EMBARASSING and APPALLING - That's what my Surface Pro 4 is.

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Hope you found the fix. Read the link 13paul13 gave.

the fix is a simple untick in Power options > system settings

Should work wonders... Let us know

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Paul, firstly thanks a lot. Your suggestion worked wonders.

BUT...

My keyboard stop responding, I mean when I connected it, nothing. I again clicked on Fast boot (or whatever it is), it worked fine. Does anyone else have this keyboard not responding issue?

Also, do you guys keep the keyboard connected all the time or keep it detached?

Thnks!

borgeindergaard

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
I did a fresh install of Windows 10 AU and the latest Surface Pro 4 drivers and firmware from here: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ad%2Fdetails.aspx%3Fid%3D49498&token=kxc5y8Cq and I've never had any problem with my i5/8GB/256GB. The only thing I've done is disable fast boot (which I do on all my Windows devices, including my Lenovo work laptop), and also disable the Intel driver's adaptive contrast control, which is just frigging annoying.

fly_branch

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I had many problems too that made the machine unusable. I rolled back prior version, then updated again to same problems, so I went to recover area in the update section, clicked on link for a fresh clean install that wipes machine and starts fresh. I went to bed and woke up with a perfect running updated machine. Reloaded software I needed and I am good to go.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I have the issue with the sound too on my Surface Book. My Surface Pro 4 just came in the mail yesterday, let's see if It happens to that one too

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I have no idea about Surface book, but I always do fresh installs on my Lumia when major updates hit the streets. same with the current AU update. No glitches so far

Thorgal Aegirsson

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I did a fresh install of Windows 10 AU and the latest Surface Pro 4 drivers and firmware from here: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ad%2Fdetails.aspx%3Fid%3D49498&token=yUX8zaSY and I've never had any problem with my i5/8GB/256GB. The only thing I've done is disable fast boot (which I do on all my Windows devices, including my Lenovo work laptop), and also disable the Intel driver's adaptive contrast control, which is just frigging annoying.

And why would I want to disable fast boot? that's one of the selling point of SP4/Win10 - that they actually work ALMOST like Mac. You should be able to open the computer and work fast, not wait two minutes before the computer starts. The way I work is that I need to turn off or put my computer to sleep very often. I can't do that with Surface. Putting to sleep means that it will not wake up. Turning off with fast boot means it will freeze. It's ridiculous. I can't imagine how much people need to love the company to defend this thing. It's not healthy to be so loyal to an organization to be blind to apparent failures.

ray963

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Shhhh... Don't say anything bad about the SP4 or MS or you'll be put on trial for treason and working for other companies... Hahahaha
Jokes aside, reading about these problems till now, I'm so happy that I returned my SP4 (January) and dodged the bullet, but I'm hoping this scenario won't repeat itself when they release SP5 or I'll be done with anything that MS manufacture

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Shhhh... Don't say anything bad about the SP4 or MS or you'll be put on trial for treason and working for other companies... Hahahaha
Jokes aside, reading about these problems till now, I'm so happy that I returned my SP4 (January) and dodged the bullet, but I'm hoping this scenario won't repeat itself when they release SP5 or I'll be done with anything that MS manufacture

Yet I'm quite happy with mine.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

I am already done with MS. Unstable software, no apps and hardly any logical policies to keep the current (little) section of loyal users together. No thanks. It's just that I can't stand Apple and hate Android. I am stuck in a bit of a loop.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
And why would I want to disable fast boot? that's one of the selling point of SP4/Win10 - that they actually work ALMOST like Mac. You should be able to open the computer and work fast, not wait two minutes before the computer starts. The way I work is that I need to turn off or put my computer to sleep very often. I can't do that with Surface. Putting to sleep means that it will not wake up. Turning off with fast boot means it will freeze. It's ridiculous. I can't imagine how much people need to love the company to defend this thing. It's not healthy to be so loyal to an organization to be blind to apparent failures.

True. But believe me, when I have put my hard earned money into something, I want it to work. When it doesnt, I have to look for a way to make it work. Or I have an option to return my BRAND new SP4 and settle for a second hand, refurbished one, that may have 10 times the issues this one does.

Mikeman

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site

Here's the thing - I have now been a Surface Pro 4 owner for almost a year now - I have reloaded Windows (multiple versions) several times due to the fact that I am an IT Guru and a hacker from way back - I tend to screw up my Operating System quite often, so reloading it happens I'd say at a minimal of 2x a month. I have had some of the issues you are facing, but it was not my fault, nor the systems fault. The system is merely doing what you its designed to do upon a re-install or upgrade.

Here is the deal - Once you reload the system and get past all of the initialization screens, and get to the point you either activate your system - It can now update. The thing I was doing that conflicted with system peripherals, (sound, video etc) was allowing the Windows update to occur before I applied the downloaded Surface Drivers. This would in fact cause things not to work, and I would just have a slew of issues.

To avoid this in the future - you can try disconnecting from the internet, then installing your downloaded Surface Drivers - rebooting, reconnecting - and then the Window Update will sense that you have current drivers installed for your hardware, and commence to downloading other updates etc...

Currently I am running Windows 1607 *(Ver 14393.187) - I have ran all types of Windows Versions in order to "test out" which runs best with the Surface Pro 4 - and thus far - the above mentioned version seems to run flawlessly. One of the first things I did, within a week of purchasing my SP4 - was to reinstall Windows - as the version of Windows Pro that came with the machine seemed "clunky" and slow. If you need some assistance by chance on setting up a USB drive to install Windows - please let me know and I can send along a set of directions that will ensure first time success. Sometimes getting RUFUS to set up an Windows Installation using FAT32 can be a little tricky

I agree with what others have said in their comments - if you are so unsatisfied with your purchase - why haven't you just returned it? Being the IT Guy that I am - I have used all kinds, built all kinds of machines. I have to say that the Surface Pro 4, for its size - is one of the most Powerful Tablets I have ever encountered. I had a fellow IT guy log onto my Surface Pro 4 via TeamViewer and in less than 30 seconds of poking around - he asked me "dude - what kind of machine is this??" - When I told him it was a TABLET PC he was, as I am - astounded at its performance. This of course is based on which processor / memory you have. (SP4, i7, 16GbRam, 500GB HD) in which I gladly paid a whopping $2900 at the time. Now - whenever, if ever the SP5 comes out - I will wait for the "newness" to wear off, and the price to come down, and most importantly - the reviews by professionals to come out.

I have found that through several Forum Websites, most of the issues people are complaining about - are user issues. Which can be easily taken care of with a little Google, know-how, and ever so slight research/ Instead of complaining about an issue - Users should read and enjoy (if they like this sort of thing) - Enjoy the challenge of overcoming software issues. You see - your complaints are ALL software / driver related....This assumption is based of course that you didn't mention your Surface Pro 4 came out of the box without sound, and the other issues you meant. This occurred after either an update, or re-installation.

What I would recommend in your case - is going to the Surface Pro 4 Driver installation package, opening it, and removing all the drivers currently installed - reboot, re-install, reboot and I can guarantee that as long as your hardware has not failed at the core - your issues will be taken care of........This also applies to any other software you may have on your machine - after you re-install the SP4 drivers, remove the other software giving you heartache - and re-install it. I hope I haven't managed to offend you, or anyone else - but hey if the shoe fits.......wear it.....if it doesn't - Oh-well I tried.

Thorgal Aegirsson

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
@Mikeman First of all, you called yourself IT Guru and a hacker and you regularly reinstall your OS and that's fine if you like it but no one reasonable can expect a person to spend $2900 like you did and go through all the hoops you just suggested to have his computer work. It's CRAZY!!!
Second, it doesn't work. I happened to have a loooot of issues with exactly the same conf as yours plus surface dock and since AU was released I reinstalled windows probably 10 times already. Also the way you proposed. It doesn't help a bit.
Third, the update from yesterday (.222) actually fixed a lot of things. Fingers crossed but so far I managed to even shut down my SP a few times without freezing. AMAZING!! A $3k computer that doesn't freeze while restarting.
The bottom line is that the problem lies somewhere deep in the OS and MS simply screwed it up. Again. As they've been doing for the past two years (coincidental with some important appointment and changes in the company).
Lastly, since there seems to be a big group of people who have problems and another big group of people who claim their machines work perfectly fine and the first group is stupid and can't appreciate what they have it leads me to conclusion that although officially the specs are the same, the components in those computers are not. Apparently they use some different parts that do not work they same with the drivers MS provide. And we can all try different gimmicks like installing drivers from various places in various order and it won't help until MS actually release the correct drivers.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Numerous updates and the issue still persists. Hopeless as ever. Totally disappointed with an expensive toy like this. Plus the high-handedness and attitude MS has shown (we will NOT give you a NEW device, but a refurbished one), I have decided, from now, Microsoft/Windows: No thanks, I will pass. And
user-offline.png
is absolutely right. I am buying a Windows Machine for stability and for things to "just work". If I wanted to tinker with the system so much (which takes SO MUCH of my time), I would have got myself an Android Pixel C or whatever it's called, with a buffet of operating systems, from MIUI to Flyme to CM to PA. Also, I have a feeling on a long run, I might install OS X on my surface.

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Plus the high-handedness and attitude MS has shown (we will NOT give you a NEW device, but a refurbished one)

This is not a new practice, nor is it "high-handedness" as you put it. MOST companies do this, from Apple to HTC to Samsung, to Turtle Beach and, yes, Microsoft. Whenever you send in a device for service or if it is defective, they will ship you a refurbished device or factory reconditioned one. If you take an iPhone into an Apple Store and they cannot fix it, you will get a refurbished device.

The only way to get a brand new device is to be within your return period at the retailer you purchased it from, and exchange at the point of sale.

So, the easy thing to do, is to take it back to where you bought it from, and exchange it for a working device. If you are within the return window, they will do a defective replacement. This is a real thing, as I had a bum Surface 2 device, and took it back to Best Buy within my 30 day return window, and had it swapped out with zero hassle.

HOWEVER... if you are outside of the return window from your retailer, I'm afraid you have 2 options here.

1. Accept a refurbished/factory reconditioned device.
  2. Sell it on eBay/CraigsList and be done with it.

And as far as factory reconditioned/refurbished goes, most of the time the device was returned with cosmetic defects. It cannot be sold as new stock, so they fix whatever cosmetic or possible internal issues may have existed. Then, you get it with the EXACT same warranty as a new device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon