Why not a GPU dock for SP4

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
MS has basically created a dream device for me, the Surface Book..............but, and this is a big one.....the tablet detached, has no kickstand, and no ports...........which really makes me ask this question - Why didn't they instead, create a laptop dock for the Surface Pro 4. What they have done with this device, is prove that a GPU can interact with the stand-alone tablet..............now give me the option on the Surface Pro 4. Id love for the desktop docking station to have the GPU built into it.

Dariusz1989

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
My exact same feelings. I cant understand why they did not make it for SP4!? Price wise its extra 600$ for the Keyboard GPU mod. I would buy SP4 and then New Dock, and then 2 years later another new dock... ahh damn MS?! U almost had a perfect device :- )

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
My exact same feelings. I cant understand why they did not make it for SP4!? Price wise its extra 600$ for the Keyboard GPU mod. I would buy SP4 and then New Dock, and then 2 years later another new dock... ahh damn MS?! U almost had a perfect device :- )

Right.......they are so close..........

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
That probably would've been the ultimate device, but there are a few things that would probably change.

First being the current docking systems on the SP lineup would probably have to change since it only recognizes small things like keyboard/usb inputs etc. I can't imagine a gpu setup being processed through the small magnet setup that we have currently, but I'm no hardware expert.

Second being as similar as the tablet portion is on each of these devices one clearly is a more stand alone tablet form factor while the other is more so a laptop form factor. If you heard the Surface Book battery is only 3-4 hours. It is slimmer and lighter, but somewhere in that body they created the interface to react with the docking system's gpu and extra battery. It wouldn't have been possible to do that for the SP4 unless the unit got bigger or thicker.

My theories as to why.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
A core m probably won't be able to feed a discreet graphics card in whatever dock you attach which, in all honesty, makes dropping that sort of money a bit silly. If you REALLY want a GPU then MS has has the Surface Book.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism