Surface pro 4 now?

DasWindows

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I want to get the pro 4, but i keep thinking that the 5 will be released much sooner than the 4 due to popularity increase. My only hesitation is that the sp5 will have usb type c.

Personally i dont want to wait for ifs, but curious if i am the only one hesitating.

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I want to get the pro 4, but i keep thinking that the 5 will be released much sooner than the 4 due to popularity increase. My only hesitation is that the sp5 will have usb type c.

Personally i dont want to wait for ifs, but curious if i am the only one hesitating.

That sort of logic can be applied to anything remotely technology-related nowadays - cars, phones, computers, etc. The question you have to ask yourself is what do you want today, and what do you need now.

I agree the USB-C thing was a bit of a letdown but in all seriousness, in the next 2 years or so, it's unlikely to make much of a difference given the limited number of accessories currently and the ones which do exist, are using older cables with the USB-C head half the time anyway which means you aren't really getting much benefit or improvement.

In other words, if it's not something you need right now, and it's unlikely that the Surface Pro (or any computing device you buy this year) will be your last, then I don't think that would be a reason to stop you from buying something which otherwise ticks all the boxes especially when you don't even know if the SP5 will definitely have USB-C. For all you know, the next Surface Dock might even come with USB-C too which in theory may be able to be used with SP4 (although you'd lose some of the whole portability benefit).

I know you said you aren't really wanting to wait so that's why I'm edging you on. If you keep waiting for something then by the time it comes, you'd have wanted something else and will end up sitting there never progressing (although that could be good if you're content now and trying to save money).

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

You should get what works for you... If the Pro 4 doesn't seem like it'll work for you, then don't get it! Wait for the Surface 4 or the Surface Pro 5. The Pro 5 won't be coming any time soon, considering that it was JUST released in India, and in Spain (where I am) It has been out, literally, for 3 months... It would be absolute suicide to release a Pro device in the near future. Usually companies wait 12 months before launching a brand new product... Even then, 12 months is very fast...

Once again, get what works for you. Type C is something I personally DON'T want on my device, because I use "legacy" USB 3.0 and 2.0 devices EVERY day. How lame would it be to go to a meeting and someone hands you a USB drive and you can't use it because you only have USB C? Totally.. Then that means you get the honor of carrying around yet ANOTHER adapter for something! If MS wants to EXPAND the ports from 1 to 2 usb ports and one of them being type C, then that's fantabulastico, but otherwise, no thanks (for my usage). I know someone will argue that "it needs to be thinner"... I disagree. I think these devices need to be more powerful and last longer on their charges, rather than being "thin"... The SP4 is SUPER THIN NOW! It replaces my desktop for 90% of what I do that isn't gaming! I think it's plenty thin and packs a lot of power... But let's make it last longer!

DasWindows

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
That sort of logic can be applied to anything remotely technology-related nowadays - cars, phones, computers, etc. The question you have to ask yourself is what do you want today, and what do you need now.

I agree the USB-C thing was a bit of a letdown but in all seriousness, in the next 2 years or so, it's unlikely to make much of a difference given the limited number of accessories currently and the ones which do exist, are using older cables with the USB-C head half the time anyway which means you aren't really getting much benefit or improvement.

In other words, if it's not something you need right now, and it's unlikely that the Surface Pro (or any computing device you buy this year) will be your last, then I don't think that would be a reason to stop you from buying something which otherwise ticks all the boxes especially when you don't even know if the SP5 will definitely have USB-C. For all you know, the next Surface Dock might even come with USB-C too which in theory may be able to be used with SP4 (although you'd lose some of the whole portability benefit).

I know you said you aren't really wanting to wait so that's why I'm edging you on. If you keep waiting for something then by the time it comes, you'd have wanted something else and will end up sitting there never progressing (although that could be good if you're content now and trying to save money).

I agree with everything you say. But there is one reason i feel like waiting to see if it has USB type c next time would be better. That is so it can charge through USB type c and still have a regular usb.

Though i don't mind the external ports having it in the furture, but i would prefer a smaller charger.

Honestly i can wait for the next surface as it is more of a want then a need at the moment, but honestly i can see the surface helping me way more with certain things than my laptop.

DasWindows

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
You should get what works for you... If the Pro 4 doesn't seem like it'll work for you, then don't get it! Wait for the Surface 4 or the Surface Pro 5. The Pro 5 won't be coming any time soon, considering that it was JUST released in India, and in Spain (where I am) It has been out, literally, for 3 months... It would be absolute suicide to release a Pro device in the near future. Usually companies wait 12 months before launching a brand new product... Even then, 12 months is very fast...

Once again, get what works for you. Type C is something I personally DON'T want on my device, because I use "legacy" USB 3.0 and 2.0 devices EVERY day. How lame would it be to go to a meeting and someone hands you a USB drive and you can't use it because you only have USB C? Totally.. Then that means you get the honor of carrying around yet ANOTHER adapter for something! If MS wants to EXPAND the ports from 1 to 2 usb ports and one of them being type C, then that's fantabulastico, but otherwise, no thanks (for my usage). I know someone will argue that "it needs to be thinner"... I disagree. I think these devices need to be more powerful and last longer on their charges, rather than being "thin"... The SP4 is SUPER THIN NOW! It replaces my desktop for 90% of what I do that isn't gaming! I think it's plenty thin and packs a lot of power... But let's make it last longer!
Technology is always releasing something new every year now. If not sp5, then just surface 4 will be next.

Again the type c is more for just being a port in my mind. But it can replace the charger as well, and we can still keep the USB port as well.

Maybe because i have never seen the charger before, will check it out in a bit, but i would rather just have a plug and a usb type c cable instead of a whole proprietary charger. And external gpu connections.

mr_fomo

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site

Now that Microsoft got in "sync" with Intel, you're probably right, that we'll see a SP refresh in the second half of 2016 based on Kaby Lake.
If I didn't already own a SP4, I'd probably wait it out.

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I agree with everything you say. But there is one reason i feel like waiting to see if it has USB type c next time would be better. That is so it can charge through USB type c and still have a regular usb.

Though i don't mind the external ports having it in the furture, but i would prefer a smaller charger.

Honestly i can wait for the next surface as it is more of a want then a need at the moment, but honestly i can see the surface helping me way more with certain things than my laptop.

I have to admit I agree that having the charger on a separate port is great and this is something I saw with my Surface 3 and the MicroUSB charger - but given the amount of focus the Surface connect port is getting, I doubt it'll go away in the next version (although it may be supplemented with USB-C charging?). The downside to relying on USB C charging though is that you don't know if it'll be in the next version, and even if it is, will USB C chargers be so plentiful and efficient that it makes it worthwhile? It becomes a bit pointless if they keep Surface Connect and replace the current legacy USB port with a USB C since as mentioned above you'll need an adaptor to use it anyw

Ultimately though, if you see the productivity benefits for your work now, why not lock it in now, get ahead, do well, and then budget for a replacement in the future once SP6 comes out.

DasWindows

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Now that Microsoft got in "sync" with Intel, you're probably right, that we'll see a SP refresh in the second half of 2016 based on Kaby Lake.
If I didn't already own a SP4, I'd probably wait it out.

I think i will wait it out. I am only doing this because i am sure something new will be brought to the table soon.

I might also have to switch providers if next microsoft phone does not come to verizon. Want the lumia 950 xl like crazy, but i want to see what happens with a more finished mobile product.

I have to admit I agree that having the charger on a separate port is great and this is something I saw with my Surface 3 and the MicroUSB charger - but given the amount of focus the Surface connect port is getting, I doubt it'll go away in the next version (although it may be supplemented with USB-C charging?). The downside to relying on USB C charging though is that you don't know if it'll be in the next version, and even if it is, will USB C chargers be so plentiful and efficient that it makes it worthwhile? It becomes a bit pointless if they keep Surface Connect and replace the current legacy USB port with a USB C since as mentioned above you'll need an adaptor to use it anyw

Ultimately though, if you see the productivity benefits for your work now, why not lock it in now, get ahead, do well, and then budget for a replacement in the future once SP6 comes out.

My thought was that they could have both usb versions. The c for multi connection, continuum support with their dock, and a smaller and more portable charger. And current usb port while tech still revolves around it. Also it could make more room having a usb type c port instead of prop charger.

As for need. Well i have a need for it, but i think i want it more than what i actually need it for. As in i could wait it out until Microsofts keynote, but at the same time it is like people are saying and i might just be waiting for nothing.

Mainly i am having trouble being patient with their phone and tablet, but i also feel they are just 1 more step away from having two complete products and that i should be patient.

I should mention i am only looking at the base model.

On another note, this article is a bit unsubstantiated but might help sway you one way or the other:

Could care less for some of those changes except battery. Weighing less is fine, but sometimes more is better.

I think they should focus more on price point and usable features.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon