Will the Surface Pro replace my Laptop

mafu6

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
As the title says will the Surface Pro replace my currently dying Laptop

Now I am more than likely to get a Surface, which one I am undecided. I mainly use my Laptop for a few low graphic games like Football Manager, browsing the web, listening to music and watching videos. Now the only thing that really bothers me about a Surface Pro is it has 1 USB 3.0 slot (correct me if I am wrong) Will it support USB mass storage devices and interfaces such as a USB contoller, I have a wired controller and a bluetooth mouse, as i can stand usuing the trackpad, especially playing FM. Will all this be supported? If so I think that buying a Surface Pro with a keyboard/cover (really cool btw) that has feedback rather than the touch one, then I doubt I will need my Laptop at all... Is this what the Pro version is designed for?

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Any USB device your current Windows machine can use, the Surface Pro can too. Since it has an i% processor, low graphic games will be no problem. If you need more than one USB port, you are probably at a desk so hooking it to a usb hub shouldn't be a problem.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
as long as u get the pro version all ur stuff will work (i dont know what kind of game ur referring to so im assuming they need to be installed.)

usb port is abit of a issue, but ive seen several really tiny usb hubs, u can always carry one around in case u need it

the RT version, im assuming, will work with most usb devices as well, same kernal and all, but software wise u may run into some issues if ur looking to replace ur laptop with it

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I don't own a desktop and prefer a laptop for home use. I have 17" VAIO laptop that's beggin to be replaced by a Surface Pro 8. I think 10" would be too small though as a replacement. I'm going to need at least a 15" and get a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for home. The keyboard cover will come with me when on the go.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes it should and for the first time the Intel Intergrated Graphics are actually decent (provided it gets the HD 4000 all other ultrabooks with Ivy Bridge are getting).

It has bluetooth, so can support Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. USB port is full, unfortunately due to size only one is included but you can get a USB Hub to extend this to more than one port.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes it should and for the first time the Intel Intergrated Graphics are actually decent (provided it gets the HD 4000 all other ultrabooks with Ivy Bridge are getting).

It has bluetooth, so can support Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. USB port is full, unfortunately due to size only one is included but you can get a USB Hub to extend this to more than one port.

There is no reason it would have any other graphics. The integrated graphics are part of the SoC and I cant see why Microsoft would order a special custom chip with integrated graphics that preform worse while consuming more power.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I don't own a desktop and prefer a laptop for home use. I have 17" VAIO laptop that's beggin to be replaced by a Surface Pro 8. I think 10" would be too small though as a replacement. I'm going to need at least a 15" and get a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for home. The keyboard cover will come with me when on the go.

I don't mind a 10" screen for normal use, if I want more at home, I'll just dock it to a Monitor (HDMI) and USB Hub for KB/Mouse and you have a fully docked desktop. =)

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I don't mind a 10" screen for normal use, if I want more at home, I'll just dock it to a Monitor (HDMI) and USB Hub for KB/Mouse and you have a fully docked desktop. =)

That could work! That way, I could go with an even larger screen and still keep tablet portability, in regards to size and weight.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
That could work! That way, I could go with an even larger screen and still keep tablet portability, in regards to size and weight.

That's what I intend to do. Use the Surface Pro as my main computer, with a home server to store my Tbs of data and a large screen TVs / monitors in every room I'd need it (office, recording studio, kitchen, living room - although the Xbox may cone into play here)

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Yeah likely I'll still have a main desktop for gaming and such, but my "daily driver" machine that I'd use for work (Citrix XenDesktop VM at work), laptop/tablet for portable on the go work/play could easily be a Surface Pro, with docking capability like I described above when needed. And yeah vp710, a server/HTPC for media and such to stream to all the PCs or TV.

joeaux

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Surface will rock. I'm going for the Pro version just cause I'm a power user and I need the i5 or better yet an i7 (if it's available). Nice road machine that you can dock with a monitor, external drive, keyboard and mouse when you get home. And finally someone in the PC world is catching on and building a nice, high quality device that we would pay a little extra for. You know, something that looks nice and has that nice high quality "feel" in your hands. Yeah, I'm a getting one as soon as it hits the market.
-joe-

dlusted

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Until the Specs are released for the Pro, I'm still on the fence on ditching my Laptop.....

Granted my laptop is bordering on 4 years on, but being told I can get Win8 Pro on this too is making me want to keep it....

But I'm liking the sounds of hooking this up to my TV and using is as a super size desktop PC.... Oh, the choices!!!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Im excited about Surface. But keep in mind that the Surface Pro won't be the only tablet/slate with Windows 8.

If you need a larger screen or more ports, there might be other options out there. Asus looks like they are working on some nifty stuff.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
For me it will depend on the pricing. If they price this at $999 forget it I am not buying it. $600-$700 is about what I would do. I want to sell my Macbook and get a Windows 8 Pro tablet device it would be my tablet and my laptop which to me is an awesome proposition. But I have to wait on a lot of unknowns to be resolved.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
For me it will depend on the pricing. If they price this at $999 forget it I am not buying it. $600-$700 is about what I would do. I want to sell my Macbook and get a Windows 8 Pro tablet device it would be my tablet and my laptop which to me is an awesome proposition. But I have to wait on a lot of unknowns to be resolved.
Hate to break it to you, but that's how much the stripped down Windows with RT sells for. $999 sounds about what it will be

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Also keep in mind that the surface keyboards don't work in your lap. If you actually need the laptop feature then a convertible might be a better option.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Hate to break it to you, but that's how much the stripped down Windows with RT sells for. $999 sounds about what it will be

I could see
  • $799 for Surface Pro 64 GB w/out cover
  • $899 for Surface Pro 64 GB w/ TouchCover
  • $999 for Surface Pro 128 GB w/ TouchCover

The hardware may be better, but the product does not include Office.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Until the Specs are released for the Pro, I'm still on the fence on ditching my Laptop.....

Granted my laptop is bordering on 4 years on, but being told I can get Win8 Pro on this too is making me want to keep it....

But I'm liking the sounds of hooking this up to my TV and using is as a super size desktop PC.... Oh, the choices!!!

Surface Pro specifications have been out for quite awhile on Surface.com. Now it's just a matter of wating.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I love what MS have done with the Surface RT and what the Pro promises however i just cant see using the pro to replace a laptop - I need at least an i7 and i need 8gb ram with decent graphics in order for me to use it for work. Personally im looking at getting a Surface RT just for kicks and invest in a hybrid convertible from maybe Lenovo or the new Asus S7 aspire. Just need to wait for the surface to come back in stock and the other OEMs to release their machines. Am also keeping my eye on Kupa ultranote as it looks like it will give me everything i need from just one device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3