Issue with SD card and ACPI.sys causing high CPU consistently after startup from hibernate

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to share a solution I (seemed) to have found for my SF3PRO. I run the latest Win10 (Insider Release Preview ring). I have a 128GB SD card in my SF3PRO and I have almost always had the system service go in a high CPU state after waking the device up from hibernate. This was seen in Task Manager where the "System" task would consume 10-15% CPU consistently. After a lot of searching I found out that a lot of people had issues related to ACPI.sys and an apparent interrupt storm happening causing the high CPU. This goes away as soon as you start to play music (via whatever player). Some people mentioned removing the SD card solves the issues.

I had the exact same symptoms as mentioned above. My SF3PRO would get pretty hot and in the end all I could do was a reboot.

All the "fixes" posted did not work for me (e.g. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/834631). I then decided to take a look at the Realtek 3.0 USB driver and found out that the one shipped with the SF3PRO is a "1.0" version and there are newer versions (Realtek USB 2.0/3.0 Card Reader Drivers Version 10.0.14393.31228).

I removed the SD card and also the USB hub that I have attached and installed the latest Realtek driver from above link. I have since not have this issue re-appear anymore. I hope this helps others too.

Last edited:

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Solved] Issue with SD card and ACPI.sys causing high CPU consistently after startup from hibern

Thanks for this! I'll see if helps mine too.

Funny that searching automatically for updated drivers doesn't find the updated version.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Solved] Issue with SD card and ACPI.sys causing high CPU consistently after startup from hibern

Let me know if this works for you. I did notice that the "System" process does use ~14% CPU after waking the Surface up from hibernate, but it will go down after a few minutes. This is different from previously where the system process would stick at that % till the device was rebooted.

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Let me know if this works for you. I did notice that the "System" process does use ~14% CPU after waking the Surface up from hibernate, but it will go down after a few minutes. This is different from previously where the system process would stick at that % till the device was rebooted.

I resumed from a hibernation this afternoon and did see the "System" process using 13-14% of CPU. It did fall back to 0 after a minute or so, like you said. So, this is good news so far.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

Another thing I did was download the complete driver package for the Surface 4 PRO and updated the following drivers manually on my 3 PRO:

Surface 4 PRO driver package: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ad%2Fdetails.aspx%3Fid%3D49498&token=nOe_nIRr (select the big ZIP file)

- Marvell WIFI and Bluetooth drivers (later version than the one on the Surface 3 PRO)
- Realtek HD driver (the first audio driver option in device manager). Also this driver is a newer one than the one that is installed by default on the 3 PRO.

Install them by extracting the folders from the zip package and then in device manager do a manual update of the driver. Each driver requires a reboot after installation (you can update all three and ignore the reboot window after the first two).

Last edited:

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Another thing I did was download the complete driver package for the Surface 4 PRO and updated the following drivers manually on my 3 PRO:

Surface 4 PRO driver package: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ad%2Fdetails.aspx%3Fid%3D49498&token=hUdEowPR (select the big ZIP file)

- Marvell WIFI and Bluetooth drivers (later version than the one on the Surface 3 PRO)
- Realtek HD driver (the first audio driver option in device manager). Also this driver is a newer one than the one that is installed by default on the 3 PRO.

Install them by extracting the folders from the zip package and then in device manager do a manual update of the driver. Each driver requires a reboot after installation (you can update all three and ignore the reboot window after the first two).

Has this continued to solve any of your issues? Have you noticed any problems running the Surface 4 Pro drivers on the Surface Pro 3?

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

I did a right click on "Realtek Audio" in device manager and then "Auto update". The driver was updated to version 6.0.1.7642. Hopefully this helps as well.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

Update on this thread.

I received a firmware update dated 7.11.2016 a few days ago. Then the update to 14393.726. Since then I have not seen the issue with system process running high cpu after returning from sleep/hibernate. Perhaps the issue was OS/firmware related?

Anyone else experienced the same?

cactuspete23

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site

Good to hear the update resolved the issue !

Timo47v

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site

I have installed the latest "firmware" (more like driver) updates, but the high CPU after waking from hibernation has not been resolved. Maybe the fix is in 14393.726 or the combination of both is required. Will test again when that update arrives.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

This issue has been coming back on my Surface, unfortunately. I had even updated all Intel system drivers with Driver Booster, as well as the WIFI driver.

What I did notice is that when the Surface is not connected to power and has no USB hub connected and also no external monitor - then this issue does not happen. I have also disabled the energy savings options on the USB devices and hub drivers.

When I had this issue I tried to deactivate and re-activate each system driver. At the end nothing brought down the high CPU usage of acpi.sys except a reboot of the system.

Timo47v

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site

It's gotten even worse now on my Surface: whenever I bring back the system, even just from standby, various processes such as explorer, media player and internet explorer are driving the CPU up to 100%. Analyzing the threads with process monitor shows the problem is related to some function attempting to determine the DPI for my monitor.

ExplorerHighCpu.png

My thinking is that update 726 may be required before you can install the new graphics drivers. This may explain why not everyone got them yet via Windows Update. I installed them manually. Or maybe, there's a problem with those new drivers and Microsoft has pulled them from WU for that reason.

In any case, I have rolled back to the previous driver and hopefully things will be back to "normal" now.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

The issue Is the Realtek audioHD driver, triggering the constant high CPU after resuming from hibernate mode. I noticed this because I updated the Realtek driver to the 2.81 version and after the driver was updated the CPU usage of "System" dropped back to normal levels. I have since then tested awaking the Surface from energy savings mode and the system process has not started to act up again (latest test today).

I tried all recommendations like disabling enhancements and other tips - none worked.

I have found the following solution that really works for me:

1. Uninstall the Realtek audio driver in device manager
2. Wait till you see that the system installs the "High Definition Audio-Device" driver (which is an MS driver)
3. Download the driver prevention tool from Microsoft here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-windows-10
4. Run the tool and select to hide drivers, select "Realtek audio". This prevents hat Win10 automatically installs the faulty Realtek driver again.
5. Enjoy a cool Surface 3 PRO

I was able to (permanently) resolve the CPU issue with the above steps.

Update on Feb 24: Since disabling the update to the Realtek diver I have no longer seen the system process running at high CPU after returning the Surface from hibernate mode. Using the Microsoft audio driver now. No issues anymore - so happy :)

Last edited:

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
An update on this, it really is the Realtek driver. I reverted back to the standard MS driver and the issues were gone. I also used the hide/show tool to prevent it from updating to the Realtek driver again.

But today MS pushed out 15063.11 and the issue seems to have been fixed!!!!!!!

Aufnahme4.png

Will report soon :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz