Gaming - Minimum System Requirements and SP4

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I know it's been asked and answered that the SP4 can do some light gaming. My question is more specific. I'd like to know more about a games suggested system requirements, the capabilities of the SP4, and the disparity between the two. I have the i7 with 256GB storage and 8GB RAM. When looking at a games system requirements, they always post graphics card requirements and this is usually the limiting factor when checking sites like systemrequirementslab.com and the like. It reports back that I only have 128MB of memory on my graphics card. I understand where that comes from with the Intel Iris Graphics. All I've been able to find is that the i7 has Intel Iris Graphics, but doesn't give me any specs about it.

So here's the question. When looking at a games minimum suggested system requirements, what can I realistically expect to be able to play? Something that requires 512MB, 1GB, 2GB, etc.? It's going to be somewhat subjected for what's acceptable to some and what isn't to others. I'm talking bare minimum graphics settings to allow the best frame rate. I'd be satisfied with something in the 20-30fps range considering the hardware limitations.

Just want to say, this is by no means my main gaming machine. I also have an Xbox One S and a desktop. It would just be nice to take some games with me when traveling. I'm trying to narrow down which games I shouldn't even bother wasting time on by downloading them only to find out they run like crap.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Intel Iris Graphics 540 - NotebookCheck.net Tech

This is what's in the i7 Pro 4, but do know that performance may vary depending on the Pro 4's thermal design, etc. But that site is a good starting point and includes gaming examples.

I wouldn't base much on VRAM requirements since raw horsepower is going to be the bottleneck regardless. In the absence of data like above, I would try to see the card they require at a minimum and find benchmarks for that.

And then find benchmarks for the Pro 4's graphics (which are in the link) and compare accordingly.

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! I wasn't sure which Intel Iris Graphics it was since there are many. This certainly helps put things into perspective for me.

Edit: Now that I'm back home on my SP4 I can see where it actually tells me the Intel Iris Graphics 540. DERP!

Last edited:

Achike Da

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I installed steam on my SP4 i7. And surprisingly, ultra street fighter IV plays like a dream. unfortunately, street fighter V won't even bulge, no matter how I tried to tweak it. I'm not a very techy person so maybe u can tweak it better. Resident evil raccoon city plays good but makes the fan stay on through out which is scary to me. But generally, I noticed older games do much better (ofcourse) than newer ones. L.A. Noire is currently on sale on steam and I was hoping to get it but I don't know how that will play.. Tomb raider definitive edition plays with some lag but I think with a little tweaking (messing with frame rates and resolutions etc) it should be ok. Hopefully, the makers of graphics cards will figure out a way to reduce the size and heat produced on their devices before SP5 hits the market. A much better graphics card will make the device totally awesome.

please reply with a list of those games you've tried too because like you, my main driver is an xbox one, but wait times at the airport and in coffee shops have been made bearable because I game on the sp4.

N.B. hope my weird game list helps :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss