SP3 and Windows 10- Huge dissapointment

wardo5757

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a clean install of windows 10 on my SP3 (256GB I7), this morning I get to work and pulled a warm Surface from my bag. Battery life is precious on these devices and I lost 30% of it on my way to work this morning. Also, I've had to restart my SP3 3 times since W10 in order to get the mouse pad to work again and the Bluetooth is very unstable for my pen and MS Wedge mouse. These problems have been plaguing the Surface line since the day they first introduced it and I thought that all of these issues were to be fixed with Windows 10?
I cannot believe I'm still having these sort of issues within the MS family of products. All we keep hearing from this company is just wait, the fix or the functionality is coming, just not now. This is so disappointing for me, I've been touting MS for years, repeating the same BS they have been spewing, now I'm done waiting on them, I'm through supporting them with my hard earned money, competition is pretty stiff MS, you need to start fixing what you have instead of constantly trying to "re-create" yourself.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Weird. Mine didn't have any of these problems. I have noticed a slight decrease in battery life, but it's nothing dramatic.

Was the Surface hot when you got it out of your bag? It may be that its not going into standby mode correctly.

wardo5757

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It was hot and didn't go into stand-by. It took a restart to get it working right again and this is the point, this has gone on for years, why it's not fixed yet is beyond me. I used to have a MacBook, it never gave me problems I've had with Surface devices, Apple isn't problem free but they do fix persistent issues, MS needs to do the same.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
don't really care how yours worked each time... I have 4 Surface devices in my home, all suffer the same flaws.

Not everything is OS related. Other than the OS, what other app(s)/program(s) do you have installed that is common to all four devices? It could be an app/program not shutting down properly, not allowing the OS to go into standby, or is not optimized for the OS and taking more resources than it needs while running in the background.

Windows 10 is brand spanking new so many of the apps/programs haven't been updated to run optimally with it.

wardo5757

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft office 365 would be a commonality, but you are making my point. Why is it that Apple and Linux can overcome the situation where an app doesn't want to sleep properly and Windows can't? I know W10 is new and I do expect bugs, that's why I only commented on the persistent problems that should have been taken care of years ago. I do believe this is MS biggest problem, they don't pay attention to the small stuff, and that's the **** that adds up. The Surface concept is awesome, I want MS to make it work well like Apple has done with its products.

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
then perhaps you should buy apple products if you want your surface to work like apple devices work?

back to your issue. I would say its an app doing it. anti virus?

I have 2 surfaces, i3 and i7, both sleep properly.

there is an option in win10 to prevent connecting to wifi while in sleep mode - to check email etc. perhaps turn it off on one of them and see what happens.

Zezrs

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Or perhaps expecting an official release of software to be functional after having a bunch of prerelease builds to work and improve on?

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
well, that's fair enough. MS have to get windows to work on a multitude of hardware platforms.

apple support what? 4 models of phones and 4 ipads (of almost the same hardware) and maybe 10 desktop/portables? tell me who has it easy.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I hate to say it, but I'm going back to W8.1 right after this post.

Tablet mode is horrible, compared to W8.1, IMHO. I'll come back if they make it better. But trying to get two apps side-by-side is a nightmare. Can't even get 3 side-by-side. Edge with no swipe forward/back is the deal breaker for me. I spend ~80% of my time in tablet mode. Switching from tablet mode to desktop in W10 is actually more jarring than I thought it would be.

I did a fresh install off of the downloaded ISO, just to make sure everything was clean. But I've run into 'apps' that become unresponsive after waking from sleep. I have to restart them. Battery drain is more than compared to W8.1 (my fan kicks in more frequently than before, running the same apps that I had in W8.1).

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I hate to say it, but I'm going back to W8.1 right after this post.

Tablet mode is horrible, compared to W8.1, IMHO. I'll come back if they make it better. But trying to get two apps side-by-side is a nightmare. Can't even get 3 side-by-side. Edge with no swipe forward/back is the deal breaker for me. I spend ~80% of my time in tablet mode. Switching from tablet mode to desktop in W10 is actually more jarring than I thought it would be.

Hahaha!
2 apps side by side, is really easy!, the coin just didn't yet drop for you...
3 side by side wasn't even possible in 8.1!

I'm glad swiping forward/back is gone in the web browser, because very often I went back or forward a page accidentally.

Just give it a week (it has been 2 days now and you already went back) and get used to new things....

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Have you done the firmware updates? There were firmware updates and not sure how you get them but doubt they come with windows 10. Maybe there is a tool. Check you are running on the latest one. I don't have sp3, but most people I heard from love it and don't have issues.

Also there are many swipe gestures that can be tweaked in settings. Saw an article about all the stuff you can do. So look into that, may make it easier to use. It's really about getting used to things. Even I have a tendency to go to charms area to shutdown and sometimes I'll do it without realizing but for the most part I got used to it already.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Hahaha!
2 apps side by side, is really easy!, the coin just didn't yet drop for you...
3 side by side wasn't even possible in 8.1!

I'm glad swiping forward/back is gone in the web browser, because very often I went back or forward a page accidentally.

Just give it a week (it has been 2 days now and you already went back) and get used to new things....
Ok, enlighten me on the easy way of getting 2 side-by-side.
And you're wrong, 3 side-by-side was in 8.1, and doable on the SP3 (look around for other people complaining about it being gone).

I'm glad you didn't like swipe forward/back, but I did (and a whole bunch of other people, it's the #1 request in the feedback). My phone does it, along with other devices. It's a bit of a standard feature, but not on Edge.

And I ran the previews, so no I didn't give up just after 2 days. I'm sure MS will make changes soon. Till then I'll wait. Since I already installed W10 I can go back when ever I want.

But I still think it's a "work in progress", more so than previous versions of Windows, and it is the first operating system MS has created that was designed by "committee" (disgruntled W8.x users). Some of us actually like W8.1. As you said "the coin just didn't drop for you..." can be applied to those who didn't like W8.1.

I've already read, and ran across people who are complaining about the new start button. They still don't comprehend the idea that you customize the tiles, unpin un-used tiles, pin most used tiles, and move them around. Also that you can resize the tile area (I love the one tech journalist that complained that it's only two columns of 3 tiles wide, even though they are considered a "power user").

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I did a clean install of Windows 10 on my SP3, and so far I've had no issues whatsoever. Sleep mode works fine, my type cover works great, but haven't had a chance to try the pen yet.

I'll be able to beat on it more this weekend, but all good here... right now....

wardo5757

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Guz- I have to agree, Tablet Mode is so damn unintuitive. I hate the fact that if I want the on-screen keyboard to pop up when needed I have to have a full screen Start Menu and lose Task Bar and Virtual Desktop functionality. Why not, if no external keyboard is attached and a keyboard is needed, the on-screen keyboard pops up, seriously, I don't know who made this bone-head mistake. I also don't like how MS is taking away the ability to changes features, like power and video, the move to the new Settings away from the Control Panel sucks right now. And no swipe forward and back in the browser???? C'mon MS! But, W10 is leaps and bounds better then 8.1, but you don't have to jump too high for that...

I didn't write this to argue or try to and look like an Apple fan boy, this OS is still Beta in my opinion. If there is one device that should work FLAWLESSLY its MS in-house devices, there is no excuse for the persistent problems I have talked about, they have been known about for years, I'm not the only one..

Last edited:

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Ok, enlighten me on the easy way of getting 2 side-by-side.

In tablet mode, just drag the window from top to one side (as in W8.1) and there you go!
In desktop mode, click and drag it to the side of the screen.

In tablet mode it looks like you can only have 2 windows side by side, in desktop mode you can have 4.

wardo5757

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
In tablet mode, just drag the window from top to one side (as in W8.1) and there you go!
In desktop mode, click and drag it to the side of the screen.

In tablet mode it looks like you can only have 2 windows side by side, in desktop mode you can have 4.
Tablet Mode- Desktop Mode.... = sucks Seriously, it sucks.... Everything that changes when switching to tablet mode should be separate global settings.

Soroush Ayrempour

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Its been a day that I am trying to figure out how I can divide the screen into apps and I couldn't, even once I can do that once keep disappearing when I touch the other. They ruined some great functions of this device, like how swift you could go back and forth between the apps, working on documents with the pen function is a pain as there sides of the screen has different functions now, so if you wanna highlight a sentence in read and you start from the left its gonna jump to showing open windows!
i am not impressed by this change of direction , windows 10 is not a successor of windows 8.1 , but maybe comparable to windows 7. All those alive and intuitive features are replaced by a cold colorless environment. Totally killed my surface, it is obvious that they didn't design this for SP3, so I am downgrading to windows 8.1.
There are no bug in windows 10 so far for me, but there is loss of functionality and I don't feel I have a $1700 device in my hand anymore! It is not very tablet friendly.

wardo5757

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Its been a day that I am trying to figure out how I can divide the screen into apps and I couldn't, even once I can do that once keep disappearing when I touch the other. They ruined some great functions of this device, like how swift you could go back and forth between the apps, working on documents with the pen function is a pain as there sides of the screen has different functions now, so if you wanna highlight a sentence in read and you start from the left its gonna jump to showing open windows!
i am not impressed by this change of direction , windows 10 is not a successor of windows 8.1 , but maybe comparable to windows 7. All those alive and intuitive features are replaced by a cold colorless environment. Totally killed my surface, it is obvious that they didn't design this for SP3, so I am downgrading to windows 8.1.
There are no bug in windows 10 so far for me, but there is loss of functionality and I don't feel I have a $1700 device in my hand anymore! It is not very tablet friendly.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but it's not bad enough for me to go back to 8.1... I love the left swipe for the app switching and desktops, that is an awesome function, I like the start menu also. Notifications are good but buggy and Cortana is great. Tablet mode sucks *** and so does Edge, The problems I mention before have been going on since the SP1 so I cant blame it on W10, guess I will have to live with it..

Edit: I just found the setting that allows you to make the keyboard pop up when an external keyboard isn't attached regardless of tablet mode. Go to settings/devices/typing, its there and makes the surface a much better tablet for me..

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism