesn't hurt, but it's a bit annoying and it certainly doesn't feel normal.

Does anyone of you have experience with this problem?
Could it be a grounding issue on the device? (I'm using the SP3 charger + a normal plug, so I don't think it has to do with the plug)
Or does every SP3 encounter this problem?

It's mostly prevalent when sliding my hand over the back of the device, then it feels like the surface is vibrating (which it isn't, it's just the some electrical charge that gives that sensation, I guess).

Thanks!!!

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi

When I touch the glass or the back of my SP3 while it is charging, I get a tingling/electric sensation.
It doesn't hurt, but it's a bit annoying and it certainly doesn't feel normal.

Does anyone of you have experience with this problem?
Could it be a grounding issue on the device? (I'm using the SP3 charger + a normal plug, so I don't think it has to do with the plug)
Or does every SP3 encounter this problem?

It's mostly prevalent when sliding my hand over the back of the device, then it feels like the surface is vibrating (which it isn't, it's just the some electrical charge that gives that sensation, I guess).

Thanks!!!

Normally it has to do with Power Source. Just check whether it appears when charging from another Plug Point..

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a dell vostro that seem to replicate your issue. When the lappy is off but the power is on, I cn feel tiny zaps from the edges of the lappy.

Electrical leakage?

mad820

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately it appears on every plug I've currently used (in multiple buildings, including a lab that that takes quite a lot of care with power supply).

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue too. I think its common in Surface devices, as I've also experienced a tingling experience in both my Pro 3 and RT.
(However in the RT you sometimes got small electric shocks :/)

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Could be static Electric shocks.. I dont know what it is... but My Office Desk made of PVC [i just know its Sheet of PVC] gives me shocks, when i rub hands on it or accidentally moves things around :O

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Do you have access to a multimeter? Probe the Surface case to see if any voltage is referenced to ground. If there is I would exchange it. No matter what MS or the reseller tell you there should not be any voltage referenced to ground from the case of consumer electronics.

anon(5604227)

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
The ground line in your home is wrong or your socket does not have ground pin. It is a little bit unsecure if you touch a device with wet hands and/or wet floor.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
It's got to be static....:smile:

Yes your SP3 is charging, but it's only a few volts (12 I think) so you wouldn't never feel it. Also as there is no earth connection it can't be an earthing issue.

T1h1

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Fix your ground line at home ASAP!!! This happend to me on my home comp and in EU we use 220V. Whenever i tuched my comp or my monitor i would get sirusly shocked but somehow it all worked fine until i tryed connecting my TV with my comp-now that was some FIREWORK! I fryed my comp and my TV. And all just because my wall socket did not have ground pin.

mad820

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Fix your ground line at home ASAP!!! This happend to me on my home comp and in EU we use 220V. Whenever i tuched my comp or my monitor i would get sirusly shocked but somehow it all worked fine until i tryed connecting my TV with my comp-now that was some FIREWORK! I fryed my comp and my TV. And all just because my wall socket did not have ground pin.

Like I stated before, it happens with every plug I use. In every building I use it in. Believe me, it's not the plug itself.
Btw, the adapter doesn't provide a ground pin, so the ground of the socket isn't used (which shouldn't be a problem for a device like this).

vgian

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
This has nothing to do with home ground line because SP3 charger does not have any ground lead after all...
This is a common -and a little annoying- issue among devices when charging.

mad820

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
This has nothing to do with home ground line because SP3 charger does not have any ground lead after all...
This is a common -and a little annoying- issue among devices when charging.

Indeed.

But now I'm getting confused. Because I just tried yet another socket, and when I use that one the problem doesn't occur.
Really confusing.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Weird. I haven't had that issue on either my RT or SP3 (and MS and I have gone through 3 SP3's trying to diagnose a firmware issue).

Start a chat with MS tech support (do the chat on another system, not on the SP3, so you can reboot as needed). They might exchange it for you as there might be V+ jumping to the magnesium case somewhere.

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Well, I don't know about mad820, but I don't think that its that much of an issue to send it back :/ it just seems like a small inconvenience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills