Micro SDXC ?

anon(9227267)

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Have a Pro 3 i5-128 - ordered a:

Samsung Pro 64GB micro SD HC microSDXC micro SDXC Class 10 UHS I Card w/ Adapter

This is my 1st micro card purchase and was wondering if there was anything I should be aware of as far as installing/formatting/etc.

jontyfernz

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site

Samsung Pro 64GB micro SD HC microSDXC micro SDXC Class 10 UHS I Card w/ Adapter

This is my 1st micro card purchase and was wondering if there was anything I should be aware of as far as installing/formatting/etc.

SDXC is faster,better and supports cards upto 2tb.Nothing different about installing or formatting

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Nah, just plop it in and go.

I have the SP3 i5/128 myself. Maybe its just not necessary for you, but I strongly suggest getting a 128 microSD.

anon(9227267)

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Nah, just plop it in and go.

I have the SP3 i5/128 myself. Maybe its just not necessary for you, but I strongly suggest getting a 128 microSD.

I don't really need anymore storage right now. I have a Thermaltake BlacX 5G ST0019U ABS Plastic 2.5" & 3.5" Black SATA I/II/III USB 3.0 Caddy connected to the docking station and several SSDs if needed. But, the more I get used to the Pro 3 and integrate it into my daily routine, I may want added "on-board" storage.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

In my experience, all MicroSDXC cards have a high failure rate. They are great for storage but do not rely upon them as the only location for a file - keep things backed up. Regardless of what anyone says, they are also not high performance devices. Expect the card to perform slower for file access (opening and saving) than the SSD. As for format, I prefer exfat if the card is going to remain permanently resident in the slot....

anon(9227267)

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
In my experience, all MicroSDXC cards have a high failure rate. They are great for storage but do not rely upon them as the only location for a file - keep things backed up. Regardless of what anyone says, they are also not high performance devices. Expect the card to perform slower for file access (opening and saving) than the SSD. As for format, I prefer exfat if the card is going to remain permanently resident in the slot....

Agree 100% on the back ups - I back up my backups. I have done some research on the card and have seen the exfat suggestion elsewhere. I picked the Samsung Pro because I have 2 Pro 850 SSDs in desktop, best benchmarks of any of the SSDs I've had. Maybe not the most scientific reason for the choice, but it seemed like a good idea at the time...

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
i would format NTFS if you're planning to put OneDrive folder on the card.
Good choice btw, the samsung pro sdxc is the fastest

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
One more thing to protect your data from theft and all, something I have done on my 64GB SanDisk I use with my Venue 8 Pro....Bitlocker protect it.

anon(9227267)

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Card arrived - installed/recognized w/o issue - exFAT format - ran an ATTO benchmark - formatted to NTFS - re-ran ATTO - currently backing up C:\ to it.
So far, all good - thanks for all your suggestion/comments/whatevers...:smile:

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I would leave as ExFAT. NTFS was not designed for this kind of media. Should your SP fail, with ExFat you can put in anything and read/write with no issues.

There is a reason that modern cards come pre formatted as ExFAT. If Sandisk, Lexar, etc, etc thought their cards would perform better as NTFS, then why not format them at factory to NTFS.

anon(9227267)

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Clive,

Appreciate reply. TBH, I don't know enough about the formats to make an intelligent comment here...
I have seen NTFS suggested, as well as the exFAT.

I tend to agree with your statement "If Sandisk, Lexar, etc, etc thought.....". It makes sense.

This is my 1st card, as mentioned above, a learning experience for me. I shall not put anything on it I am worried about losing, have an external OCZ Vector 256 GB for that.
Thanks again, I reserve the right to reformat at any given time.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Actually, most SD cards are preformatted either as FAT, FAT32, or exFAT for compatibility across various platforms. The type of formatting is dependent on the size of the SD card.

The recommended way to format SD cards, is to use the SDFormatter software form the SDcard association. You can download the software from: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

The software will put the recommended format onto the SD card.

One thing I personally would recommend: DON'T try to re-partition SDXC cards. There is a special partition for the encryption, once you take out that partition, you can't encrypt by the default means (you still can encrypt data with other software). It's a really, really small partition, so it isn't worth the effort to delete it to gain any extra space (trust me, I know as I learned the hard way). Also for some reason after I've wiped out those small partitions, the cards just didn't perform as well for read/write speeds. I don't understand why that happened, but it's just something I noticed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism