should I pull the trigger?

twig6986

Oct 25, 2007
Visit site
I have an old Android tablet and I'm due for something new. I was thinking about getting the Surface Pro 4. I read around that there are rumors of a new one coming out March or in the Spring. Should i wait it out for a little? Or pull the trigger on the current model? I've read all good things about the tablet except for the battery life. Any reasons I should or shouldn't get it? Thanks!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Should:
It's beautiful.
It's a full PC, complete with pen input and other cool stuff.
It's svelte.
It's a great all-around device.
An upgraded model may not come out soon.
Launch kinks have been worked out.

Shouldn't:
It's a full PC. (it may be overkill depending on what you're looking for, this is something to replace a Macbook Air or other laptop, not an Android tablet)
You can't repair it. (battery replacement or upgrades? HAH)
Not the most durable.
It's relatively pricey (or not) depending on what you're looking for.
An upgraded model may come out soon.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If you are looking for a full computer, it's one of the best 2-1 ones out there. If you are looking for a tablet to play games, I would either get an android tablet or iPad :)

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I used to have an Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9". Around this time last year I was debating replacing it with another Kindle or an Android tablet. I hadn't even considered an SP4 until I went to Best Buy and actually started playing around with one. That changed everything for me and I'm glad I made the decision I did. I use my SP4 a lot more than I use my desktop now, it has a lot more functionality than a standard tablet, and is more portable than a traditional laptop.

As for waiting or not, it's possible Microsoft could release a new model later this year. I'm sure they're working on something, but the question is when and I don't think you'll ever get a firm answer. The major benefit from waiting would be a significant price cut on the SP4 when a new model is released. From a hardware perspective though, the SP4 still has a lot of life left in it and any future model would probably just be a minor upgrade.

EDIT: Oh, and you can run Android apps on it if you're willing to use an emulator. I use one for a handful of apps that just aren't available on Windows or don't have an equivalent, but I try and stick to stuff that's in the Windows Store as much as possible.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
EDIT: Oh, and you can run Android apps on it if you're willing to use an emulator. I use one for a handful of apps that just aren't available on Windows or don't have an equivalent, but I try and stick to stuff that's in the Windows Store as much as possible.

What this person said. Using a full Windows PC allows you to do so much more, I'm baffled why some still choose to go Chromebook. And don't lecture me on prices; there are literally Windows laptop being sold at the same price point as a typical Chromebook.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Just to add that you can get a very capable Surface Pro 4 at a nice discount now or wait until a new version comes out and pay top dollar for it. Depends on what you want to spend but The Surface Pro 4 is a great machine.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Get it. I just picked up the M3 and run AmiDuOs for my Android fix.
It was time to put my Note Pro 12.2 out to pasture, but I miss my LTE already. Nothing beats pulling out your tablet and being online instantly no matter where you are. Tethering is so 8 years ago.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers