It's new device time again! Pro 4 or Book?

jordanzhninja

May 4, 2014
Visit site
It's new device time again! Pro 4 or Book?

So last year back when I had terrible devices surface pro 3 was announced and I was like I gotta have it. So I got it on day 1 in the UK and its been pretty alright ever since.

My biggest issues with it have been the kickstand always going loose (and I might have to do a second device RMA), the throttling and heating issues (believe me, they've ruined my experience with the device as when it gets too hot functionality is reduced),

Battery life, 9 hours is BS. I can get 4 on a good day with battery saver on the entire time at 50% brightness. :'(

and lastly, kind of a minor issue probably caused by me taking it to school every day, there are holes in the keyboard connection which broke one of my keyboards and makes my new one randomly disconnect sometimes.

Ok but its not all bad obviously, no device is perfect I wish they were and Surface pro 3 is by far the best device I've ever had. Now the pro 4 and book have come out I'm kind of torn.

I like the SP4 form factor and 30% faster sounds good, but it still won't play nice with premiere pro because it doesn't have the GPU.
The Surface book however would be awesome for premiere pro, and it looks gorgeous (the type covers are ok imo), but its proper expensive and maybe too heavy to carry to school every day.

Which do you think I should get. If SP4 it would be the 128GB/4GB that I have currently on sp3 and Book it would be 128GB/8GB base.

Main uses: software development, video editing (gaming vids 1080p 30fps), little bit of photoshop and web browsing

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
The problem you're looking at is that if you went with the Surface book you'd need to get the $1899 model. That has the gpu that will give the performance you need for your video editing.

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
You need to consider your tablet usage, also. I've read in a couple of places that Surface Book only gets 3 hours battery life in tablet mode.

xsikal

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
For myself, I went with the SP4 because (a) my intended usage (word processing/surfing/wasting time) doesn't require a dedicated GPU and (b) I fully intend to use it as a tablet a fair chunk of the time, so the far superior battery life in that mode (vs. the surface book) is important.

But as others have said, budget and intended usage are the two primary determining factors.

DCProjMgr

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think that you need to push the specs up on both the models you are considering for multimedia projects.

Surface Pro 4 i5 / 8gb / 256gb $1490 (with keyboard)
Surface Pro 4 i5 / 16gb / 512gb $1690 (with keyboard)
Surface Book i5 / 8gb / 256gb $1900

The Book, I think, will handle your software better. It's the size of the small MacBook Pro - or just about any premium ultrabook (3.3 lbs).
On the other hand, the SP4 will also run the software, but will be throttled on rendering and compiling jobs. Still, it's cheaper and lighter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes