- 01-15-2013, 05:45 PM #1
I've had a Samsung Series 7 slate for almost a year now, way before the Surface announcement. I've been debating getting the Pro for a little while now, but wanted the opinions of others. The Pro and my Slate are similar in many ways.. I even made an Excel sheet comparing select specs (including my upgrades to the Samsung... like installing Windows 8, etc.) - http://sdrv.ms/108hhca
I've been also thinking that if I get another tablet similar to what I have now... will I be kicking myself when the Surface 2 is announced? Should I just wait for the next Surface?
I appreciate your thoughts in advance!
Last edited by iknowsingh; 01-15-2013 at 06:17 PM.
- 01-15-2013, 09:01 PM #5
01-15-2013, 09:24 PM #6
- 7 Posts
Ill probably get a Surface Pro.
My current hardware situation makes it a reasonable purchase though. I don't have a laptop anymore and I need one. If I were in your shoes, I would just get Windows 8 because your tablet is nice enough as it is.
Edit: didn't see your reply above, but yeah lol I think you're good to go
- 01-15-2013, 09:31 PM #7
- 01-16-2013, 12:44 AM #9
I use it as evidence of tough Dells when people complain about a "****ty" Dell. ;)
01-16-2013, 09:50 AM #14
- 1 Posts
hey say the thread and wanted to share my thoughts and get yours.
I own a samsung series 7 slate which I gave to my gf in view of the upcoming launch of the surface pro. Here is what motivated my choice:
- resolution: the screen is said to be very good on the surface pro, and not only the resolution but some pre-reviews are also acknowledging the new layer technic implemented that really make the screen impressive
- keyboard: I use a lot the touch and pen input but also the keyboard sometimes, which is very convenient to use and ATTACHED to your table in the surface (samsung has a BT keyboard: nice but not very practical on a tablet)
- pen: samsung had one but in the case such as the keyboard, i think having it magnetically attached to the tablet will please me a lot
- kickstand: nice add-on feature, not the first feature motivating my choice but nice addition when watching a movie or typing, not need for the dock of the samsung
- overall some better hadrware: USB 3, Ivy Bridge
- have the money and my gf needed a new laptop
what I will miss from ths samsung:
- the GPS: that was a very nice feature on the samsung which i didnt use very often but saved me a couple of times when my phone battery was dead
- screen size: not sure of this one, will see when I'll take a look at the surface pro but the samsung had a 11'6 screen compared to the 10'6 (but maybe that's fine with me)
01-16-2013, 01:34 PM #15
- 156 Posts
Since your Samsung slate seems to be about 95% of a Surface Pro, I'd wait if I were you. I think the next version will have Intel's Haswell chip in it. That said, I think the Surface Pro will sell like hot cakes and if you don't buy one, that just increased my odds of getting one :).
- 01-16-2013, 03:27 PM #16
I want to thank all of you for your posts.. seems that most of you had the same idea I did :) I will be waiting for the next Surface... but its really tempting to get the Pro. It doesn't seem to make sense to purchase a marginal upgrade. It really is interesting that aside from a few specs, the 7 Slate still keeps up with the Surface Pro, released over a year later.
- 01-17-2013, 04:07 PM #18
- 01-17-2013, 05:45 PM #20
- 01-17-2013, 07:01 PM #21
I kicked myself when the Surface was announced.. but as you said, new things come out all the time. I just got a bit itchy this past month with the Pro arriving soon :P I made this thread to quell that itch a bit... it worked haha
- 01-18-2013, 10:37 AM #23
- 01-18-2013, 11:27 PM #24
- By mafu6 in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows 8 ProReplies: 23Last Post: 11-08-2012, 11:06 AM
- By texbob in forum Samsung FocusReplies: 9Last Post: 10-03-2012, 10:02 PM
- By texbob in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 7Last Post: 09-26-2012, 04:08 PM
- By 12Danny123 in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 15Last Post: 07-13-2012, 12:33 PM
- By thearne76 in forum Phone WarsReplies: 10Last Post: 10-16-2011, 03:06 AM