Is the Surface Studio good for video editing?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a buddy that's very much into video editing and production. He asked me last night if the Surface Studio would be a good choice for his needs. Wanted to get feedback from the community here to see what you might recommend?

He's on the hunt now for a new setup, so anything goes. Price not a HUGE factor, but it is a consideration. Would you go with the Surface Studio or another setup?

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I guess the first question should be what software has he been using? And on what platform? If he's already a Windows guy, I can't imagine the Studio would be a step down from whatever hardware he is using now. If he has been embedded on Planet Apple until now but is looking to change, he might want to get a less expensive Surface unit first to see if he can easily train himself to software differences. If that works out for him, he could sell the tablet -- a Pro 4, maybe? -- and move up to the Studio.

I'm not comfortable telling someone who knows a lot more about video editing than I do what the best hardware is for such activity. But sound decision trees have a pretty universal structure, so that's why I encourage him to start with his established process in general rather than the box in particular. Maybe he will find he'd rather work on a Pro 4 that has a 4K 34-inch monitor hanging off it.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
@DCW1000 - really good points you make. I do think he is coming from 'planet apple'. Going to mention the Surface Pro 4 + monitor setup to him. Might be the best way to go.

Also good point on the software. Not sure what he has been using (probably Final Cut, Premier or something) but I'll find out...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077