XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

Leader of the pack

HP's Spectre x360 15 just might be the best all-around laptop

New or refurbed?

Is a refurbed Surface right for you?

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bauerbach
  1. RStock521's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Title says is all. Why does the Surface Pro use Minidisplay port over the Mini HDMI that the RT uses? I would think that the mini HDMI is a lot more common and would lead to less confusion...any input?
  2. chriscookz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    121 Posts
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    I believe that displayport is a more functional and versatile port, capable of sending audio signals as well as data, not just images and video. Could be a reason? I could be wrong too.
  3. rebornempowered's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    166 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by RStock521 View Post
    Title says is all. Why does the Surface Pro use Minidisplay port over the Mini HDMI that the RT uses? I would think that the mini HDMI is a lot more common and would lead to less confusion...any input?
    I believe it is because Display Port is more functional. It can do analog without a fancy adapter. I was hoping both the RT and the Pro would have display port but at least Microsoft made a decently priced analog adapter available for RT so I can use it with a projector.
  4. ChrisLynch's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscookz View Post
    I believe that displayport is a more functional and versatile port, capable of sending audio signals as well as data, not just images and video. Could be a reason? I could be wrong too.
    HDMI 1.4 offers video, audio and data through a single connector. DisplayPort is Video (can support multiple video streams, where HDMI cannot) and Audio only.
  5. xkxkxk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Displayport can run a screen at 2560x1600 ... most hdmi cables / displays can't handle that. You can able get cheapo displayport to 2x hdmi adapters.

    Displayport is pretty common now in corporateland (maybe not so much in SMEs). HP elitebooks and thinkpads use displayport - surface pro will be competing with those.
  6. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,057 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Biggest reason is the ability to use analog sources. And for the record, Surface RT does not have a mini-HDMI port. It has a propriatary connection marketed as an HD port. They sell HDMI adapters, among others.
  7. Fleon's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    174 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    Biggest reason is the ability to use analog sources. And for the record, Surface RT does not have a mini-HDMI port. It has a propriatary connection marketed as an HD port. They sell HDMI adapters, among others.
    There are people reporting that MicroHDMI cords fit and work in the Surface. I've just ordered a cord from Amazon, so I guess we'll find out soon enough.

    And to the others above- I have no idea why they went with DisplayPort. Makes no sense to me. HDMI supports 2560x1600, can carry sound, and can do ethernet and 3D. More importantly, it's in far more displays than DisplayPort.

    Just wierd.
  8. mister2d's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    481 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,005 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleon View Post
    There are people reporting that MicroHDMI cords fit and work in the Surface. I've just ordered a cord from Amazon, so I guess we'll find out soon enough.



    And to the others above- I have no idea why they went with DisplayPort. Makes no sense to me. HDMI supports 2560x1600, can carry sound, and can do ethernet and 3D. More importantly, it's in far more displays than DisplayPort.



    Just wierd.

    It's not proprietary. My generic HDMI cable I had lying around worked fine on my (now returned) RT.
  9. Nataku4ca's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    433 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    here are my thoughts and my experience

    1 - it say proprietary HD Video out, but I used micro HDMI and it worked, without any issue in the video or audio, only thing is my HDMI cable is a bit stiff so it bends the port a bit... so i might end up buying their adapter anyways, since it has a softer cord connection to the tablet then at the end it's just a HDMI port to plug in your regular HDMI cable, all that said, YES Micro HDMI works

    2 - Display Port, it is actually a very versatile port and is the direction that the computing world is trying to go, i think for the Pro Display port actually makes more sense, as it can drive two monitors at once, so if u want to use your pro as your main computer you can and have dual big screen to work on whatever you are trying to do, and given the massively higher bandwidth, i think it can also support touch input when you connect to those larger panels (assuming they include touch capability), the latter part is speculation, but the dual screen part is actually very interesting to me
  10. dsp4's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    DisplayPort is definitely the superior standard, and it's also a royalty-free specification, meaning Microsoft doesn't have to pay to use it in their products.

    For comparison, HDMI costs $10,000/year + 4-5 cents per unit produced. A drop in the ocean for MS, but still.

    Also, it supports pretty much everything HDMI does, like audio, 3D & 4K video, ethernet andthen more, like USB signals. Current touchscreen displays require to be connected via both a video cable and an USB cable. I wouldn't be surprised if DisplayPort touchscreens would only require to be connected through a single DP cable.
  11. pdch's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    391 Posts
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Simple, display port can push much more data than hdmi and can run analog or digital without a convertor. To give you an idea of how much more data, a single current display port can push up to 6 1200p monitors if your gpu has the power.
  12. bauerbach's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    223 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    analog, that's it, end of story.

    MANY workplaces still use VGA connections on old conference room projectors.

    also why you still see VGA outs on enterprise laptops.
  13. Nataku4ca's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    433 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bauerbach View Post
    analog, that's it, end of story.

    MANY workplaces still use VGA connections on old conference room projectors.

    also why you still see VGA outs on enterprise laptops.
    not attacking you, just saying, there are hdmi to vga connectors too...

    HDMI to VGA HD15 (Male) Cable: Amazon.ca: Electronics
  14. jhoff80's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,416 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,395 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    It's because mini-displayport is capable of higher resolutions (therefore a better connector) and because it's also royalty free. Why would you want a connector that does less?
  15. bauerbach's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    223 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nataku4ca View Post
    not attacking you, just saying, there are hdmi to vga connectors too...

    HDMI to VGA HD15 (Male) Cable: Amazon.ca: Electronics
    trick is that you need a special port, same for DVI. many pc video cars are designed this way, in the case of DVI they call it DVI-a, Im not certain, but I think it is just able to piggyback an analog signal onto 3 pins. If the card cant do that, you need an active digital to analog converter to make the switch.

    I would assume its the same trick for display port, but maybe its a more "standard" feature for display port, as opposed to a variant.
    Nataku4ca likes this.
  16. pdch's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    391 Posts
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bauerbach View Post
    trick is that you need a special port, same for DVI. many pc video cars are designed this way, in the case of DVI they call it DVI-a, Im not certain, but I think it is just able to piggyback an analog signal onto 3 pins. If the card cant do that, you need an active digital to analog converter to make the switch.

    I would assume its the same trick for display port, but maybe its a more "standard" feature for display port, as opposed to a variant.
    Just read the spec for that hdmi/vga cable. Good luck with one of those. The only reliable way to go from hdmi to vga is with an active convertor like hdfury.

    Analog/digital is standard to displayport.
  17. Bmstrong's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    How many different types of display port connectors are there?
  18. Tempest790's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    My second monitor by HP is a very slim model and only has one displayport connector. If I travel and need a full size monitor, it will work perfectly, so displayport out is a must for me. Most consumer laptops have HDMI, but business models appear to have displayport.

    There are many displayport to HDMI adaptors available but almost no HDMI to displayport adapters. Apparently it's a very expensive/difficult to make that happen for whatever reason. If they ever make a Surface Pro 2, I hope they even go thunderbolt (same connector as displayport) for even more versatility.

Posting Permissions