STM Dux case for Surface Pro 4

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone here got this case?

Keen to get good protection but not too thick that I lose the fun of having an SP4 in terms of thinness/lightness/kickstand (the "Infinity Stand" is what the case has). Also can't figure out how easy/hard it is to open compared to the SP3 case which had mixed reviews and wasn't so great at protecting it.

INfo: dux microsoft surface pro 4 case

AvgAbilities

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
I have this case on my SP4. I got it since I travel often and I need to use my computer out in the field. It is a nice case that seems to provide good protection. I have not dropped my SP4, so I can't verify well it will protect my SP4.
I compared this to the Urban Armor (UA) case, and I decided on this one because it had a built in pen hold in the back of the case that seems more secure then the UA. Its a fabric loop that looks like the one Microsoft sells at the store verses the clip style on the UA. It is located in the back of the case and the pen is almost flush with the case.

Since you asked about the kickstand, I think this kickstand is better than the one on the UA as it is more like the SP4's kickstand. It also has to 2 rubber feet on the kickstand. I find it to be more stable when I am working on my lap. What I improved on the kickstand is I to add a third notch on the bottom center of the case to extract the kickstand. It only has notches on the left and right to put your finger in to open the kickstand. The Dux range of motion for the kickstand is about the same as the SP4.

With regards to thinness and lightness, it adds a lot of heft to the SP4 and the thick rubber corners adds girth. The extra thickness allows for the pen to be stored in the back of the case. So could be a deal breaker for you.

Putting the case on and taking it off is easy. It works well with the Typecase. Speaking of the Typecover, mine is bright blue, but the Dux is black, so that looks kind of funny. However I just saw Amazon is selling a blue version of the Dux that matches the color of my Typecase.

Note, the SD card slot is blocked and not accessible when the case is on.

Hope this helps.

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Do you think a screen protector would still fit on the SP4 with this case on? The driving factor for this will be the corner bumpers and how tight it grips the front of the SP4.

I ended up buying the dark blue model. I'll see how thick it makes the SP4 - I think if I feel safer using it, I'm more likely to carry it out in the first place because at the moment I'm a tad nervous to be carrying a $2k computer (in Singapore) where a drop could potentially crack or cause other significant damage.

AvgAbilities

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
No problem. I don't have a screen protector on mine yet, but if the screen protector is small enough, i.e. not overlapping too far into the bezel, it could fit.

1 more thing, I forgot to mention you can still magnetically attach the pen on the left side of the SP4 when the case is on.

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
No problem. I don't have a screen protector on mine yet, but if the screen protector is small enough, i.e. not overlapping too far into the bezel, it could fit.

1 more thing, I forgot to mention you can still magnetically attach the pen on the left side of the SP4 when the case is on.

I saw that in a review and was trying to figure out if that's because the case is thin and allows the magnet to still work or if there's another magnet there.

Man, can't wait for the case to arrive. Will give me the confidence to take my SP4 out in more places.

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I got my STM Dux case yesterday and am pretty happy with it. Looks good and the stand is stronger than anticipated. I like how there's so much clear plastic so I might still order a sticker/decal for the back of my SP4 to make it look nice.

9e092f6c66be5c90e991cdff6ba5ef37.jpg

31510bfead2eb45da8d37d34a793a6a0.jpg

Haven't put a screen protector on yet though.

It's a bit heavier, but it feels solid. It's not as thick as I thought it'd be - i.e. the pen doesn't sit flush (and it took a while to get the pen to fit into the thin little pen-holder sleeve)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05