How would you market the Surface 4?

CJT1980

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I would have the commercial start with the Steve Jobs quote of no ones wants a stylus and cut to Tim cook talking about the "Pencil" ... then I could cut to Tim Cook quote about Microsoft is confused turning a tablet to a pc and pc to tablet and cut to Tim Cook holding up the Ipad with the accessories. Then i would have a quick flash history of the surface with the year highlighted in the upper left hand corner. And have a little blurb about them finally catching up ..

HOW WOULD YOU MARKET THE SURFACE 4?

Topataco

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Step 1: Kidnap the Microsoft marketing team.
Step 2: Leave them at a workshop of *how* to market like Samsung/Apple.
Step 3: Hire the guys who do the marketing for Apple/Samsung.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I'd bring back the prancing metrosexual hipsters swapping TouchCovers. :grincry:

It's not about marketing at this point but about experience. Identify the top 5-10 apps that need a world-class touch-optimized Modern UI version and then make it happen. THEN have ads showcasing those apps in everyday scenarios.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I would have the commercial start with the Steve Jobs quote of no ones wants a stylus and cut to Tim cook talking about the "Pencil" ... then I could cut to Tim Cook quote about Microsoft is confused turning a tablet to a pc and pc to tablet and cut to Tim Cook holding up the Ipad with the accessories. Then i would have a quick flash history of the surface with the year highlighted in the upper left hand corner. And have a little blurb about them finally catching up ..

HOW WOULD YOU MARKET THE SURFACE 4?

So you would spend the bulk of the ad talking about apple then briefly flash some info about the Surface right at the end? Might want to rethink that marketing strategy.....

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't know that it matters that much what kinds of gimmicks show up in the marketing. However, I don't think there's any question that the way MS makes this product and this product category successful is by continuing to emphasize the fact that it offers the power of a desktop PC in the convenience of a tablet. That is the one thing Apple cannot offer because Apple does not have a touch-enabled desktop OS.

ar-7

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I'd bring back the prancing metrosexual hipsters swapping TouchCovers. :grincry:

It's not about marketing at this point but about experience. Identify the top 5-10 apps that need a world-class touch-optimized Modern UI version and then make it happen. THEN have ads showcasing those apps in everyday scenarios.

Exactly!

Marketing will still play a role but it really isn't about that. The main part is the experience. I like Microsoft's strategy with Windows 10 (and that's why the Surface line is so appealing imo) but they have a lot of work in front of them to get it right.

For the marketing I don't think I would worry about comparing the Surface to anything from Apple or any other company. I would highlight what makes the Surface unique just not directly compare it to the competition. Show how it is a device that you can use as a traditional PC, use as a tablet, talk to via Cortona, etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos