The 'included keyboard' dilema and solution

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
As many know and have kicked MS for not including a keyboard in the price of the SP range the solution is quite simple this time round. Rumours are circulating that they may include a keyboard with the SP4, however what about the people who already have a keyboard or want a different colour. The solution is to include a gift card at the value of a SP4 type cover with the SP4 redeemable against anything from the online/instore accessories. This solves all the issues and gives people choice and freedom.

RohanRonQM

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
or how about force people to buy the keyboard at the same time as they buy the Surface / Surface Pro and keep the bundle at the current price. What I mean is include the cost of the keyboard into the device pricing yet let the buyer choose which color they want

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
As many know and have kicked MS for not including a keyboard in the price of the SP range the solution is quite simple this time round. Rumours are circulating that they may include a keyboard with the SP4, however what about the people who already have a keyboard or want a different colour. The solution is to include a gift card at the value of a SP4 type cover with the SP4 redeemable against anything from the online/instore accessories. This solves all the issues and gives people choice and freedom.
Not a good solution. The issue is not to simply give customers $130 in freebies but to include the keyboard in the purchase price.

or how about force people to buy the keyboard at the same time as they buy the Surface / Surface Pro and keep the bundle at the current price. What I mean is include the cost of the keyboard into the device pricing yet let the buyer choose which color they want
That's a bit better.

I think it would be reasonable to keep the TypeCover price at $130 when purchased separately, but $30 when purchased with a Surface... or include a $100 off coupon in the Surface package good only toward the purchase of a TypeCover. This allows customers to buy a Surface and wait to purchase the keyboard cover in the event that a particular color is not in stock at the time that the Surface is purchased.

pjhenry1216

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I don't see what's wrong with the original post. If you already have a compatible typecover, then you're essentially buying another cover for no reason. He wasn't saying include freebies. He was saying include the cost of the card in the price. So the price *does* include the typecover in there, however, if you already have one, you can instead get different accessories. I think that's a fair solution. The folks who complain that the cost of the typecover isn't included are satisfied. The people who already own a typecover will be satisfied as well.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree that $130 for a keyboard is a bit much considering the Surface Pro is touted as the tablet to replace your laptop, thus should be included. I say they should drop the price of the unit itself for those who don't want or need the keyboard. Either way, not everybody's going to be happy.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
The price of they Surface TypeCover is no longer an issue ---- priced at $129, it's now a "deal". Why? Because Google priced the Pixel C keyboard at $145, while Apple's SmartCover keyboard has been priced at $169.

Like it or not, Microsoft has no reason to change their stance on the price of it's almost mandatory keyboard accessory.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
The price of they Surface TypeCover is no longer an issue ---- priced at $129, it's now a "deal". Why? Because Google priced the Pixel C keyboard at $145, while Apple's SmartCover keyboard has been priced at $169.

Like it or not, Microsoft has no reason to change their stance on the price of it's almost mandatory keyboard accessory.
Had Microsoft not charged that much, it would've put the hurt on Google and Apple to price their keyboard more competitively. All that Microsoft did with their pricing is give them "cover" (no pun intended) to charge even more.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Had Microsoft not charged that much, it would've put the hurt on Google and Apple to price their keyboard more competitively. All that Microsoft did with their pricing is give them "cover" (no pun intended) to charge even more.

I agree with this. I think the others only did this cause they felt if Microsoft can do it, so can we. The keyboard covers are definitely more worth while now with all the improvements they've made on it so I feel more comfortable getting a nicer keyboard, bigger trackpad, and the fingerprint reader on it. On the original it did seem more like a rip-off, but after 4 generations I think they're starting to get it right.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes