External Battery for Pro 4

Acudoc

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Been loving my Surface Pro 4 but battery life is pretty poor. Because of this, I need an external battery/cable for an upcoming long trip. Any ideas or experience with this?

Thanks so much.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Amazon.com: RAVPower 23000mAh Portable Charger Power Bank External Battery Pack(Xtreme Series,3-Port,9V/12V/16V/19V/20V - LCD Display) for Laptops, tablets, iPhones, Android Phones and other devices: Camera & Photo

Sale: $99.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members

Is it compatible with the surface pro 3/4?
Answer: [Yes it should. The barrel connector of your adapter cord (5+ mm O.D.) plugs right into the RAV.]
AMENDED answer (6-20-2015):
The Surface Pro 3/4 charging tip is proprietary, and specific to connecting to the SP3/4. To use the RAV, you'll need a specialized cable, with that tip on one end, and a barrel connector on the other, which needs to be 5.5x2.5 mm. Most of the available charger cables seem to have only the 5.5x2.1 barrel connector, so you'll also need an adapter for that--namely a female 5.5x2.1 to male 5.5x2.5 adapter, to plug into the RAV output which requires the 5.5x2.5 mm dimension. Here are a few product links from Amazon--(read the comments, as there is a wide variation in the successes). Maybe order a cable from two sources.
Cable: http://www.amazon.com/BMOUO-Externa...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3314303 ($9.99)

Cable: http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Char...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3314303 ($9.99)

Barrel Plug Converter 5.5x2.1 to 5.5x2.5: http://www.amazon.com/Barrel-Conver...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3314303 ($6.99)
Barrel Plug Converter Assortment (28) all with female jacks of 5.5x2.1: http://www.amazon.com/Vktech-Univer...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3314303
($9.92)
I checked the Microsoft website for a comparable OEM cable, but found none.
Hope this clarifies, and helps.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Got this one yesterday after seeing it referenced in the "battery life thread".

Amazon.com: Qi-Infinity? Powergrid 34200mAh External Battery Pack/High Capacity Power Bank charger for Laptops, Notebooks, Netbooks, Tablets and Smart Phones: Cell Phones & Accessories

It's certainly powerful enough and supports a wide range of products, voltages, and interfaces. It recharged my SP4 from 10% to fully charged while draining itself from 100% down to about 55%. So theoretically it could fully charge it twice?

Only complaint I have read is more than one buyer stated the led went out. That led is important since it indicates your settings and state of charge.

Regardless, with these new fangled external batteries, we can be less concerned about the shorter battery life of these new modern mobile powerhouses and their extreme svelteness. Good luck.

TheAsbo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Got this one yesterday after seeing it referenced in the "battery life thread".

Amazon.com: Qi-Infinity? Powergrid 34200mAh External Battery Pack/High Capacity Power Bank charger for Laptops, Notebooks, Netbooks, Tablets and Smart Phones: Cell Phones & Accessories

It's certainly powerful enough and supports a wide range of products, voltages, and interfaces. It recharged my SP4 from 10% to fully charged while draining itself from 100% down to about 55%. So theoretically it could fully charge it twice?

Only complaint I have read is more than one buyer stated the led went out. That led is important since it indicates your settings and state of charge.

Regardless, with these new fangled external batteries, we can be less concerned about the shorter battery life of these new modern mobile powerhouses and their extreme svelteness. Good luck.

Did you need to buy a special cable to connect the Qi-Infinity to your Surface Pro?

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes. And that link should have suggested the SP3\4 cable as a piggyback purchase. ?

Note, it comes with a cable for the Surface Pro 2 and just about any laptop. Everything except the one we need. :)

ehsan-u

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone used the power cover? I saw in a youtube video that the power covers from the previous versions don't work with Surface Pro 4.

Love this device but the battery life is atrocious.

TheAsbo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone used the power cover? I saw in a youtube video that the power covers from the previous versions don't work with Surface Pro 4.

Love this device but the battery life is atrocious.

I use the power cover for the SP1 on my sp3 and it works great! You need to do a Windows update thou.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers