Should I get Microsoft vs Me?

Leontes Henriquez

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft vs Me

Dear readers,

I installed yesterday's Windows 8.1 firmware update on my Surface Pro 3, and have had some issues ever since. I got in contact with their support and offered me a repair meaning: exchange my Surface for a refurbished one. I've read some other posts about this terrible term "refurbished" and want some opinions. My SP3 is only a month old, and replacing a €1300 device for a refurbished second hand one feels a bit awkward. Especially since my Surface RT was replaced for a brand new one.

I contacted several legal institutions here in the Netherlands and they said that replacing such device with a refurbished one is against the law (they should repair my device or replace it with a new one). I sent out a letter to MSFT NL on this issue today, but was still wondering what other SP3 or Surface users might think.

I love Microsoft and all their products, but 1300 euros of my savings is a lot of money and replacing it with a refurbished device feels like a downgrade.

Any opinions?

Last edited:

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't have W10 on laptop (it destroyed my W7 last year. I couldn't roll back to 7 and now I'm using torrent copy of it). Anyway, long time has passed since then and I'm sure there is now proper way to downgrade to stable version of W10 or go back to 8.1 til MS resolves the issue you are having.

I was lucky first and last time with refurbished device- router. Even though it did say refurbished I still think it was brand new. But I wouldn't get refurbished SP for only-month-old one. No way. Try to downgrade your OS or fight for new one (there is a little chance to win, nobody forced you to install half baked OS)

Topataco

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Microsoft vs Me

If you're talking about the last firmware update, the one with the HD update thing, then yes, go and challenge them for a new one, because frankly it was their update that ruined your device, not you. If you're talking about the Windows 10 preview, then no since you're at risk for using slightly unstable software, but it doesn't sound like you're having this problem. As for refurbished models, I bought mine refurbished and it works like a charm, the only thing I've found is what I guess to be a dead pixel in one of the corners, doesn't bother me at all. And no other problems since I discovered that. I think that "refurbished" Surfaces are mostly just returned Surfaces that work fine or surfaces that were opened up for some reason and can't be sold as new.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
If that is truly law then make sure you get all that you can in writing so that you have a case. I'm not sure if Microsoft will ever get back to you, but just in case they do, you'll need all of the proof you can get your hands on.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
If it is a "refurbished" one from MS then I would think it would be fine.

Mine was only a couple of months old and went back due to me cracking the screen :crying: The replacement (they don't repair yours) was perfect, in 'as new' condition.

I went to re-register it and the serial number had already been changed which was a nice touch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3