Why is my Surface Pro 3 not upgrading to Windows 10 yet?

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Mine downloaded W10 but wouldn't install. I went with the ISO download, but I'm not sure if that was the best thing to do (maybe W10 it doesn't have surface pro 3 drivers baked in).

Stump3r

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Mine updated without issue, then again I'm an insider and was beta testing the preview on my laptop. I noticed windows downloaded last night. The ISO works fine as I've done the wife's and kids laptops as well.

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Snap. Same as you. had to download iso version (or rather make a bootable usb installer version) and did a clean install of win10 on my sp3. Doesn't appear to be any problems - wifi and bluetooth ok. Only one problem is when pressing the button of the pen suppose to open note and/or snap shot of screen but it doesn't

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Still waiting... anyone with more luck than me?

My SP3 had the upgrade waiting for me in the morning. My older Dell laptop did not. So I ended up doing the ISO install. Just a few extra steps but all good in the end.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my BlackBerry Passport

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My laptop was not getting it either on 8.1 I just downloaded using the download tool from Microsoft website and upgraded that way.

mmar1974

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE... I couldn't wait and when the application gave me the option to download the updated application took it and downloaded manually... so I'm a happy owner of a SP3 with Windows 10...

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Mine did the upgrade at about 12:30am on the 29th, went flawlessly. Then yesterday afternoon I did a clean install with the USB key download, and now I have a clean Windows 10 install on my SP3 and all is well.... :)

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I waited till 30 July and the installation was still not triggered. I could not wait and did the following:

1. Download Media Creation Tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
  2. Run the program
  3. Choose "Upgrade my PC now"

You can choose to keep your data files (but not programs), or remove every things. I chose the latter, which I supposed should be a clean installation.

This works perfectly for my Surface Pro 3 and Surface Pro 1.

qwertyops

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Tweedie, what type of USB jump drive did you use? I was able to use the MS Utility to download the image onto USB, but it doesn't boot up properly due to an error. I've set in UEFI to load the USB prior to SSDSP3Win10.jpg. Did you download the ISO and manually put together a bootable jump drive? I'm trying to avoid burning a DVD of the ISO and hooking up external DVD drive to my Surface Pro 3.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Tweedie, what type of USB jump drive did you use? I was able to use the MS Utility to download the image onto USB, but it doesn't boot up properly due to an error. I've set in UEFI to load the USB prior to SSDView attachment 109698. Did you download the ISO and manually put together a bootable jump drive? I'm trying to avoid burning a DVD of the ISO and hooking up external DVD drive to my Surface Pro 3.
Yep, I ran into that when I created a W8.1 recovery USB drive. You will have to recreate the USB drive via the following instructions:
Format the USB to FAT32
Run elevated command prompt and run the following commands:
  • diskpart
  • list disk (will show which drives are connected)
  • sel disk x (x = the disk number of your USB drive)
  • sel part 1
  • active
  • exit
mount your ISO by double clicking it. Make note the drive letters of your ISO and your USB drive
from the command prompt
  • robocopy (drive letter of ISO): (drive letter of USB): /mir

Then when it's done copying you can reboot from your USB and do the install.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Tweedie, what type of USB jump drive did you use? I was able to use the MS Utility to download the image onto USB, but it doesn't boot up properly due to an error. I've set in UEFI to load the USB prior to SSDView attachment 109698. Did you download the ISO and manually put together a bootable jump drive? I'm trying to avoid burning a DVD of the ISO and hooking up external DVD drive to my Surface Pro 3.

What I did was use the tool from MS, but I chose to make the USB drive, then ran the install while my SP3 was running, I didn't boot to the USB drive. Maybe give that a shot??

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Just a generic key fob usb that I got from microsoft demos. I doubt it would be anything fancy branded version.

I didn't download the iso. I used that media creator from microsoft to create my usb bootable installer
Windows 10

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3