Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Bugs + Defects

Steven0706

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
This is my second SP4 since the first one has yellow tint screen (not the flashing one, but the display itself). So I got a exchange and I am sad about those bugs bugs bugs..... I try to collect the bug from you and me and report to Microsoft.

1. [Hardware] Unbalance screen color (partly due to back light leaking), which mean you will see a light yellow region on your pure white screen.
2. Fixed! [H/S] The rear camera cannot take photo! simply because it cannot focus! Try it and let me know.
3. [H/S] The sleeping and heating issue...
4. The flashing yellow/green/blue tint screen.
5. The track pad of type cover died from time to time.
6. [H/S] The touchscreen died and it need a reboot.
7. [H] Poor battery life (4.5h on average, half of what it should be)
8. Cannot launch desktop Onenote with pen....
9. New! The estimation time charge/discharge is very inaccurate! I spend 40mins on '11mins' before fully charged.
10. New! Windows hello cannot log you in and it might be the battery killer during the sleep!
11. No sound after 10.30 update? [need to be double confirmed]
13. Endless Fan after the latest updates!!!! Have anyone notice this ???
14. ... :angry::angry::angry::angry: [ let me know bug that you found]

[Update 1: 10/29/2015 9:47PM] The Camera issue (2) is fixed by downloading the latest camera app from store! Thanks tennisfan#AC for informing!

[Update 2:10/29/2015 10:20PM] One more push of update :), three times restart, and I am now testing it. Let me know if you find anything new.

[Update 3:10/30/2015 08:13AM] So far so good for the latest updates!

[Update 4:10/30/2015 04:21PM] One more update coming! To be honest, I am 80% satisfied after the previous updates. Personally, I dont have the 'Endless Fan' issue and I guess it might because browser. I am using Chrome all the time and it is just fine! Let me know if your 'Endless Fan' is still there even with Chrome. BTW, firefox and Edge will kill your smile at this time, avoid them.

[Update 4:10/31/2015 04:21PM] Endless Fan after the update!!!!!!! Confirmed! So sad!!!:crying:

[Update 5: 11/01/2015 03:12PM] The last update for this discussion: I am getting used to the bugs.

Last edited:

Gary A Bushey

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I am seeing a lot of the same issues.

1. [Hardware] Unbalance screen color (partly due to back light leaking), which mean you will see a light yellow region on your pure white screen. - Have not noticed this one

2. [H/S] The rear camera cannot take photo! simply because it cannot focus! Try it and let me know. - Confirmed on mine as well
3. [H/S] The sleeping and heating issue... - Haven't seen this.

4. The flashing yellow/green/blue tint screen. - See this a lot when I scroll on a page

5. The track pad of type cover died from time to time. - Have not seen this one either although I tend to use a mouse more.

IsraelDuran

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
In regards to these issues
1. [Hardware] Unbalance screen color (partly due to back light leaking), which mean you will see a light yellow region on your pure white screen. - Have not noticed this one

2. [H/S] The rear camera cannot take photo! simply because it cannot focus! Try it and let me know. - Haven't used the camera
3. [H/S] The sleeping and heating issue... - The worst part about owning this device

4. The flashing yellow/green/blue tint screen. - All the time while browsing the web

5. The track pad of type cover died from time to time. - Only happened once restarting the device fixes the issue

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
#3/4 can be fixed by not using Edge I believe. Had those issues hardcore until I downloaded Chrome and used that instead. No flickering, and sleep battery was fine. Display drivers also crashed a lot in edge, recovering most of the time, but causing reboot numerous times.

I havent really seen any bugs yet. But of course, I did read the forums before hand and avoided suspected issue creating software

EDIT: Have significant light leaking near the bottom of the display, in middle and bottom right. Kinda lame, especially when watching dark videos.

Steven0706

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your reply! Hope the camera is the software issue.... How about your battery life? I got only half of what they claimed... 4.5h

Steven0706

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, the leaking light is even worse when you try to read white background Pdf, That is why I get a replacement. The leaking issue are not identical on all sp4, some of them better.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not happy.

My Surface Pro 3 functions perfectly so I never expected to have such issues with Surface Pro 4. When using Edge the screen flickers and changes colors. Some websites consistently make the display driver crash and recover. There are popping noises when viewing some videos. When opening a new window and maximizing it the browser intermittently crashes. The touch screen seems to respond but it doesn't always launch the app. I'm getting less than four hours battery life with web browsing. I don't expect everything on Surface Pro 4 to be perfect but these issues are unacceptable. If I thought these were hardware issues I would just exchange it but based on other people's experiences these seems to be software problems.

I purchased the Surface Pro 4 at Best Buy and I have 45 days to return it. I didn't sell my Surface Pro 3 so my plan is to give Microsoft the return window to correct these problems or I will return the Surface Pro 4 and keep the new keyboard with my Surface Pro 3.

Steven0706

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, most of the issues are software except the leaking backgroud light and battery. Hope the Microsoft can update the system with bugs fixed and better longer battery life. Hows is your rear camera? can you take photo? BTW, how to get the 45days return? I also purchased from BB, just in case I hate it enough to return......

pdt

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I have your #2 and #8, but not the others. The heating issue is especially puzzling to me because my SP4 (8/256GB i5) never gets hot and I haven't yet noticed the fan running. And I'm getting 7-8 hours battery life so far (just since Monday, so only limited testing). If the fan is running, that would cut the battery life. So far it seems to me as though Edge consumes less battery than Chrome, and both consume more than non-browser tasks such as watching a video locally. Edge definitely has bugs, especially display driver crashes, but no color issues. I'm reasonably happy with the device overall, so far. I do wish they had a matching power cover which could add maybe 6-8 hours more life. That would make it nearly perfect.

Steven0706

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I have your #2 and #8, but not the others. The heating issue is especially puzzling to me because my SP4 (8/256GB i5) never gets hot and I haven't yet noticed the fan running. And I'm getting 7-8 hours battery life so far (just since Monday, so only limited testing). If the fan is running, that would cut the battery life. So far it seems to me as though Edge consumes less battery than Chrome, and both consume more than non-browser tasks such as watching a video locally. Edge definitely has bugs, especially display driver crashes, but no color issues. I'm reasonably happy with the device overall, so far. I do wish they had a matching power cover which could add maybe 6-8 hours more life. That would make it nearly perfect.

Thanks for your reply. Seems like the camera is common problem for SP4. So you got 7-8hours with chrome? Did you have the power saver mode on? Thanks

RicKaysen

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
After seeing this, I tried the camera and....nothing. Hitting the shutter icon does...nothing. Now, I'll never use the Surface to take pictures because NERD!, but still, it should work. Do I need to go back to the Microsoft store? The selfie camera does work...if I ever decide to Skype so, that's something.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I have these issues on my 256/8 i5 SP4, especially the overheating and draining WHILE asleep! Also, after reading this post i tried my camera for the first time: doesn't work. Does anyone have working rear camera on their SP4?

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, most of the issues are software except the leaking backgroud light and battery. Hope the Microsoft can update the system with bugs fixed and better longer battery life. Hows is your rear camera? can you take photo? BTW, how to get the 45days return?

I don't have leaking background light. My front camera will take a photo, the rear camera will not. I have an "Elite Plus" membership at Best Buy which extends the return policy to 45 days. I can't remember how I got it, probably because I purchase so much stuff there

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
BTW, I'm vacationing in Los Angeles and I am going to take my Surface Pro 4 to the Microsoft store to see if they can offer any solutions. I will report back. Yes, I'm nerdy enough to go to the Microsoft store while on vacation.

tennisfan#AC

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Great news!!! The rear camera bug has been fixed. Check the Store for the update to the Camera app. I am now able to take pictures with the rear camera even though I don't really see myself using it very often.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I just installed the todays update and my camera is working fine as is Edge for the most part. I have still seen the color shifting a few times, but no crashes in the past hour. I gave up on sleep and just use hibernation now.

BruhMan

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I can't even get to the windows Store. Anyone having issues with that. It just keeps spinning and won't load

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786