The Dell Canvas looks great, and seems to muddy the waters in this new category of Windows Artist PC's.
    Which one interests you more?
    It's considerably less expensive than the Surface Studio, as long as you already have a Windows 10 PC. And it seems to be what a lot of people around here have been asking for - a pen-monitor that can connect to any Windows 10 PC.

For me, the problem is that when other people in my household want to use the computer, they will just want to use it as a regular computer, not as a drawing tool, and the Canvas will just be in the way. It seems like the Dell Canvas would need to be dedicated for use as an art machine, while the Studio doubles as a normal desktop computer.
    01-06-2017 05:21 PM
    You can have the canvas sitting in a drawer or something and then bring it out when needed

though those bezels make it look weird
    Guytronic likes this.
    01-06-2017 11:55 PM
    No, it's too large for any drawer. The thing is gigantic.
    01-10-2017 09:15 AM
    The Canvas is not a PC. It is a peripheral. So why are you comparing it to the Studio?
    01-10-2017 04:23 PM
    The reason for the comparison is obvious. They are both designed for drawing directly on the screen, though they each take a different approach. It is natural to wonder which approach appeals to more people. Also, on the various forums discussing the Surface Studio, MANY people have been complaining that the Surface Studio should have been designed as a pen-monitor, with no computer inside, as the Dell Canvas has done. I am curious to see if the Dell Canvas satisfies those users.
    01-10-2017 05:36 PM
    Again, one is a PC and the other is a peripheral. There is no direct comparison. The Canvas is a competitor to the Wacom Cintiq as well as other similar products, which has existed long before the Studio. That is a fair comparison. Those who want a peripheral already had that option and now has one more option. None of these products are the same or even similar to the Studio.
    01-10-2017 06:26 PM
    No, these systems will naturally draw interest from the same audience, and the two systems will be in competition for customer dollars.

It is proper to bring them up in the same discussion, and to support my argument, here are some links to other sites that are comparing the two systems:
    1. The Verge - Dell's Canvas is like a Surface Studio without the PC
    2. Windows Central - Dell's Canvas display lets you get a Surface Studio without buying a whole new computer
    3. The Tech Report - Dell Canvas draws a bead on the Surface Studio
    4. WindowsLatest.com - Dell’s Canvas is a Surface Studio without the PC
    5. CNet.com - With its own custom dial controller, this feels like a cross between a Cintiq tablet and Microsoft's Surface Studio.
    01-11-2017 11:09 AM
    I think most people who think of the Canvas and the Studio as competitors aren't professional artists. I find the articles comparing the two are mainly done becauae the Surface Studio has name recognition, so will get more clicks than comparing it to a Cintiq.
    surfacefanboi likes this.
    01-17-2017 10:33 PM
    I will wait for the surface studio performance version, so the display is powered by a decent GPU.........As for the Dell, that underpowered screen resolution was a mistake, they could have out foxed MS by going for a big resolution screen that worked well with a beefy PC & GPU attached.
    kittengirl likes this.
    01-18-2017 04:15 AM
    I'm very interested in it. I'm thinking of setting it on my desk in between my big 4k screen and me. My existing keyboard is on a tray that would slide out of the way underneath it. So, I wouldn't always use it as a touch screen, but it would effectively replace my desk surface with another display and also give me a touchscreen or drawing surface on my desktop. That is just awesome.

Personally, I think this is fantastic and maybe an even more useful application of touch (with respect to productivity, not entertainment) than a tablet.
    01-27-2017 01:10 PM