AU Issues with Video and all Browsers

jrhurley

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi Everyone

After the AU was successfully installed, I am experiencing issues with Chrome, Edge, and Opera. They are all freezing and then crashing when doing normal browsing.

Videos will not play in any app at all and I cannot get sound to work either. None of these things were issues prior to the AU and has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

John

jrhurley

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Update

I rebooted a few times and I am seeing some improvement and was able to see youtube and netflix video for the first time. I did nothing else but reboot a few times.

Lets see if this is the end or just a moment of good luck

Link Kadeshi

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I think I'm having a similar issue with my SP4. From a cold start, if I try to play a movie, for instance, I will find it endlessly load (In Movies & TV, with a loading circle. VLC, gives a simple black screen. For instance.). If I restart, and try the same (or any other) video file, it will work flawlessly. I have not tried audio, though I got a message once asking if I was having audio issues. Sadly, I don't have internet where I use my girl, so I can not check internet, nor do I have my music loaded onto her. While a reboot helps, it happens again next time.

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I think I'm having a similar issue with my SP4. From a cold start, if I try to play a movie, for instance, I will find it endlessly load (In Movies & TV, with a loading circle. VLC, gives a simple black screen. For instance.). If I restart, and try the same (or any other) video file, it will work flawlessly. I have not tried audio, though I got a message once asking if I was having audio issues. Sadly, I don't have internet where I use my girl, so I can not check internet, nor do I have my music loaded onto her. While a reboot helps, it happens again next time.

Hi.

Did you fix this issue? I have a brand new SP4, 2 days old, updated it straight away to AU 14393.51 and I'm having the exact same problem. :cry:

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Same problems here. I just can't fathom how unreliable and disappointing Microsoft hardware is... my SP4 is all but useless after AU, my Lumia 950 is a complete turd as well. So frustrated... How can the release software that doesn't even work properly on their own stuff?!

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if this will help anyone else, but on my SP4 the audio and video playback issues ONLY seem to pop up when the system is started up from an off state. If I go Start > Power > Shut Down and then turn the computer on again later, nothing works right. However, if I then restart the system after letting it boot up from being off (Start > Power > Restart) everything seems normal. It's so weird... I don't get it.

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if this will help anyone else, but on my SP4 the audio and video playback issues ONLY seem to pop up when the system is started up from an off state. If I go Start > Power > Shut Down and then turn the computer on again later, nothing works right. However, if I then restart the system after letting it boot up from being off (Start > Power > Restart) everything seems normal. It's so weird... I don't get it.

Exactly the same here. When I turn the SP4 on following a full shut down the microphone does not work, the speakers (although I can adjust the volume) do not play sound and videos do not load/play in any browser. But then if I Start > Power > Restart, everything works as it should do once the device has restarted! Restarting the device is a workaround at least.

I've only had my SP4 since last Friday and installed the Anniversary Update straight away. Did you have the device prior to the AU? If so, did it load up and work ok from a full shut down prior to the AU?

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Exactly the same here. When I turn the SP4 on following a full shut down the microphone does not work, the speakers (although I can adjust the volume) do not play sound and videos do not load/play in any browser. But then if I Start > Power > Restart, everything works as it should do once the device has restarted! Restarting the device is a workaround at least.

I've only had my SP4 since last Friday and installed the Anniversary Update straight away. Did you have the device prior to the AU? If so, did it load up and work ok from a full shut down prior to the AU?

Yes, I've had my SP4 for nearly a year; the ownership experience has been lackluster at best with constant problems from app crashes to poor battery life, blue screens to random touchscreen stoppages, it's laughable for an ostensibly premium device. Anyway, yes, everything worked fine before AU dropped and further ruined the experience.

Link Kadeshi

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I have not found a solution. I think a hard reset would fix the issue, but I just don't know. As I stated before, the best I have is a reboot, and that is not a great fix. Just glad she boots in seconds, otherwise I'd be more angry. I have actually had a great experience with my SP4 since I bought her at launch. Minimal problems, until this.

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I've had my SP4 for nearly a year; the ownership experience has been lackluster at best with constant problems from app crashes to poor battery life, blue screens to random touchscreen stoppages, it's laughable for an ostensibly premium device. Anyway, yes, everything worked fine before AU dropped and further ruined the experience.

I have not found a solution. I think a hard reset would fix the issue, but I just don't know. As I stated before, the best I have is a reboot, and that is not a great fix. Just glad she boots in seconds, otherwise I'd be more angry. I have actually had a great experience with my SP4 since I bought her at launch. Minimal problems, until this.

I have managed to get a recovery file from the Microsoft website and recover to 10586. Have now done Windows Update and am on 10586.545. I shall see how my SP4 behaves on start up with this build over the coming days.

Out of interest, what model SP4 are you both using? I'm wondering whether the AU has caused this bizarre start-up issue with certain models? I have the Core m3, 4GB Ram and 128GB SSD.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
I have managed to get a recovery file from the Microsoft website and recover to 10586. Have now done Windows Update and am on 10586.545. I shall see how my SP4 behaves on start up with this build over the coming days.

Out of interest, what model SP4 are you both using? I'm wondering whether the AU has caused this bizarre start-up issue with certain models? I have the Core m3, 4GB Ram and 128GB SSD.

Mine's the i5 model with 256 GB of storage, it's also one of the first ones that went on sale; I got in in October of 2015, IIRC. Things had finally stabilized with whatever build it was running before AU dropped, then it came along and ruined things again, LOL. I don't think any other company could screw things up as profoundly as Microsoft, all I can do is shake my head.

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site

Mine's the i5 model with 256 GB of storage, it's also one of the first ones that went on sale; I got in in October of 2015, IIRC. Things had finally stabilized with whatever build it was running before AU dropped, then it came along and ruined things again, LOL. I don't think any other company could screw things up as profoundly as Microsoft, all I can do is shake my head.

I have found the following suggestion on another site:

By default, a shutdown uses the Fast Startup, a restart does not. Try disabling(unchecking) Fast Startup.
28a0d78c-1f79-495a-a0bc-67ad9c4cd008.PNG

I've currently painstakingly recovered back to 10586.545 and everything is working fine on first start-up following a full shut-down. Could one of you who are still on the AU try this possible solution and report back with your findings please, as to whether it resolved the issue or not? The thinking is that if everything works perfectly after a Start > Power > Restart (which apparently does not use "Fast Startup"), it could just be down to an issue with "Fast Startup" (which is apparently used after Start > Power > Shut Down) in the AU.

Many thanks,
Paul

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site

By default, a shutdown uses the Fast Startup, a restart does not. Try disabling(unchecking) Fast Startup.
View attachment 129719

I've currently painstakingly recovered back to 10586.545 and everything is working fine on first start-up following a full shut-down. Could one of you who are still on the AU try this possible solution and report back with your findings please, as to whether it resolved the issue or not? The thinking is that if everything works perfectly after a Start > Power > Restart (which apparently does not use "Fast Startup"), it could just be down to an issue with "Fast Startup" (which is apparently used after Start > Power > Shut Down) in the AU.

Many thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Very interesting find! I had no idea this was even a thing. I'll make sure to check it out after work today and report back.

- Craig

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site

View attachment 129719

Many thanks,
Paul

Well, I made this change as you suggested and it appears to have solved the issue! I made the tweak, powered the machine down and then started it up again and Windows chimed at me before the log-in, audio and video successfully plays. MANY THANKS! I wonder what the issue is here?

- Craig

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Well, I made this change as you suggested and it appears to have solved the issue! I made the tweak, powered the machine down and then started it up again and Windows chimed at me before the log-in, audio and video successfully plays. MANY THANKS! I wonder what the issue is here?

- Craig

Excellent - is it still behaving today? If it seems to have resolved the issue for you, then I think I will chance it and upgrade to Anniversary Update over the weekend :).

After finding that potential solution and posting it here, I ventured over to the Surface Book forum of this site and it seems like some of them also are plagued with this problem (it turns out that somebody also posted that potential solution in a thread on that forum a few days back - I wish I'd seen it before trying the further couple of fresh installs of the AU and then recovering back to 10586, it could have saved me a lot of time!!).

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Excellent - is it still behaving today? If it seems to have resolved the issue for you, then I think I will chance it and upgrade to Anniversary Update over the weekend :).

After finding that potential solution and posting it here, I ventured over to the Surface Book forum of this site and it seems like some of them also are plagued with this problem (it turns out that somebody also posted that potential solution in a thread on that forum a few days back - I wish I'd seen it before trying the further couple of fresh installs of the AU and then recovering back to 10586, it could have saved me a lot of time!!).

So far, so good, though I don't think I've shut 'er down yet today.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
CraigCole -
13paul13 -
X0LARIUM - The three Musketeers fighting the AU issue all by themselves. LOL. I have the same and I've spoken to MS. Downgrade does put things back in place. I even did a reset. But this magical solution suggested by 13paul13 is something I have to test it and check.

And CraigCole that's exactly what my view is of MS. Can you image they can't fix a small driver issue? I am coming from a MacBook Air where everything "just works", it is even more frustrating for me.

But let's positively turn things around and INFORM MS about an issue which in the first place they should have solved.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

Exactly what happens to me too. But things are looking positive. Hold tight.

jrhurley

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Confirmed that the fast start option after a shutdown is performed seems to be the issue. Tested it with it on and the issue reoccured but after I turned it off and then shutdown and cold started I could play video again.

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm on the Release Preview ring on my SP4 and have installed Build 15063.11 this weekend. Fast StartUp was re-enabled by default upon upgrading but I've not encountered any of the video/audio issues that were introduced with the Anniversary Update. Whatever the issue was appears to be resolved with the Creator's Update :).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion