SD Card Issue

ToddAtWSU

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I purchased a Surface Pro 4 i5/8/256 yesterday from Micro Center. I have a 128 GB SanDisk micro SD card I purchased off Amazon last week for my SP4. The SP4 does not detect the card. I have followed MS's trouble shooting followed by a chat support with them. They remoted into the device and said it looks faulty to them. They recommend I exchange it at Micro Center for a new one. Unfortunately, my Micro Center is currently out of stock, so I wanted to try some more troubleshooting on my own. The card works fine on other machines in on my SP4 in a USB-SD card reader. I have tried 2 cards in the reader and neither one works.

Could it be possible the driver didn't install correctly? If so, where do I find the SD card driver for the SP4? Otherwise, I could try reinstalling Windows. What is the best way to attempt this? I don't want to ruin my exchange capability with Micro Center so if these don't fix the issues I can still exchange it once they get one back in stock. I know there are 3 partitions on the SSD, 2 for backup/restoration and I don't know how to use those and don't want to lose those. Thanks for any ideas you have. So far I love it, but want my SD slot to work.

Thanks!
Todd

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
1) Open "Device Manager" and find non recognized device in "Other devices"
2) Right-Click and use option "Update Driver Software..."
3) "Browse my computer...."
4) "Let me pick from a list ...."
5) from the list fine and click on "SD host adapters"
6) Choose the last one: "USB Mass Storage Device" - do not choose any "Related USB Card Reader devices"
... and SD Card should work from now.

ToddAtWSU

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I have tried that. I followed all the SD support instructions mentioned on the MS webpage. It didn't detect any hardware changes.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Another "possible " work around....
'
I was looking through the Microsoft forums and have found the solution to this issue. Go to device manager, click on universal serial bus controllers. Click on RealTek Card Reader. Update this driver, select
browser my computer then select let me pick from a list of drivers. Then select mass USB storage device. In effect you will be changing the driver from the Card Reader to a USB driver. So far this works great, I've not seen the SD card release yet."

ToddAtWSU

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
In the picture I posted previously, the only things I have under Universal Serial Bus Controllers are:

Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)
USB Root Hub (xHCl)

I looked under every item and there is no RealTek Card Reader. The only thing I can find about RealTek are audio devices. Thanks again for all your help. Looking more and more like a bad device and not just a missing driver.

ToddAtWSU

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Just looked at the other card I tried last night, it's a PNY 1 GB card. It doesn't work or get detected either. I performed a factory reset on the device and still neither card works, even after trying everything stated above again.

ToddAtWSU

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Yep....waiting for Micro Center to get some more in stock, or might go to the MS store if it takes more than a couple days. They're both an hour-plus away from me. Thanks for all your ideas.

ToddAtWSU

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Ended up going to MS Store this weekend and they gladly exchanged it for me. New one is working great so far (other than sleep, battery drain)!

Matthew Sardi

Jan 2, 2019
Visit site
Another "possible " work around....
'
I was looking through the Microsoft forums and have found the solution to this issue. Go to device manager, click on universal serial bus controllers. Click on RealTek Card Reader. Update this driver, select
browser my computer then select let me pick from a list of drivers. Then select mass USB storage device. In effect you will be changing the driver from the Card Reader to a USB driver. So far this works great, I've not seen the SD card release yet."

This worked for me. I was googling for a couple of hours and it was beginning to drive me nuts. Knew it wasn't the card since it worked on other devices.
I appreciate the help. Have a good night!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786