Surface Pro Delayed?

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Looks like it could be Jan 29th;

"Microsoft has sent out invitations in Brazil for an event on January 29 and the tagline is a "release that will surprise you." While we do not have any more official information, it would seem all but certain that Microsoft is going to be showing off the Surface Pro and make the device available for purchase."

Microsoft hosting event on January 29 in Brazil, Surface Pro is the likely suspect

kind of curious... i mean we already know Surface Pro is coming, if it is the pro it wouldn't be much of a surprise, they better put out something really surprising if they are going to use that word (surface phone? :p)

Steve Ridges

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I hope when they do finally have the event, it's not just some official announcement that it will be available on X date. I want to freaking buy one this month.

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
hasn't been msfts style to announce and launch devices on the same day.

Nor does it seem likely that msoft would go to brazil to do so.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Usually, it doesn't work that way. I've been a production worker for about 10 yrs (8 with Toyota and 2 with Konami) and we QC parts as we install them on the line. Parts come from vendors, straight to the warehouse, tightly packaged and wrapped. Then warehouse delivers to the line. Parts such as chips and boards don't usually get QC'd till the end of the line, before it gets ready to ship.

Also @smssmth1975; I wasn't talking about QC'ing the chips, but rather the finished Surface Pro's. Until they can produce the required number, they can not run QC tests. Since the first true production run just recently came off the line, I would bet they are keeping the date vague in case they have an too large of an initial SURFACE PRO fail rate. The fan/cooling mode has not been tried before, so these things could melt down under heavy load. The device near CES was a testbed, not final production unit - and I would bet they made sure it did not get pressed too hard (evidenced by the fact no one could use it for more than 45 minutes).

Anyway, all just a guess as to why they are staying vague.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
1) The 29th event is office related I believe.

2) Why would anyone get something like a Vivo tab? Don't the samsung/asus ones have atom processors? Bleh.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
2) Why would anyone get something like a Vivo tab? Don't the samsung/asus ones have atom processors? Bleh.

the thing is that power consumption on the atom is comparable to the arm version, so if u get 5 hours on the i5, u can get 10 out of atom, not a bad trade off tbh

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I'd rather wait to a solid product than a rushed one. Surface Pro looks like the complete package to me

Too bad haswell laptops will come out in June. It makes me want wait and see what those laptops will look like.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

D

Deleted member 199301

I still shocked we haven't seen any reviews yet this close to launch.

D

Deleted member 199301

I'd say the earliest we'll see reviews is late this week, but I'm thinking it's more likely to see the review embargo lifted around mid next week.

You would think if the Pro is that much better you'd want the reviews out sooner to build word of mouth.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I'd say the earliest we'll see reviews is late this week, but I'm thinking it's more likely to see the review embargo lifted around mid next week.
That is exactly what happened with the Surface RT. The RT was released on 10/26, and reviews starting popping up on 10/23.

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You would think if the Pro is that much better you'd want the reviews out sooner to build word of mouth.

Not exactly, you want reviews to hit just before the product launches, when purchase interest is at it's highest. Not 2 weeks before, when interest would decrease by the time launch day arrives.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism