boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Does the SP4 have a PWM LCD screen?
Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Core m3) Tablet Review - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

No but the i5 has other issues...Update 12/01/2015: Thanks to a readers tip, who told us that he is suffering from problems caused by flickering / PWM, we looked at the Core i5 version again with the newest firmware and drivers. Now we could also measure flickering at 50 Hz below 50 percent brightness without a connected power adapter. Analyzing our readings, it does not seem to be classic PWM but some other form of flickering.

planetbrian411

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm this as a user...no testing equipment, just my eyes. At 25% brightness on the SP4 I had bad eye strain just like I had with the Dell u2412M monitors. Last two nights I put the Surface Pro 4 brightness setting on 50% and also 56% and I did not suffer any eye strain. I guess I cannot use it for low light reading...for now anyway.

I am starting to get buyers remorse with this thing and I am within my 30 day return policy. Just too many issues that could be hardware and not fixable through firmware/software updates.

Andreas

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Tempted at buying one during the Black Friday discount period until I read reviews about the PWM issue.
Have they been able to sort this out with a firmware update or is it still a issue at all brightness levels?

Was going to use it for studies like programming and reading but seems like it got PWM, pity.
Guess I might as well get the XPS13 instead.

Andreas

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Bought a SP4 and had a chance to try it out so thought I would update the thread.

Initially got eye strain at low brightness but it went away when I switched off the automatic brightness adjustment.
I now stick to 25% brightness my eyes been fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs