Need an honest opinion on the Surface Pro 4

3yE

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
Hi there,
I come from fellow community, Crackberry. Currently, I am looking for a device to replace my old HP laptop and have the SFP4 in mind. I read quite a lot about SFP4 in the last few days and most of the negative comments was about the UI of tablet mode which is not really ideal for hand gestures. Is there any other weaknesses about this devices that I should be aware of ?

HM84

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Wi-fi is a bit of an issue. Very slow at times, and resetting wifi from troubleshooting does not help all the time. This on the latest available update too.

A lot of sites give me trouble logging in or entering payment details, because of the touchscreen's tendency to switch from one box to the other at will. I suppose if you use the keyboard alone in that case it would save you the trouble.

I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem. If not then you can rest at ease and go for one.

3yE

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
Wi-fi is a bit of an issue. Very slow at times, and resetting wifi from troubleshooting does not help all the time. This on the latest available update too.

A lot of sites give me trouble logging in or entering payment details, because of the touchscreen's tendency to switch from one box to the other at will. I suppose if you use the keyboard alone in that case it would save you the trouble.

I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem. If not then you can rest at ease and go for one.
Is Microsoft actively working on patching those type of issues? Coming from Blackberry, I have known what it is like to use a half baked product. Oh and one more question. If I am going to use SFP4 mostly for light Word and Excel editing, movie watching and some Lightroom editing, is the core M3 sufficient for those tasks?

HM84

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
I use the i7, but I am certain that the m3 should be more than enough for Office and video. Can't speak on behalf of Lightroom but other photo editing software seem to be fine. For reference I tried to run videogames on it, with a surprising degree of success, although on some games it does heat up but what mobile device doesn't?

Honestly it is a nifty device, and I am the type to work around the faults of whatever I get my hands on. So I'm still happy with it. I also hear that updates are supposedly resolving issues. Hopefully my wifi troubles would be over soon.

If someone pops up with a better experience than mine and convinces you, take the m3. Don't waste your cash on an i7 unless you're sure you need the extra bump in specs.

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Haven't had any issues with Wi-Fi being slow, but it doesn't always connect right away on my home network like it should and sometimes it shows as no internet connection. Usually clicking on the Wi-Fi icon forces it to connect and for those cases where it shows no internet connection disconnecting and reconnecting typically fixes it.

I also have the i7. An M3 should be able to handle the light Microsoft Office stuff. Can't speak to Lightroom either as I've never used it myself. I can't imagine it's anywhere near as resource intensive as Photoshop would be though. Seems to be a fairly stripped down photo editor, but enough for basic stuff. I know with the i7, a lot of people have said they can run the full Photoshop.

I've never really used tablet mode. I typically keep it in desktop mode. There may be some benefits with tablet mode, but desktop mode hasn't really caused me any grief.

AndrewMBaines

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
In the past, I always bought cheap and nasty laptops and viewed them as a disposable business requirement. I was able to get a Surface Pro 4 with 70% discount as it's a demo licence for MS Partners.
So far, I'm stunned at the quality and usability. I flip between using it as a tablet and a laptop depending upon whether I'm just browsing/quick email or doing 'proper work'.
I have 2 very minor problems:
1) Some websites struggle if I don't use a keyboard - sometimes the scrolling doesn't work (Wordpress issue), on one site, I can't enter the single password characters (1st, 3rd, 5th etc) as it double types for some bizarre reason.
That aside, it's an excellent device.
2) Slight yellow stain on screen to one side. I could return, but it's not visible in normal use.

My wife has a Surface 3 as she needed something lighter for work. Browsing/email it's excellent. Minor problem with wifi not connecting sometimes, but rare enough not to be a major problem.

3yE

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
Thank you all for your comments. While reading about SP4, I have seen some tech sites compare SP3 and SP4. They both can handle my requires tasks which are Offices, video playback and Lightroom smoothly. The question I am having is that
1. Should I purchase SP3 because it is much more affordable for the same specs. My budget is tight.
2. Does the SP3 get free update to Win10?
3. I also head that the Type cover of SP4 is better compared to that of SP3 and it can be used with SP3 out of the box?
Thanks again

PPCApache

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I had a Surface Pro 3 , which I had to send in for a repair, lucky I had bought an extended warranty and they advised it was stuffed (USB/Power issues) I upgraded to the SP4 i5 and love it, logging in with "Hello" is easy and fast. I also have a SP4 type cover (had been using my SP3 version with the SP4) and a UAG Magma Scout case which I have done a review on here.

My wife had been using my SP4 as her Toshiba was SOOOO slow, she liked it so much that I bought her a SP4 for Christmas.

I use my SP4 for the following:
* Editing my website
* Using Adobe Fireworks
* Using Adobe Lightroom
* Syncing my GoPro Hero 5 Black
* Editing GoPro video's
* Web surfing
* Word and Excel projects
* Minecraft

I also use the SP4 Docking station which extends the use of the SP4 with the ability to use dual screens and more USB devices.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I have the Core i7 with 8 GB RAM and 256 GB storage... Lightroom actually is heavier in terms of resources than Photoshop (unless you are working at extremely high resolution with many layers in Photoshop). Sometimes I feel Lightroom is a bit laborious even with the i7. I seriously doubt the M3 will be good for that workflow. Now, Lightroom does feel really fast sometimes but sometimes it feels slow (and it's hard to tell why that happens). If you're only doing a few pics here and there in Lightroom, the M3 will probably be fine. Just deal with the speed. But if you are working with hundreds or thousands of pics (which I do), then you will go crazy dealing with the M3.

Note that I only work with RAW photos (produced from a Canon 6D and a Canon T5i) at full resolution.

3yE

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
I have the Core i7 with 8 GB RAM and 256 GB storage... Lightroom actually is heavier in terms of resources than Photoshop (unless you are working at extremely high resolution with many layers in Photoshop). Sometimes I feel Lightroom is a bit laborious even with the i7. I seriously doubt the M3 will be good for that workflow. Now, Lightroom does feel really fast sometimes but sometimes it feels slow (and it's hard to tell why that happens). If you're only doing a few pics here and there in Lightroom, the M3 will probably be fine. Just deal with the speed. But if you are working with hundreds or thousands of pics (which I do), then you will go crazy dealing with the M3.

Note that I only work with RAW photos (produced from a Canon 6D and a Canon T5i) at full resolution.
Cant believe Lightroom is more resource intensive than PTS. I use Lr occasionally, adding few layers here and there to the raw files captured by my Sony A6000. No way I am dealing with hundreads file, let a lone a thousand. Well, M3 should be fine.

HM84

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Thank you all for your comments. While reading about SP4, I have seen some tech sites compare SP3 and SP4. They both can handle my requires tasks which are Offices, video playback and Lightroom smoothly. The question I am having is that
1. Should I purchase SP3 because it is much more affordable for the same specs. My budget is tight.
2. Does the SP3 get free update to Win10?
3. I also head that the Type cover of SP4 is better compared to that of SP3 and it can be used with SP3 out of the box?
Thanks again

The free upgrade to Win10 was over last summer. Unless you buy a refurbished one that has been upgraded beforehand, you're going to have to shell out for it. If you used Win8 before and you're fine with it, then go for it.

Have you thought about the ASUS Transformer 3 (not Pro)? I have no clue how much it's supposed to cost, pound for pound, since it's not available where I am, and ASUS' site is not very cooperative. It comes with Win10 out of the box, so if it's less expensive then it might actually be what you need.

3yE

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
The free upgrade to Win10 was over last summer. Unless you buy a refurbished one that has been upgraded beforehand, you're going to have to shell out for it. If you used Win8 before and you're fine with it, then go for it.

Have you thought about the ASUS Transformer 3 (not Pro)? I have no clue how much it's supposed to cost, pound for pound, since it's not available where I am, and ASUS' site is not very cooperative. It comes with Win10 out of the box, so if it's less expensive then it might actually be what you need.

I heard abt this device too and know that it is the competitor of SP but this device is not distributed in my country, meaning nowhere selling it. I have not even seen anyone dumpinng a used AT3 while it is quite the opposite with SP. The market to trade used SP is large and its maintenance is also very popular here.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,
I come from fellow community, Crackberry. Currently, I am looking for a device to replace my old HP laptop and have the SFP4 in mind. I read quite a lot about SFP4 in the last few days and most of the negative comments was about the UI of tablet mode which is not really ideal for hand gestures. Is there any other weaknesses about this devices that I should be aware of ?

I know two things about SP4.
1. UI in tablet mode is really intuitive and very nice. People using Windows phone normally love it. Others need to use it for some time to get used to it.

2. The writing experience using the pen is not that good. There is a lag of around 1 second. Nevertheless, is good for drawing and painting.

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

You are the second person I've seen today who has come from Crackberry ^_^ haha. Great to see new people joining the Windows forum :D

I would recommend it. A friend of mine has one and I've only heard positive reviews. (he is a fan boy though haha) I see in the comments above that your budget is quite tight. The only thing i would recommend is upgrading the RAM to 8GB. That will help in the long run keeping things smooth. i also see that you intend using 'Lightroom' for editing. Again this is where 8GB will come in handy. Also if you can spare the cash, and upgrade to an i5 instead of the M3 will greatly help things :)

Hope this helps.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
If it helps I have 3 Surface tablets at home including an i5 SP4 and they are the only tablets I would consider using.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a Surface 3 (4/128) and it is great. I just purchased the Surface Pro 4 Core-M Bundle from Best Buy that came with the Alcantara keyboard for 699.00 and I think it's fantastic. Extremely fast, no fan noise, beautiful screen and the keyboard is much better than the previous gen keyboards were. I am actually surprised at how fast it is and I find Windows 10 tablet mode to be very good as well. I have had zero issues wih WIFI or anything else. Really is a great machine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes