Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    The webpage no longer says "Coming in January 2013".

It has been updated to say "Coming in early 2013". This indicates that the release date has been pushed back.

Surface with Windows 8 Pro is powerful

Global Posts
    1,354 Global Posts
    Maybe it's just because it is now January 2013?

PM me for more details
    Writer

Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Dang... I was considering getting one in February.
    Games Editor - Windows Phone Central, Android Central, and iMore
    Email: paul.acevedo@wpcentral.com
    Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo
    Twitch: Twitch.tv/EastXtwitch - Please subscribe to my channel and tune in for broadcasts!

Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Well... This kind of stinks.

I wanted to get one in January... But if I can't, I might consider ASUS or Samsung.

The hardware is pretty, but I can't go from tablet (iPad 3) to no tablet and wait...

well their sales call is the 24th.. Perhaps they don't want to release the product right before that date and run the risk of reporting a low number for it based on other sales information they have for RT and research at MS about consumer interest in the pro?

They will probably have a release event for this I would think right? This may not be something they just want to "oh hey! it's available now!". I would think they'd want to show it off to everyone so perhaps keep an eye out for an announcement on a press event? Could be using it as a way to get some good publicity after the sales call. I don't know what type of numbers they will be reporting but if i were to guess, i'd say regardless many sites like CNET and the verge are going to write about how bad MS is doing and failing.. so they may want to surface pro tablet to redirect the focus.

Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Pretty insightful. See that happening, realistically. The vivotab does look nifty, though.

Isn't Office 13 supposed to released somewhere around the 29th? I thought I read somewhere that might release them both at the same time. The wait is horrible though! Come on MS, hurry up and take my money!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by wbdillworth View Post
    Maybe it's just because it is now January 2013?
    Very good possibility. Although the wording they used seems like they are trying to hide something. If it really is coming in January, and they wanted it to be clear, it should have read "Coming this month".

So because of this I still have doubts. I guess only Microsoft knows the answer right now.... =P

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    Wonder if a delay is due to the surface RT's reception?

I wanted a surface pro BUT I'm not ready to chuck that kind of money at a tablet yet

Global Posts
    1,354 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Carpenter View Post
    Very good possibility. Although the wording they used seems like they are trying to hide something. If it really is coming in January, and they wanted it to be clear, it should have read "Coming this month".
    I agree, was trying to be a little optimistic for the fans. :)

PM me for more details

Quote Originally Posted by Villain View Post
    I wanted a surface pro BUT I'm not ready to chuck that kind of money at a tablet yet
    It's an ultralight.... think of it as a laptop with tablet capability, but tbh, I would wait for haswell to be included before getting one if you don't need it right now

Don't panic folks as Microsoft said this 30th November that the Pro would be launched in January. The Surface site in the UK didn't ever talk about launch of the RT until very close to the launch date so not surprised they aren't saying much.

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts
    Can't wait for the Pro.

It'll be my PC/tablet on the go.

But at home I'll hook it up to a high-res monitor as well as Wedge keyboard and mouse.
    Thanked by:
    kittengirl likes this.

This isn't the most concrete of evidence, but I figure it doesn't hurt to share...

About that Microsoft Surface Pro release date | Microsoft - CNET News

The article still has end of January as the release Window, so we'll see.

My understanding is release date is still late January. BUT, if it's going to be a few weeks longer to ensure getting the new i5 longer battery life chips (announced at CES), I'm happy to wait that little bit longer.
    Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_304 using Board Express Pro

Global Posts
    346 Global Posts
    Get ready to put your money down around Jan. 27th I'd say. ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tropolite View Post
    My understanding is release date is still late January. BUT, if it's going to be a few weeks longer to ensure getting the new i5 longer battery life chips (announced at CES), I'm happy to wait that little bit longer.
    Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_304 using Board Express Pro
    They obtained all of the initial run chip inventory in Nov and Dec, so the chips wouldn't be the hold up. From what I understand, all of the components are ready. My guess is they are staying vague on the release date since they just recently got the chips and will want to have time to QC enough of them to make sure they don't have a large fail rate.

Quote Originally Posted by pdch View Post
    My guess is they are staying vague on the release date since they just recently got the chips and will want to have time to QC enough of them to make sure they don't have a large fail rate.
    Isn't that something the chip manufacturer is supposed to do?

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdch View Post
    They obtained all of the initial run chip inventory in Nov and Dec, so the chips wouldn't be the hold up. From what I understand, all of the components are ready. My guess is they are staying vague on the release date since they just recently got the chips and will want to have time to QC enough of them to make sure they don't have a large fail rate.
    Usually, it doesn't work that way. I've been a production worker for about 10 yrs (8 with Toyota and 2 with Konami) and we QC parts as we install them on the line. Parts come from vendors, straight to the warehouse, tightly packaged and wrapped. Then warehouse delivers to the line. Parts such as chips and boards don't usually get QC'd till the end of the line, before it gets ready to ship.

Looks like it could be Jan 29th;

"Microsoft has sent out invitations in Brazil for an event on January 29 and the tagline is a "release that will surprise you." While we do not have any more official information, it would seem all but certain that Microsoft is going to be showing off the Surface Pro and make the device available for purchase."

Microsoft hosting event on January 29 in Brazil, Surface Pro is the likely suspect

Quote Originally Posted by fc000 View Post
    Looks like it could be Jan 29th;

"Microsoft has sent out invitations in Brazil for an event on January 29 and the tagline is a "release that will surprise you." While we do not have any more official information, it would seem all but certain that Microsoft is going to be showing off the Surface Pro and make the device available for purchase."

Microsoft hosting event on January 29 in Brazil, Surface Pro is the likely suspect
    kind of curious... i mean we already know Surface Pro is coming, if it is the pro it wouldn't be much of a surprise, they better put out something really surprising if they are going to use that word (surface phone? :P)

I hope when they do finally have the event, it's not just some official announcement that it will be available on X date. I want to freaking buy one this month.

hasn't been msfts style to announce and launch devices on the same day.

Nor does it seem likely that msoft would go to brazil to do so.

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaap View Post
    Usually, it doesn't work that way. I've been a production worker for about 10 yrs (8 with Toyota and 2 with Konami) and we QC parts as we install them on the line. Parts come from vendors, straight to the warehouse, tightly packaged and wrapped. Then warehouse delivers to the line. Parts such as chips and boards don't usually get QC'd till the end of the line, before it gets ready to ship.
    Also @smssmth1975; I wasn't talking about QC'ing the chips, but rather the finished Surface Pro's. Until they can produce the required number, they can not run QC tests. Since the first true production run just recently came off the line, I would bet they are keeping the date vague in case they have an too large of an initial SURFACE PRO fail rate. The fan/cooling mode has not been tried before, so these things could melt down under heavy load. The device near CES was a testbed, not final production unit - and I would bet they made sure it did not get pressed too hard (evidenced by the fact no one could use it for more than 45 minutes).

Anyway, all just a guess as to why they are staying vague.

Global Posts
    1,305 Global Posts
    Just one disaster after another for Microsoft.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast