Surface pro 3 docking station not compatible!

Rafaelcab

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Just got done chating with Microsoft store rep and they informed me that the pro 3 dock isn't compatible with the pro 4. Total B/S didn't Microsoft say that the next surface would be compatible with the current peripherals?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

tboggs13

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I have a SP3 dock at home and at work. I don't want to spend another $400 on top of the SP4 to get it docked. Besides, I like the current dock better as it gets the Surface out of the way when I work, has a fairly small footprint on the desktop and doesn't require connecting a cable.

Ojai Weber

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Same question...so I'm posting to follow this thread. From the images it looks like it might be compatible. If it is, I'll be getting one. If not...then I may just keep the pro 3 until there is a bundle deal later.

Rafaelcab

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I got in touch with Microsoft support about this and they said they will be getting back with me tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted on what I hear, Just a little info Microsoft officially came out and said on there Surface blog website that the dock for Pro 3 would support the next generation. So if it doesn't support it some could technically sue for false advertising. Since it isn't allowing me to post the link ill spell it out go to blog dot surface dot com and search the article "surface commitment to business"

Rafaelcab

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
$2000 is okay for you but $2200 (probably $2100 if you sell your sp3 dock) is a deal-breaker?

It has nothing to do with price. Microsoft officially stated in there surface blog in October 2014 that their pro 3 dock would work with the next generation Surface. A company should honor its word plus not screw over those of us who already invested in the accessories. $200 dollars compared to a purchase of $2000 (which i am wondering were the heck your getting that number being that it starts at $899) in the grand scheme of things isn't much of a difference but I like most people consider $200 dollars to be better spent elsewhere.

queentut16

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
With interchangeable touch pads and the new dock cross compatible, the old sp3 dock has to be. Maybe they thought you were asking about the surface 3?

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't think to ask last night , but I do know that both the new stylus and new keyboard are compatible with the SP3. Come to think of it, I didn't even see a docking station being displayed or shown anywhere in the Moynihan Station party last night.

Maybe that's somehow part of their Continuum strategy??

Rafaelcab

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Are you referring to the official press show that everyone else saw? When I watched it the only dock I saw was the new small one.

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
From the article that Rafaelcab mentioned.

But now that we have begun to establish our place in the market, we are pleased to share that the following Surface Pro 3 accessories are designed with our product roadmap in mind and will be compatible with the next generation of the ?Pro? line of Surface:

?Today?s Surface Pro 3 Type Covers
?Our ?infrastructure? accessories such as our power adapter, Ethernet adapter, and more
?The Surface Pro 3 Docking Station

This commitment helps validate an investment in Surface Pro 3 and solidifies Microsoft?s overall commitment to the continued growth of the Surface brand.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Are you referring to the official press show that everyone else saw? When I watched it the only dock I saw was the new small one.
No, I didn't go to that. There was a sort of party at the Moynihan Station about a block from Penn Station in New York. Microsoft turned it into a sort of huge nightclub with music and food, but all around the perimeter, there were stations where you could look at, hold, test and ask questions about each of the new new devices. There was no formal presentations, just hands on playing with them. (Except the Holo Lens. At the entrance you got to scrape off a card much like a lottery card and the few who won also got to do a private demo with the Holo Lens). I honestly don't recall seeing any large style docking station like the one I bought this spring for my SP3.

Ojai Weber

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
It looks like they have a trade up promo in the next few days so I'm hoping if it isn't compatible they incentivize with a good trading program. Although altogether they urge to upgrade is wearing off...the pro 3 only lacks, really, in ram and battery life for me. And to get the 8gb it's quite a bit more expensive.

Rafaelcab

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I finally got some news from the Microsoft support team and its good news. Per them Microsoft will come out with an adapter that will enable the Surface Pro 4 to work with the Pro 3 dock and it will be available on the October 26th as well. Now ill believe it when I see it but if this holds true this is awesome lets just hope the adapter is like $20. Below is the conversation on that.

Jean R.: I inquired if my surface pro 3 dock would work with the new surface pro 4. and I was told they would get back to me by Tuesday and I still have not heard from them
Jean R.: as I told them Microsoft officially stated that they would in there blog
Marc: Thanks for letting me know. I will check if we have received the latest notification about the Surface pro 4. Please allow me some time while I check it for you.
Marc: I appreciate the wait. I was able to check with our lead that this information just came in today. Since the size of the Surface pro 4 and Surface pro 3 are different. There is an adaptor for the Surface pro 4 so that it will work with the docking station for the Surface pro 3.
Jean R.: will this adapter be sold on day one ie OCT 26
Marc: Yes it will be available as advised by my lead.

cannonballz

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I just left the Microsoft Store and confirmed the sp3 dock works with the sp4, no adapter needed.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo