Surface Pro Storage

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
The one thing that really bums me out about the Surface Pro is that it maxes out at 128GB. Does anybody happen to know if that is a user replaceable upgrade? i would really like to put a 256GB SSD in it (does it use an ssd or is it some sort of proprietary storage?). Then again, if someone would just release a 128GB micro sdxc my problem would be solved :amaze:

anilraj

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Not answering your question directly.
But, here are things you can try.

Use SkyDrive (7GB)

Surface Pro comes with memory slot. So you can have a mini-SD.

There are lot of portable external hard disks there. You can carry one of them.

The major memory hoggers are video, music, and photos in that order.
You can move videos to external hard disk.
Keep the most listened music in the computer and move the rest to external hard disk.
Photos, you can keep in your computer.

If you do that, it will take years to fill up your 128GB (minus 16GB for Win8).

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I used to think that 128gb wouldn't be enough. I recently upgraded my pc to a128 gb SSD (OCZ Vertex 4) and frankly I think that it's more than enough. I've created a home server with my 7 year old Dell that stays on and I've plugged my external HDDs on there so I can watch or listen to whatever I want.

csd_images

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
128Gb is fine, seriously it's got a SD card slot, and more importantly it's got a USB 3 connector and those drives are fast enough to read/back up to (I can get speeds of around 50-60mb/s with my Passport drive). I work off a 140Gb primary drive on my own workstation and have done for the last 6 or 7 years. Yes it takes more micro-management of your data but it's not really a hardship unless you're using this as your primary system.

I'm going to be using this device alongside a 5D Mark II/Mark III and storage will be a headache as those RAW/PSD files can burn through space.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks - but unfotunately 128GB isn't enough for what we need to do and carrying around a usb drive all the time defeats the portability aspect. This machine is going to be for my wife (an artist). We've moved her My Pictures folder (over 100GB) into her SkyDrive folder (using Properties -> Location) and need to be able to sync all the photos/image files to the surface. A 128GB micro sdxc would be ideal but sadly doesn't exist yet. This will be her primary system.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
This machine is going to be for my wife (an artist). This will be her primary system.

not that this is any way more useful in terms of portability when you get out of the house, but have you considered mapping a network drive to it? that way at least local network should be fast enough to work with

side question, is your wife artist by hand or photoshop/illustrator type? i mean if she's going to use those tools, i think you will want to get her something that has a bit more graphic prowess...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3