Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Bugs + Defects

Tuono

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Returned my SP4 today, they didn't have another model of the same spec. in stock so I got a full refund and will look to purchase a new one early 2016.

IsraelDuran

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
So now using web browser is unsable even typing is difficult on my i7 sp4. Constant stuttering and full words will not be typed. I have written this same postsfour times now and it still doesn't even come out complete or correct. Visiting this website causes my sp4 to use 30%+ of my cpu and use 2 g of extra ram.

decider

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I just received my SP4 Wednesday. I go the I5, 256, 8. During initial setup I got at least 3 BSODs. However, I keep going through setup where eventually it showed it installing windows updates and firmware. Since I have not had any issues. I find it light than my SP1 and faster.

decider

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Well I hate to say it, but I may have run into my first issue. My type cover keys do not light up? Is there anything I have to do to turn it on?

ar-7

May 9, 2015
Visit site
After much debate I have a SP4 i5 256 GB on the way. Am I going to regret this decision? Are there still this many bugs with this device?

decider

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
It will not be a decision you regret. And the last issue I had was my lack of knowledge as to how to get the keyboard lighting to work. But I myself have the same device you are thinking about getting and I have not had any issues thus far.

MikeHummel

Banned
Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
I have surfed a few forums and ran into good folks like yourself having a pile of issues with their SP4. One would think that a company such as Microsoft might send some of the Surface Teams members home with a machine to use and work out the bugs - but its all about the almighty dollar in the end.

Have you tried reloading your machine from scratch? I only ask because I was at the point you are with all of the bugs, and with years of PC/IT experience, I have come to the conclusion that once bugs start to manifest, its time for a reload. I know not everyone has a copy of Windows 10 laying around, but if your savvy enough on the WWW - a perfect copy of any version of Windows can be found. If you decide to reload - let me know and I will be glad to assist. There are a few tricks - such as the SPro requires the USB stick to be formatted using ExFat or FAT32 file system or it wont recognize the installation, other small things such as getting into the BIOS and booting from the USB etc.

Once I reloaded Windows, and then reloaded the Surface drivers - BAM! It runs almost flawlessly - but things like the sleep / wake issue still exist. You could also try downloading the Surface Pro Drivers, removing them completely, rebooting, and then re-installing them. I hope this helps a little - My SP4 i7 runs great and I truly believe that Microsoft has earned their position at the Top of the Tablet Food chain.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
The Surface Pro 4 is certainly the best built, most versatile and coolest computer I have ever owned. However, my experience with the SP4 hasbeen painful. I bought opening week and experienced an enormous range of issues. I returned it once due to a distorted camera (like digital interference) camera and the next time for a few dead/stuck pixels. My 3rd SP4, like the others, had MANY software issues. It had serious sleep issues (battery drain and heat). Worst of all it sometimes refused to 'wake up', in one caseduring a presentation before around 100 people. The tablet was simply black and unresponsive. I was forced to return my 3rd SP4.

I missed the surface, and knew that there had been several firmware updates so I rebought a SP4 on Jan2. This time I knew the sleep issues hadn't been fixed so I only used Shut-down. However, I am still experiencing many issues. I have display drivers crashing. I noticed that my display (Backlight?) flickers at low brightness. In a meeting this morning the camera wouldn't work so I restarted the tablet. When it restarted it froze on a solid white screen necessitating a hard reboot (holding down the power button). A few hours later while the surface was shut down I tried to turn my SP4 on and the power button did nothing. The surface was just black-screened and unresponsive.

This is easily the most buggy device I have ever owned. I love Microsoft and use Windows Phone, Outlook.com,Onedrive, Bing, Xbox Gold, Office 365, etc. But this is really disappointing. Regrettably this 4th SP4 will have to be returned also and I will need to buy a device and form factor with less versatility and likely a poorer display (I love the display quality and ratio). I hope these issues can be resolved for the future success of Surface product line.

hasanajouz

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I bought SP4(i5/8GB) two days ago.
the camera was working fine.
I wanted windows Hello to work so i downloaded the last firmware before and installed it directly from this microsoft link before starting the updates:
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ad%2Fdetails.aspx%3Fid%3D49498&token=J77s_xVs
after this update is finished the windows hello option appeared but the camera never worked.
always says: something wrong happened.

I tried to reset the surface to factory reset but same issue because it is firmware issue not windows 10 issue.

Anybody knows how can i make it work again.
Thanks.

Didier77

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I own a SP4 for 1 month, and after one changing a first machine, I still have a lot of bugs with it.

- The endless fan bug
- Sometimes the machine do not switch on : I have to try pushing "On" and "+" for a long time
- And now...the pencil ! it is just not recognized in bluetooth... I changed the battery, and it still doesn't work...

Anybody knows about these issues ?

Thanks

darkleafar

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I bought surface pro 4 i7/16gb/256ssd January 7th. So far, only issues is occasional freeze from sleep and some light leak bottom right of screen. Thinking about exchanging as Many forums now claim Microsoft has stated new shipments no longer have light leak. It's only noticeable during boot up, but I feel like I shouldn't settle when it comes to a 2 grand device. Any recommendations on what lot nunber I should be looking for or how to know of my exchange unit is from a fresh batch? I'm going to best buy

francorg

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I bought surface pro 4 i7/16gb/256ssd January 7th. So far, only issues is occasional freeze from sleep and some light leak bottom right of screen. Thinking about exchanging as Many forums now claim Microsoft has stated new shipments no longer have light leak. It's only noticeable during boot up, but I feel like I shouldn't settle when it comes to a 2 grand device. Any recommendations on what lot nunber I should be looking for or how to know of my exchange unit is from a fresh batch? I'm going to best buy

Hi,
I have the same model and my cpu fan kicks in very often. Do you have the same issue?

Thank you,
Roberto

partol

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I've SP4 (i5, 8, 256) for three weeks. Nice piece of equipment with many bugs:
1. Display flickers during playing a video (YouTube and similar). Like an old TV loosing sync.
2. Edge likes to freeze the whole system. Nothing works, pressing power for few seconds helps (I need to log in again).
3. I have two accounts with Hello activated on both. When I'm logged in and my wife also wants to log in, Hello recognizes her and logs to my account. And vice versa. It's a bug or a feature?
4. I've strange issues with waking up. Keyboard light is on but mothing happens. After pressing power button I have to wait about 10 seconds with black screen before something happens. It's annoying.

But:
1. I don't have problems with fan. It started twice: during W10 big update and during Visual Studio installation.
2. Battery is so so. About 4-5 hours of standard usage (browsing, reading).
3. All cameras work fine.

ps. I've also new Dell XPS 15 and a lot of BSOD on it. What's going on with this new very expensive equipment? My 2 years old PC works without any issues under W10 (ok, I can see a few strange behaviors after connecting UHD display, but it's another history).

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I've SP4 (i5, 8, 256) for three weeks. Nice piece of equipment with many bugs:
1. Display flickers during playing a video (YouTube and similar). Like an old TV loosing sync.
2. Edge likes to freeze the whole system. Nothing works, pressing power for few seconds helps (I need to log in again).
3. I have two accounts with Hello activated on both. When I'm logged in and my wife also wants to log in, Hello recognizes her and logs to my account. And vice versa. It's a bug or a feature?
4. I've strange issues with waking up. Keyboard light is on but mothing happens. After pressing power button I have to wait about 10 seconds with black screen before something happens. It's annoying.

But:
1. I don't have problems with fan. It started twice: during W10 big update and during Visual Studio installation.
2. Battery is so so. About 4-5 hours of standard usage (browsing, reading).
3. All cameras work fine.

ps. I've also new Dell XPS 15 and a lot of BSOD on it. What's going on with this new very expensive equipment? My 2 years old PC works without any issues under W10 (ok, I can see a few strange behaviors after connecting UHD display, but it's another history).

I have the same issue with Edge and freezing. Is there a solution?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6