Problem with SP3 Type Cover

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
So my Type Cover for my SP3 is only about 2-3 weeks old, and I WAS having an issue with it (it seemed to resolve itself as I was typing this, but figured I continue...)

The Type Cove was working great last night, and I turned on my SP3 today, and got no response from the keyboard at all, and the backlight wouldn't even come on. I tried every combination of turning off/on the SP3, disconnecting/reconnecting the Type Cover, but nothing seemed to work. So after leaving it alone for about 10 minutes, I decided to try it one more time, and it worked. And the backlight works as well, almost like there was never a problem.

Is this a common occurrence for the Type Cover? Should I be worried, and maybe swap it out for a new one?

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I haven't had this problem with the Pro 3, but I have with my old RT (Didn't have backlit keyboard though)
You could see if:
-There is any debris or decolouration with the connectors between the tablet and/or keyboard which could be preventing the connection
-See if the keyboard is connected to the Surface: Settings->PC Devices->Devices if the Keyboard isn't there then it's not connected. Disconnect and the reconnect the keyboard and wait 'til it appears on devices, if its not reconnecting I would see if there is anything blocking the connection or get in touch with Microsoft.
-Connect the Keyboard during System Updates, patches are released to solve issues like this and I'm guessing that there are patches for disconnected keyboards

Hope this helps

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

I checked the connectors, and actually blew on it to clear anything that might be there.

I didn't see if the keyboard was connected via the operating system. I figured that if I couldn't type, and the backlight was out, that it probably wouldn't be connected anyway... lol..

There were no updates waiting, or being installed.

I'll keep my eye on it and get the box and receipt ready...

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Not sure... but here's what happened today...

I decided to take out my SP3 at work, and test one more time, before going to my local Microsoft Store. The darn Type Cover worked... so I waited a few minutes, then turned off/on the SP3, and it didn't work again. So I went to the MS Store, and thankfully it didn't work for them either. But here's what else happened... so the guy tried my Cover on another SP3, and it didn't work there either. Then he says "Wait, let me try something...". He gets a Cover that he knows works and snaps it onto my SP3, and it still didn't work. So he then says "I'm going to replace EVERYTHING." I had a feeling that I might get one or the other replaced, so I made sure to bring the boxes and receipt, along with the power cord and pen for the SP3. So he swapped out the SP3 AND the Type Cover!! WOO HOO!!

But a side note... about 10 minutes ago I finished doing all of the updates, and for a good 5 minutes or so I couldn't turn on the new SP3. Any tap or press on the power button didn't do a thing, but then somehow it turned on, and thankfully the Type Cover is working. I'm almost thinking that maybe one of the newest updates is doing something weird with the SP3...??

I'm not going to get too involved with installing my programs back on here for a while, just to see how stable it will be. I don't want to do to much to it if I'll end up doing a restore.

I hope you get your Cover working....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs