Thinkpad Yoga 12

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking of getting an alternative to the Surface Pro 3. I am in that point of my college career that I am writing a lot. Honestly the track pad sucks and the keyboard is just okay. I wanted to get some opinions of the Thinkpad yoga 12 which comes with a stylist, and has the iconic Thinkpad keyboard. I am also thinking of waiting to get the Thinkpad 15 once it supports the stylist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Basically what device would you get if the Surface Pro wasn't available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevroc

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I switched from a SP3 to Thinkpad Yoga 12. I found that I needed a better keyboard experience and the ability to use like a normal laptop versus just as a tablet. With the TP Yoga's keyboard and fold back screen design, it's very easy to "flip around" if you want to use as a tablet with stylus or flip back for laptop use. I just upgraded from the first gen TP Yoga 12 to the second gen as well last week. Wouldn't even consider going back at this point. The other benefit is that it takes a full size SSD so I put my 1TB SSD drive in it and it has a couple of USB 3 ports on it and if you get the option OneLink Dock, it's a great expansion dock. I can't say enough good things about it and especially the keyboard...

Regarding the TP 15, I think that's going to be a monster and a niche product for creative's. With the dedicated graphics card etc it's going to be way too much for "note taking". However, if you need artistic capabilities then I don't think you can beat it.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if the Surface Pro 1 & 2 pen works with the thinkpad yoga 12?

About how many hours of battery life are you getting for the Thinkpad yoga 12?

Last edited:

alisaad619

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I have both devices at home , my personal device is the Thinkpad yoga 12 and my mother device is the Surface Pro 3 (I actually wanted to buy the Surface but could not afford the i7 version , so I got this i7 thinkpad yoga for 650$ last black friday)

after using both devices I can see advantages and disadvantages to each one :- Thinkpad : a truly great keyboard , easily used in lab while typing , disadavtage is it's weight , really it very hard to use as a tablet and write with pen on it (also the pen is not as good as the Surface pen , it's not accurate at corners and when tilted)
Surface: I never saw windows run so smoothly and with know issue as I saw with this device (it really show how awful are OEMs with there crapware ) , the weight is amazing for a computer , very usable as a tablet and when writing with the pen , the pen is very accurate even in corner or if tilted , the disadvantage is the keyboard , it's not a good typing feel (because it's too thin ) but this is solvable by not getting the type cover instead buy the Thinkpad bluetooth or wired keyboard + a bluetooth Arc mouse Amazon.com: ThinkPad Compact USB Keyboard with TrackPoint - US English: Computers & Accessories

also consider waiting for Surface Pro 4 , it should be available last summer or early fall (maybe it get released before you start your next semester)
also the most important is use "Onenote" it's the greatest program for note-taking and studying

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss