My first problem with the Studio

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I have had my Studio for exactly one month, and the first non-trivial (but ultimately fixable) problem occurred today. I interrupted work to take care of household obligations and came back an hour later to find the mouse and keyboard unresponsive. They still showed as paired in the BT list, so after plugging in an old Logitech mouse and keyboard set I unpaired the Surface accessories and tried to pair again. Nothing. I pulled the batteries and reinserted them. Nothing. I restarted the Studio. That put me into a half-hour "restarting" loop that I ended with a long power-button push when it was clear nothing was happening. I tried a system restore to a three-day-old restore point . The restore operation failed with error 0x8007091 and a directory fault. I retried with an older restore point from a week ago. That failed with same error. I went to Device Manager and looked for updated drivers; a wireless mouse driver was installed but offered no improvement. Other mouse and keyboard drivers were said to be up to date. Finally, since I had been having networking problems (but until this morning no Bluetooth problems) after updating to 14986.1001, I rolled back to the previous version of Windows, 14965 (I am in the Slow Ring on the Studio).

And the problems went away. The keyboard and mouse were functional again on restart, which is heartening, but it would have been preferable for them not to have stopped working in the first place.

I'm reporting this not in a spirit of anger or disappointment, but just as a matter of interest and a caution that even the finest device can have a bad day now and then. The Studio remains the best computer I have ever used. I would be happy if larger problems never occur in the future, but as a computer user for decades I suspect something will go wrong sometime. I'll report again if it does, so a long stretch of silence on this topic should be considered good news.

bucfan11

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
You have the Studio on the Insiders program? If it is a critical computer, no way should it be running pre-release software.

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I understand your point without agreeing with it. There's a safe path and an exploratory path for nearly everything in life. If early adopters were constitutionally capable of playing it safe, they would never jump immediately on hardware like the Studio in the first place. And once the commitment to the hardware has been made, there's not much sense in restricting oneself to the aging current-release OS when a mostly reliable Slow Ring version of the Creators Update is available for a machine obviously designed to make the most of the CU's new features.

In any event, cynics would say that even the current-release software is just a really late beta in a process that will always benefit from further improvement. Where does anyone draw the line? It's pretty much an individual call, I think.

locowd

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I have had an issue with other keyboards attached to it. the ergonomic desktop set. because crazy slow and freezes sometimes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon