Does anyone have experience with the HooToo UE01 Ethernet/USB?

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
HooToo UE01 Ethernet/USB issues

Does anyone have any experience with the HooToo UE01 Ethernet/USB dongle? I picked one up last week as an alternative to Microsoft's version of that device because the HooToo has 3 USB 3.0 ports as well as Gigabit Ethernet. Well, I can't get the darn thing to work. When I plug it in to my i7/256GB SP3, I get the "connected" tone, then about every 20-25 seconds I get the "disconnected" tone, and it never decided to reconnect, and I get no network connectivity.

I did a little research before buying the HooToo, and all people seem to like it, and I didn't install the drivers from the CD it comes with because all reviewers didn't use it. So I did the same (I let Windows install the driver). Didn't work. So I downloaded drivers from HooToo, and still doesn't work.

Does anyone know how to get this to work? And if possible, maybe some alternatives?

Also, if I bought the Microsoft device, would I be able to connect it to a USB hub, or does it have to be directly connected to the Surface?

Thanks!!!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: HooToo UE01 Ethernet/USB issues

Does anyone have any experience with the HooToo UE01 Ethernet/USB dongle? I picked one up last week as an alternative to Microsoft's version of that device because the HooToo has 3 USB 3.0 ports as well as Gigabit Ethernet. Well, I can't get the darn thing to work. When I plug it in to my i7/256GB SP3, I get the "connected" tone, then about every 20-25 seconds I get the "disconnected" tone, and it never decided to reconnect, and I get no network connectivity.

I did a little research before buying the HooToo, and all people seem to like it, and I didn't install the drivers from the CD it comes with because all reviewers didn't use it. So I did the same (I let Windows install the driver). Didn't work. So I downloaded drivers from HooToo, and still doesn't work.

Does anyone know how to get this to work? And if possible, maybe some alternatives?

Also, if I bought the Microsoft device, would I be able to connect it to a USB hub, or does it have to be directly connected to the Surface?

Thanks!!!

Were you able to test the device before purchasing it? It's possible that you've acquired a defective version of the device. Try going back to the store and have it replaced, chances are that it is still covered by the warranty period for product replacement.

As for the USB hub, as long as the pins and connections are complete (and that the distance from the original port is not too long), the device should work. The most common causes for devices not working when not directly connected to the main USB Port are:
- distance from main port - some devices are sensitive to input voltage, and the farther one goes from the main USB port (e.g. using a longer cable in addition to the hub), the device no longer powers up. This is common with certain hard drives.
- incomplete pins - this is common for charging hubs, whereas the number of pins required to charge a USB device is less than what is needed for data transfer.

It would be best to test the hub with a Microsoft device, as well, before purchasing it to be sure that it indeed works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos