Looks like new Intel drivers will help a lot! Go get it!

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Illustrates that disabling Wi-Fi before sleep would help battery life as well.

New Intel drivers appear to solve Surface Pro 4 sleep power consumption issue

Users of the Surface Pro 4 may get some relief today as Intel's latest driver update (15.40.14.32.4352) appears to address the notorious issue of high power consumption during 'sleep' mode.

While Intel's last driver was released at the end of December, it has not been made available to Surface Pro 4 users, nor will its normal installer allow owners of the device to apply it as it has not been validated by Microsoft. However, users can download the ZIP file, extract it and then install it normally from Device Manager.

Where the November driver would consume over 2000mW during the test, the new driver uses a relatively meager 625mW during the same time:

image.png

image_3.png

Previous drivers showed multiple Intel devices being active 100% of the time during sleep. The new drivers appear to address this.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Kinda looking forward to taming the sleep-beast. While hibernating isn't exactly tortuous to me, sleep mode is designed to be the native approach to the Surface Pro experience. I'll go back to it (sleep, instead of hibernate) as soon as it works a bit more as intended.

Thanks for the heads up!!!

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, I downloaded and unzipped the files, but when I point to the folder to update my drivers, Windows tells me the best drivers are already installed and does not give me the option to proceed. I tried uninstalling the existing drivers, but it automatically reinstalled them.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm, I downloaded and unzipped the files, but when I point to the folder to update my drivers, Windows tells me the best drivers are already installed and does not give me the option to proceed. I tried uninstalling the existing drivers, but it automatically reinstalled them.

Just wait for Windows Update don't put in non-matched drivers

Last edited:

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
You have to force it by saying you have a disk and then navigating to the dll

Gareee

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I don't see how you manually install them on the surface 4 pro, but I notice that they are dated dec 22nd, not anything near mid Jan.

SteVae

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
the best way to install them is to go the "i have a disk" mode. and even then you have to make sure you install the right file. it isn't easy as these computers are well protected. but, i unplugged mine last night at 12:14 am, and checked it again today at 12:43 pm, and it had 87% battery left. that is every so slightly over 1% per hour, which is ten times better than the 8% per hour i was previously losing. so i think it is worth a little work on your part. jmho.

jrhurley

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
just installed this new driver then reset sleep settings back to defaults. put the SP4 to sleep and waited for an hour and then came back and took it out of sleep and battery was at 100%.

that is good news

billyboyblue

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
just installed this new driver then reset sleep settings back to defaults. put the SP4 to sleep and waited for an hour and then came back and took it out of sleep and battery was at 100%.

that is good news

Is WiFi auto connecting when it comes back out of sleep, or, do you have wifi enabled while asleep ? Very curious to know the results you got based on that!

jrhurley

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
i have wifi turned on while it is sleeping it did shift to my 2.4 ghz network when it woke back up when i had it on the 5 ghz network

will have to play with that a bit since about 2.04 pm today with just posting here and doing a minimal amount of browsing theSP4 went from 100% to 85% without this updated driver i would have been well,past 60%

will see how it goes. i did switch back to 5ghz network

jrhurley

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
ok it is 8:25 pm and i just picked up the SP4 since my last post. the battery is at 53% so in just about 2.5 hours it lost 3% of battery a vast improvement over the old driver

billyboyblue

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
My SP4 was working fine, then after installing these drivers, i started getting the display drivers stopped working and were recovered, etc. Seems like a step in the wrong direction to me.

jrhurley

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Ok left the SP4 on the charger till 9:30 pm last night. IT had 100% charge and I just turned it on at 9:10 am this morning and I have 91% charge. All the sleep settings were at the original factory defaults so this looks good for the charge issue.

I have not experienced the display drivers stopping issue on my SP4 which is an i7 16GB 512 unit.

my driver details are:

Intel Corp
12/15/2015
ver 20.19.15.4352

Intel Iris Graphics 540

I do not see any events yet in the logs for this driver but I will watch and let you know if I see anything.
fyi
I did the manual install which is the only way to install these drivers at this time.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    265.3 KB · Views: 15

billyboyblue

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I don't think you're on the latest still. The latest drivers for Gen 6 intels ( including yours ) should be from 12/22/15 based on the intel website. Have you had a look to confirm that ?

DRIVER VERSION: 15.40.14.64.4352 & 15.40.14.32.4352

DATE: December 22, 2015

billyboyblue

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Ok left the SP4 on the charger till 9:30 pm last night. IT had 100% charge and I just turned it on at 9:10 am this morning and I have 91% charge. All the sleep settings were at the original factory defaults so this looks good for the charge issue.

I have not experienced the display drivers stopping issue on my SP4 which is an i7 16GB 512 unit.

my driver details are:

Intel Corp
12/15/2015
ver 20.19.15.4352

Intel Iris Graphics 540

I do not see any events yet in the logs for this driver but I will watch and let you know if I see anything.
fyi
I did the manual install which is the only way to install these drivers at this time.

Not sure why my post ddnidn't quote you. But it was for you the latest drivers are : DRIVER VERSION: 15.40.14.64.4352 & 15.40.14.32.4352

DATE: December 22, 2015

you're on the 15th, have you confirmed that you'res is actually the latest ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett