Get a Surface Pro or keep my Samsung Series 7 Slate?

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I've had a Samsung Series 7 slate for almost a year now, way before the Surface announcement. I've been debating getting the Pro for a little while now, but wanted the opinions of others. The Pro and my Slate are similar in many ways.. I even made an Excel sheet comparing select specs (including my upgrades to the Samsung... like installing Windows 8, etc.) - https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

I've been also thinking that if I get another tablet similar to what I have now... will I be kicking myself when the Surface 2 is announced? Should I just wait for the next Surface?

I appreciate your thoughts in advance!

Last edited:

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I'd wait dude. Good things come to those who wait. I'm still waiting for Hammy's heart to explode. Lets hope our patience pays off.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You could put windows 8 on to your samsung series 7.

Even if it doesn't have a touch screen, there is nothing that the S7 can't do than a Surface Pro.

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
You could put windows 8 on to your samsung series 7.

Even if it doesn't have a touch screen, there is nothing that the S7 can't do than a Surface Pro.
I do have Windows 8 Pro on my Series 7 (since launch night!)... and that's exactly my train of thought right now. Aside from the external hardware differences (sleeker look, kickstand) it's pretty close to what I have now.

:)

DustinBooyah

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Ill probably get a Surface Pro.

My current hardware situation makes it a reasonable purchase though. I don't have a laptop anymore and I need one. If I were in your shoes, I would just get Windows 8 because your tablet is nice enough as it is.

Edit: didn't see your reply above, but yeah lol I think you're good to go

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Ill probably get a Surface Pro.

My current hardware situation makes it a reasonable purchase though. I don't have a laptop anymore and I need one. If I were in your shoes, I would just get Windows 8 because your tablet is nice enough as it is.

Edit: didn't see your reply above, but yeah lol I think you're good to go

+1

My laptop is over 8 years old and pretty much worthless. I currently don't have a tablet either. The Surface Pro is perfect for what I need in portability and is powerful enough to bring Adobe Design Suite, AutoCAD, and development software with me!! :)

failed1234

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
+1

My laptop is over 8 years old and pretty much worthless. I currently don't have a tablet either. The Surface Pro is perfect for what I need in portability and is powerful enough to bring Adobe Design Suite, AutoCAD, and development software with me!! :)
Wow, eight years? Never could get that much out of a laptop...
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Lol, ya its actually still going technically and I put Windows 7 on it a couple years ago. But its really slow, and just not practical anymore. Plus its a decade old Dell design, so its uhhhgly.

I use it as evidence of tough Dells when people complain about a "****ty" Dell. ;)

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Lol, ya its actually still going technically and I put Windows 7 on it a couple years ago. But its really slow, and just not practical anymore. Plus its a decade old Dell design, so its uhhhgly.

I use it as evidence of tough Dells when people complain about a "****ty" Dell. ;)

Dell got ****ty shortly after you bought your old laptop. ;)

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I've had a Samsung Series 7 slate for almost a year now, way before the Surface announcement.
I appreciate your thoughts in advance!
Looking at your comparison chart, it boils down to one question: is upgrading to a 1920x1080 display worth $900?

MashineGun

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
hey say the thread and wanted to share my thoughts and get yours.

I own a samsung series 7 slate which I gave to my gf in view of the upcoming launch of the surface pro. Here is what motivated my choice:
- resolution: the screen is said to be very good on the surface pro, and not only the resolution but some pre-reviews are also acknowledging the new layer technic implemented that really make the screen impressive
- keyboard: I use a lot the touch and pen input but also the keyboard sometimes, which is very convenient to use and ATTACHED to your table in the surface (samsung has a BT keyboard: nice but not very practical on a tablet)
- pen: samsung had one but in the case such as the keyboard, i think having it magnetically attached to the tablet will please me a lot
- kickstand: nice add-on feature, not the first feature motivating my choice but nice addition when watching a movie or typing, not need for the dock of the samsung
- overall some better hadrware: USB 3, Ivy Bridge
- have the money and my gf needed a new laptop

what I will miss from ths samsung:
- the GPS: that was a very nice feature on the samsung which i didnt use very often but saved me a couple of times when my phone battery was dead
- screen size: not sure of this one, will see when I'll take a look at the surface pro but the samsung had a 11'6 screen compared to the 10'6 (but maybe that's fine with me)

Steve Ridges

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Since your Samsung slate seems to be about 95% of a Surface Pro, I'd wait if I were you. I think the next version will have Intel's Haswell chip in it. That said, I think the Surface Pro will sell like hot cakes and if you don't buy one, that just increased my odds of getting one :).

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I want to thank all of you for your posts.. seems that most of you had the same idea I did :) I will be waiting for the next Surface... but its really tempting to get the Pro. It doesn't seem to make sense to purchase a marginal upgrade. It really is interesting that aside from a few specs, the 7 Slate still keeps up with the Surface Pro, released over a year later.

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site

I have a Sony Vaio that's around 6 or years old. Still running strong as long as I refresh the OS every several years or so. I did install Windows 8, but ran really slow though.

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Curious, when you get a surface pro, could you put earlier versions of windows?

The trick is finding drivers for it that are win7 drivers. The keyboard, mouse, and the touch screen are the only real concerns. Everything else is win 7 friendly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I want to thank all of you for your posts.. seems that most of you had the same idea I did :) I will be waiting for the next Surface... but its really tempting to get the Pro. It doesn't seem to make sense to purchase a marginal upgrade. It really is interesting that aside from a few specs, the 7 Slate still keeps up with the Surface Pro, released over a year later.

You can't play the waiting game in tech forever. There will always be something newer. Once the Surface 2 is released, people will be talking about the Surface 3, then the 4. You've got to decide at some point. Every six months in the tech world, they will always be introducing the next newest and greatest thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3